Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 02:25 PM

1,657 posts, read 2,690,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maast View Post
Nightlife is better when it's concentrated in one area, such as in Cleveland, where the downtown was very lively, things to do, even at night. Went to a nice bar there, went bowling only a street away, walked near the lake, was nice.
I like East 4th and West 6th (kinda), but those two streets combined are far smaller than Carson Street. Some seriously good restaurants on East 4th, though. I like Cleveland.

Downtown Pittsburgh is improving, considerably actually, but it still has room for improvement. A couple new French and Italian restaurants would really make me happy.

Last edited by ML North; 12-14-2012 at 03:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2012, 02:44 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,663,296 times
Downtown was very lively in Cleveland? I must not be going to "downtown" then. It's freakin dead in the middle of the day when I go there to our office, which is in fact downtown just a couple blocks from the Rock Hall.

Old 12-14-2012, 02:45 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,029,222 times
Quote:
Nightlife is better when it's concentrated in one area
That's a subjective opinion. More distributed nightlife can lower average transportation costs, provide more opportunities for entry of new businesses, provide more variety of setting/scene for those willing to look for it, and so on.

That isn't denying that maybe you would personally benefit from a more concentrated nightlife situation. But your preferences on this issue are not necessarily universalizable.

Old 12-14-2012, 03:44 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,157,682 times
Quote:
Who cares about Market Square? Just a square with a couple of restaurants....I don't compare Pittsburgh to NY/NJ because there's no comparison.
Oh really? That's why you made that one thread trying to pick a fight how Pittsburgh didn't have all this stuff you like about Jersey.

Old 12-14-2012, 04:40 PM

456 posts, read 833,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ML North View Post
I like East 4th and West 6th (kinda), but those two streets combined are far smaller than Carson Street. Some seriously good restaurants on East 4th, though. I like Cleveland.

Downtown Pittsburgh is improving, considerably actually, but it still has room for improvement. A couple new French and Italian restaurants would really make me happy.
Well the area near the lake to the basketball stadium is not that bad, given the size of the city. Downtown Pittsburgh shuts down after people go home after work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Downtown was very lively in Cleveland? I must not be going to "downtown" then. It's freakin dead in the middle of the day when I go there to our office, which is in fact downtown just a couple blocks from the Rock Hall.
well when I went at night it was pretty lively. Also they had a nice mall near the lake, during the day it was pretty lively there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
That's a subjective opinion. More distributed nightlife can lower average transportation costs, provide more opportunities for entry of new businesses, provide more variety of setting/scene for those willing to look for it, and so on.

That isn't denying that maybe you would personally benefit from a more concentrated nightlife situation. But your preferences on this issue are not necessarily universalizable.
when nightlife is very scattered though, that poses issues also. The whole point of the nightlife is having a conducive atmosphere...one bar in the middle of a ghetto is not really going to add to nightlife.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
Oh really? That's why you made that one thread trying to pick a fight how Pittsburgh didn't have all this stuff you like about Jersey.
I didn't pick a fight, I gave my honest opinions. It's called a review.

Old 12-14-2012, 05:03 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,985,978 times
Taxis. With our nightlife spread all over the city and our public transportation basically shutting down by midnight, it's essential to our city that we have a good taxi system. But we don't. And then people wonder why a lot of people in the region hardly bat an eye at the idea of driving drunk. At the very least, getting rid of the "all the bars close at 2am" rule would shift the demand around to different times, letting the current taxi service be a little better utilized.

Old 12-14-2012, 06:16 PM

583 posts, read 885,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post

Maast is right, in the sense that every city with a hip reputation does it exactly as he says it should be done.

Old 12-15-2012, 07:52 AM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,987,872 times
Quote:
Nightlife is better when it's concentrated in one area, such as in Cleveland, where the downtown was very lively, things to do, even at night. Went to a nice bar there, went bowling only a street away, walked near the lake, was nice.
South Side is rather concentrated and on smaller scales Lawrenceville and Oakland. I don't think you have the tools needed for this conversation.

Old 12-15-2012, 08:17 AM

1,657 posts, read 2,690,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregHenry View Post
Maast is right, in the sense that every city with a hip reputation does it exactly as he says it should be done.
I thought every city with a hip reputation had nightlife scattered about various strip malls (laid out on flat land) that were at least separated by such a distance that one had drive from one to the next (on wide roads laid out across flat land)?

Old 12-15-2012, 08:21 AM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,987,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregHenry View Post
Obviously we are feeding a known troll here, but if every city did things in the same way, I certainly think there wouldn't be much of a personality. I think why Pittsburgh is booming and your city is failing is due to Pittsburgh's beautiful style and character. You can keep your strip mall garbage. We have one of those in Station Square where that dumb country place is and whatever else comes and goes there. That is enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh