Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 05:35 PM

875 posts, read 1,490,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie1125 View Post
A more detailed story from WTAE Megabus told not to stop at David L. Lawrence Convention Center | Allegheny Co. News - WTAE Home

Megabus operations director Charles Lenzner told Channel 4 Action News reporter Sheldon Ingram that it's basically an overreaction on the part of the Sports & Exhibition Authority, and he thinks the SEA just doesn't want the appearance of people standing on the property waiting for buses.

He said the SEA has raised concerns about littering and too many passengers going inside to use the center's restrooms. "(SEA executive director) Mary Conturo feels it's not a good place for it and feels that they are not clean," said Lenzner.

The area at the bus stop was clean when Channel 4 Action News went there on Thursday afternoon. Many riders boarded and did not leave trash behind.
Yep, ulterior motive... called it.

Not too unlike the discontinuing of the PAT bus stop of the 61 and 71 routes at the corner of Fifth Avenue and Market Street coinciding with the upscale men's fashion shop opening up. Gotta love progress...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2012, 06:14 PM

1,164 posts, read 2,059,569 times
But the SEA really doesn't have any authority to dictate who can pick up passengers on a public street. The only thing they can do is prohibit all stopping. I know Conturo thinks she's God, but really she's not.

Old 06-07-2012, 06:39 PM

3,733 posts, read 5,966,964 times
Yeah, I get the impression that the SEA doesn't want the image of people waiting for a bus to conflict with their publicly-subsidized convention center. And the last time I checked, that was a public street.

Old 06-07-2012, 06:41 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times
Goodness! Leave Megabus alone! Let them have that stop! It is good they are here. Lots of young folks need to get around and it is health for our city. Wish the powers that be were more in touch with all ages and could have a little understanding of those that can travel for a good rate. Cater to Megabus. It is healthy.

Old 06-07-2012, 06:54 PM

875 posts, read 1,490,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Goodness! Leave Megabus alone! Let them have that stop! It is good they are here. Lots of young folks need to get around and it is health for our city. Wish the powers that be were more in touch with all ages and could have a little understanding of those that can travel for a good rate. Cater to Megabus. It is healthy.
I can't believe I'm admitting to this but, yes, Curtis I fully agree with you...

Kinda seems like putting a thumb to the little guy. Of all the sorts of things this city needs to be "enforcing", this is where they're coming down? It's laughable at best, asinine at its worst.

Any takers that Greyhound is somehow involved with this? Petitioning the SEA or something along those lines?

Old 06-07-2012, 07:29 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times
Why is it so hard to believe in admitting agreeing with me. I am not exactly a dim bulb. I do understand I am ahead of the curve, but some may catch up and get it. No offense.

Old 06-07-2012, 09:26 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,624,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
I do understand I am ahead of the curve, but some may catch up and get it.

Old 06-08-2012, 05:46 AM

802 posts, read 1,321,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeo View Post
Yeah, I get the impression that the SEA doesn't want the image of people waiting for a bus to conflict with their publicly-subsidized convention center. And the last time I checked, that was a public street.
Mary Conturo feels it's not a good place for it and feels that they are not clean," said Lenzner.

Is she talking about the restrooms or the Megabus passengers not being clean? I have a feeling it's the latter. This woman sounds like a snob.

Yes the taxpayers of Pennsylvania paid for the convention center and they should be able use the restrooms and wait there for buses (or is it busses).

Old 06-08-2012, 06:10 AM

1,776 posts, read 2,698,378 times
Megabus is the reason so many artists and young (cheap) friends of mine from elsewhere have been able to make their first trips to Pittsburgh to visit or perform. This is bad news. Needs to be fixed immediately.

Old 06-08-2012, 06:30 AM

802 posts, read 1,321,705 times
Looked for and found the email address and phone number for Mary Conturno and the SEA.

I am going to send an email and see what happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh