Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 07:34 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,045,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
both are possible. places like lawrenceville will be a lot more attractive without all the gaps. part 2 could certainly happen in places like the strip in the near term. anyway, I wasn't saying it was going to happen, but that the city could accomodate them.
In 2010 Central Lawrenceville only had 5% of its parcels vacant, which is one of the lowest rates in the city, and the lowest for non-middle class neighborhood, IIRC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2012, 07:46 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,647,109 times
Amazing that the city is rapidly growing, yet I stare across the street in a safe neighborhood within walking distance of Downtown at two long-vacant and deteriorating rowhomes---just two of many, to be precise, within the surrounding blocks. Developers are really missing the boat in Polish Hill, and I'm sure many other core neighborhoods as well.

As far as "gap teeth" are concerned I think micro-housing would be an excellent solution. I've already stated in other threads that I'm strongly considering buying a vacant lot in Polish Hill from the Urban Redevelopment Authority (URA) in order to build my own microhouse here due to the paucity of available homes (currently zero) on the market here.

Old 06-28-2012, 08:03 PM

429 posts, read 654,596 times
I don't believe that 0.6% growth would be considered "rapidly growing". But for the rust belt, it may be.

Old 06-28-2012, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPSGuy View Post
I don't believe that 0.6% growth would be considered "rapidly growing". But for the rust belt, it may be.
When the city has been imploding in on itself for generations 0.6% growth from 2010-2011 is downright meteoric and reason to celebrate! I was seriously going to cry if the city's population dipped below 300,000.

Old 06-28-2012, 08:12 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,045,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Amazing that the city is rapidly growing, yet I stare across the street in a safe neighborhood within walking distance of Downtown at two long-vacant and deteriorating rowhomes---just two of many, to be precise, within the surrounding blocks. Developers are really missing the boat in Polish Hill, and I'm sure many other core neighborhoods as well.

As far as "gap teeth" are concerned I think micro-housing would be an excellent solution. I've already stated in other threads that I'm strongly considering buying a vacant lot in Polish Hill from the Urban Redevelopment Authority (URA) in order to build my own microhouse here due to the paucity of available homes (currently zero) on the market here.
The problem is more or less "low-information property owners." Often these vacant houses are held by people who are essentially incapacitated (in nursing homes, but with no one left with power of attorney to sell the home), or the old owners have moved out of state and have no idea someone would *want* to buy the place now.

Microhousing has a place, particularly on the slopes of the city, where new development rules essentially forbid dense building now (to make sure no Mount-Washington monstrosities happen again with skyscrapers on the hillsides).

That said, tiny plots and tiny houses are the exact wrong way to go in a lot of Pittsburgh, where we're going to need big blocks of land in flat areas for new medium-density residential development

Old 06-28-2012, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
The problem is more or less "low-information property owners." Often these vacant houses are held by people who are essentially incapacitated (in nursing homes, but with no one left with power of attorney to sell the home), or the old owners have moved out of state and have no idea someone would *want* to buy the place now.

Microhousing has a place, particularly on the slopes of the city, where new development rules essentially forbid dense building now (to make sure no Mount-Washington monstrosities happen again with skyscrapers on the hillsides).

That said, tiny plots and tiny houses are the exact wrong way to go in a lot of Pittsburgh, where we're going to need big blocks of land in flat areas for new medium-density residential development
I'm mostly looking at vacant parcels that are too small and are "walled in" by existing historic development to purchase for my new microhouse. I have some parcels on Phelan Way (the alley between Paulowna and Brereton) in mind, along with Paulowna itself, which has a terrain that is too steep on the Bigelow side to permit large-scale development. I just really love this neighborhood, but with zero homes on the market and no developers lining up to bring more housing onto the market what other options would a prospective homebuyer like me have?

Old 06-28-2012, 08:48 PM

1,125 posts, read 2,349,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
676k or bust!
You are thinking too small, I say go for 1,000,000

Old 06-28-2012, 09:44 PM

3,463 posts, read 4,648,841 times
The 15 Hottest American Cities of the Future - Yahoo! Finance This link goes to an article on the 15 Hottest American Cities for Growth in the next. 20 years. Pittsburgh is one of them.

Old 06-28-2012, 11:31 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,954,557 times
That article says Pittsburgh will become a hipster haven. I'm not sure that everyone thinks that's a good thing.
It also says that Detroit will be one of the hot cities. I'm not sure how accurate this article is.

Old 06-29-2012, 12:14 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,762,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denton56 View Post
It also says that Detroit will be one of the hot cities. I'm not sure how accurate this article is.
Buy low, sell high.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh