Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 12:15 AM

3,463 posts, read 4,648,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denton56 View Post
That article says Pittsburgh will become a hipster haven. I'm not sure that everyone thinks that's a good thing.
It also says that Detroit will be one of the hot cities. I'm not sure how accurate this article is.
There's a lot of interesting stuff happening in Detroit. Especially in the arts. I don't have a crystal ball, but creative types often lead the way in revitalization of a neighborhood, city, etc. Also, let's not forget the whole "Rust Belt Chic" trend. Another article that indicates growth in Pittsburgh Best Places to Buy in 2012 | Zillow Blog utm_source=email&utm_medium=email &utm_campaign=emm-0612_JuneBuzzRoundup-bestplaces
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2012, 05:46 AM

429 posts, read 654,596 times
what is it with people and hipsters? Hipsters are just yet another term for "young 20 something" Thats all. The 60s had hippies, the 70s had those rock and rollers and the disco douches, the 80s had the hair metal kids, the 90s had grunge kids, now we got the wire frame beard kids. Who cares.

Retaining young people is a good thing. They may be hipsters now, but in 10 years they will be children having, cubical enslaved, tax paying citizens adding to the benefit of Pittsburgh. Be attractive to "Hipsters". A art, music, and culture scene for young people is good.

Old 06-29-2012, 06:04 AM

1,445 posts, read 1,973,417 times
Whenever anyone on here rants about hipsters I just picture a grandpa Simpson-like character waving his cane at all the darn kids on his lawn. They're young people having fun in the city, not sure how that could be a bad thing.

Old 06-29-2012, 06:04 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,031,857 times
Yeah, let kids be kids.

By the way, am I wrong that as of this writing, none of the major Pittsburgh media outlets has covered this story? I know there is other stuff going on, but you would think this would be pretty big news.

Old 06-29-2012, 08:03 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,086,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Microhousing has a place, particularly on the slopes of the city, where new development rules essentially forbid dense building now (to make sure no Mount-Washington monstrosities happen again with skyscrapers on the hillsides).
What?! I happen to like the Mt. Washington skyscapers, and hope another one that's in the pipeline gets built very soon (1 Grandview). Don't jinx this awesome development when its already having enough trouble with financing already!

Old 06-29-2012, 08:20 AM

2,290 posts, read 3,829,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airwave09 View Post
What?! I happen to like the Mt. Washington skyscapers, and hope another one that's in the pipeline gets built very soon (1 Grandview). Don't jinx this awesome development when its already having enough trouble with financing already!
Agreed. Hilly cities build hillside residential towers.

As for the population figure of 307k... I think we've determined the Census Bureau's municipal population estimates this year are worthless due to their rather lame methodology. However, I have no doubt in my mind that the 55 sq mile City at the core of this region is in fact gaining population.

Old 06-29-2012, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Yeah, let kids be kids.

By the way, am I wrong that as of this writing, none of the major Pittsburgh media outlets has covered this story? I know there is other stuff going on, but you would think this would be pretty big news.
I hate Pittsburgh media outlets, well all local media outlets. It is all about gruesome news, murders, who did horrible things to their children, etc.

They never cover news on construction projects that could change the area, or anything positive. Especially WTAE. They choose news stories that get them more clicks on the internet rather then importance of the area. Take a look at the FB page. They posted about the one new Skyscraper that could be built if Oxford found a tenant and 5 people responded. They post about a crime and 100 hillbillies that somehow have the internet come out of the woodwork to rant and rave about the horrible city. It gets them ratings though.

Old 06-29-2012, 08:28 AM

Does anybody have any idea about the history of the Census Bureau's accuracy on their estimates between the actual census counts that occur every 10 years?

Old 06-29-2012, 08:31 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,045,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airwave09 View Post
If you look at the Pittsburgh zoning code, most of the hillsides now have their own zoning type (called hillside actually) which prevents any large residential from being built and obscuring the hills. Obviously some existing areas were grandfathered in, like the South Side slopes, but you couldn't build a large structure on Arlington Avenue, or the undeveloped streets in Perry South or Elliott, without the city making special exceptions (and probably greasing some palms).

Old 06-29-2012, 09:13 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,830,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
In 2010 Central Lawrenceville only had 5% of its parcels vacant, which is one of the lowest rates in the city, and the lowest for non-middle class neighborhood, IIRC.
and yet there's still room, there are indeed far emptier places in the city. I look forward to seeing the clemente museum surrounded by something other than blight. the strip, of course, is almost a blank slate. does anyone know the current population of the hill? driving down centre ave feels like you took a wrong turn and ended up in west virginia.
speaking of abandoned homes (there are many)..the one that bugs me is the one right across from the children's hospital. really? (the other one that bugged me is finally getting renovated, across from agh)

hipsters-I think the term has jumped the shark and lost its original meaning and definitely just means young people now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh