Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 07:13 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,260,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins View Post
You fail to realize that it is a racial case because of the color of all involved. An innocent black honor student beat half to death by some young white officers who have no ties to the community. Its obvious.

P.S., I am not on this forum for your english lesson.lol
The police officers did have a tie to the community, because that is where they worked at.

The reason why white youths are very unlikely to encounter aggressive police units like the ones who confronted Miles is due to the fact that the Pittsburgh PD has determined that Homewood Brushton is in need of greater and more proactive policing than your Lincoln Places and Brooklines.

But I'm not convinced that if, example given, Carrick continues on its decline that these units might not enter with the same tactics there- where it would be more likely that they would confront white youths.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2012, 07:23 PM

801 posts, read 1,103,863 times
The police always have the same old tried and true excuse for beating the living Christ out of someone. ...dadada..let's see..there's always going to be a "scuffle" with the police, no matter how illogical, unlikely, or physically impossible that might be...Oh, and there's always going to be a "resisting arrest"...or some threatening gesture...Oh, please.

Most people of color are scared to death of the police "running up on them", as its said. How asinine these claims are. And it doesn't seem to matter to some stupid people if there are ten officers smacking down one scared !&$% less person of color, they can always rationalize it. That is some major contaminated cognition.

Old 08-10-2012, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryview22 View Post
The police always have the same old tried and true excuse for beating the living Christ out of someone. ...

The 3 police officers involved in the Miles "scuffle" weren't on an ordinary detail, they were part of a special unit that the Pittsburgh PD deploys to specified high crime areas.

Would it be a good idea to get rid of this kind of special enforcement and just redeploy these guys into traffic control, general uniformed police work, or other activities.

Old 08-10-2012, 07:47 PM

35 posts, read 35,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
The 3 police officers involved in the Miles "scuffle" weren't on an ordinary detail, they were part of a special unit that the Pittsburgh PD deploys to specified high crime areas.

Would it be a good idea to get rid of this kind of special enforcement and just redeploy these guys into traffic control, general uniformed police work, or other activities.
Actually no. If they were to do away with those units, then it would only be marked cars in which people would know that it's the police. The 99 units use a variety of different cars so it throws off people because theyre not your typical police cars. Those special units have actually gotten so many guns and drugs off the streets so they need to keep them.

Old 08-10-2012, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steindle View Post
The irony of you giving an "English lesson" is too good to pass up.
The reason I gave that "english lesson" is because he was trying to show that these cops were accused in the past of something in which I wanted to make sure he knew the definition of accused.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steindle View Post
Also your comment re: wpipkins being black is a total ridiculous cop-out.
Nah its really not. Its a point I was proving...

Old 08-10-2012, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mthomas184 View Post
Actually no. If they were to do away with those units, then it would only be marked cars in which people would know that it's the police. The 99 units use a variety of different cars so it throws off people because theyre not your typical police cars. Those special units have actually gotten so many guns and drugs off the streets so they need to keep them.

I'll take your word that the 99 units have had successes, but if they and their aggressive, proactive tactics are antagonizing law abiders in the community- well, that's something that has to be considered as well.

Old 08-11-2012, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
I'll take your word that the 99 units have had successes, but if they and their aggressive, proactive tactics are antagonizing law abiders in the community- well, that's something that has to be considered as well.
I agree with that statement. There are some that go way too far....and others that do a great job at it. I know quite a few of them in zone 6 and can honestly say, theyre great guys

Old 08-11-2012, 03:34 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
So you are of the belief officers didn't identify themselves? Seriously? They are just jumping out of a car and rushing someone. No, "stop police", no nothing. Just jump out and tackle and beat someone for no reasons. Yeah, that sounds plausible. Also, what is this talk about "thee men jumped out and demanded drugs"? What is all that about? That is your comparison, Stop police and three men jumped out demanding drugs? Where did that come from?

It sure is a wildly odd view of police.
I really believe it, curtis. I doubt the police identified themselves prior to or the moment they were getting out of the car. It doesn't make sense that they would identify themselves because they were merely getting out of the car to question him (according to them). They had no idea he was going to run so there was no reason for them to identify themselves at that moment. And I understand why Jordan ran the moment he saw a bunch of white men getting out of the car. After Jordan ran, it's possible they identified themselves as police via "stop, police" but it's also possible they forgot to do so. And if they did identify themselves via "stop, police" that means that Jordan was already running because he saw a bunch of white men getting out of a car so his adrenaline was pumping with his body in the flight response mode, which could have caused him to not hear the police say anything.

Old 08-11-2012, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
Has anything like this ever happened in Squirrel Hill, North Hills or Mt Lebo? When was the last time have you heard of black police officers beating up a young whiteman? As of this date there has not been a single white officer ever charged with beating or killing a black American in Pittsburgh
We do get white officers beating or killing white teenage males. When this stuff happens to whites, it doesn't often make the media because most victims and families fear challenging the police.

I remember back in the early 80s, one young man was thrown over the bridge into the Allegheny River while wearing handcuffs. They claim he jumped out of the police car and jumped over the bridge on his own. Yeah, right. The officers weren't charged. Their version of the story was never questioned by any officials. The family didn't parade around the media screaming injustice. They quietly buried their son. I can provide a newspaper article about this. Even the journalist didn't question the police version, didn't even highlight the obsurdity of someone jumping over a bridge in handcuffs. The handcuffs aren't even mentioned in the story. http://news.google.com/newspapers?id...ny+river&hl=en

More currently, I've heard of a white juvenile officer who puts his gun into teenagers faces and laughs like he's insane. He walks into secluded areas where teenagers like to hang out so he can have this power trip. No arrests, just harrassing and intimidating teenagers. Nobody has ever reported him because they fear nothing would be done and he would retaliate.

The reality is that there are some sick people who are attracted to the power of the badge.

Old 08-11-2012, 04:35 AM

Quote:
It is nice to be a white male living in the suburbs! You have no idea what some of the police do to the young black males for no other reason but because they can. I'm a grown man and some of them have approached me with unnessary arrogance. I never understood why people like yourself can't fathom that the police dept can do no wrong. I have sat in court and listen to them actually lie in court about a situation. The reason that I knew that they were lying was because I was there when it happened.
It happens to young white males too. I'm not trying to deminish what happened to Jordan. I just think it's important to point out that police can be equal opportunity power tripping abusers.

Quote:
This is why many whites don't have to talk to thier kids about the dangers of a police confrontation since they have nothing to fear
I think most parents of any race teach their children how to handle a police confrontation. White parents probably teach them differently but we do teach them because there are dangers. I think the difference is that we're not warning them of racism, just power tripping cops in general.

I'm not saying there isn't a racial difference. There is. If I were to get into a police officer's face and scream injustice, people wouldn't think twice. If a black person does it, everyone acts like he's a civil rights activist making a mountain out of a molehill. And that's not fair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh