Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 04:06 AM

3,463 posts, read 4,647,204 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the feedback. The house in Brighton Heights is on Pemberton. The street is lovely. All the houses are well maintained. I have no idea how close to those bad neighborhoods it is. I'll ask my realtor. Anyone here know this street?

I also felt that Brighton Heights and Bellevue were a better fit for me because of their proximity to retail areas and a bit more of an urban vibe. But Crafton was so darn pretty. If only it had more retail and had fewer run down houses. Still, it wasn't bad enough to reject the houses I liked.

I hope I'm able to choose one of these houses, I don't want to make another house hunting trip. Anyone know of a landlord willing to rent to someone with two dogs and three cats? Then I could get to know Pittsburgh before I buy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2012, 06:55 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Pemberton is nice. All of the houses my relative bought were in that vicinity. One was one street over on Termon.

Sorry i don't know any landlords. If I hear of any, I'll let you know.

Old 10-10-2012, 08:59 PM

15 posts, read 21,401 times
We live a few blocks from Pemberton. Its a nice neighborhood and we like it a lot. How far up the hill is the house? All of Pemberton should be fine but the higher up the more secluded-less busy it will be

Old 10-10-2012, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brdst11 View Post
We live a few blocks from Pemberton. Its a nice neighborhood and we like it a lot. How far up the hill is the house? All of Pemberton should be fine but the higher up the more secluded-less busy it will be
It looks like it's part way up the hill. But now I'm leaning toward the Crafton house.

Old 10-10-2012, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliegt View Post
But now I'm leaning toward the Crafton house.
LMAO! It's hard making decisions, isn't it?

I truly believe you would be happy in any of the three neighborhoods.

You'll be safe if you pick the house you like the most.

I'm just imagining the cross country tip with two dogs and three cats in the car!

Old 10-10-2012, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
LMAO! It's hard making decisions, isn't it?

I truly believe you would be happy in any of the three neighborhoods.

You'll be safe if you pick the house you like the most.

I'm just imagining the cross country tip with two dogs and three cats in the car!
No way that will ever happen. I'm selling my car and shipping the pets. Someone on this forum told me there are airlines that specialize in pets. I'm going to factor it in to my moving costs.

Old 10-10-2012, 11:36 PM

Wait until you price it before you sell your car. I know it will cost $800 in gasoline to drive here. But when you factor in airfare for you and for each of your pets, it might be cheaper or the same to travel together with them in your car. You can sell the car when you get here. As a pet owner, I'd be much more comfortable keeping my pets with me, even if it means days of traveling, especially now that there aren't very many direct flights into Pittsburgh.

Old 10-11-2012, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Wait until you price it before you sell your car. I know it will cost $800 in gasoline to drive here. But when you factor in airfare for you and for each of your pets, it might be cheaper or the same to travel together with them in your car. You can sell the car when you get here. As a pet owner, I'd be much more comfortable keeping my pets with me, even if it means days of traveling, especially now that there aren't very many direct flights into Pittsburgh.
My car has more than 120,000 miles, a bad transmission, burns oil, and gets 14 miles to the gallon. That combined with two old dogs and three cats would be insanity. I honestly don't care what it costs, we're flying.

Old 10-11-2012, 05:33 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,660,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliegt View Post
No way that will ever happen. I'm selling my car and shipping the pets. Someone on this forum told me there are airlines that specialize in pets. I'm going to factor it in to my moving costs.
I hope you find something like that; the idea of a special pet airline sounds vaguely familiar but I don't really know about it. All the regular airlines have policies spelled out for pets, but I wouldn't trust my pet to be shipped/baggage by regular airline. I know many make such a trip every day but I couldn't do that. You can take one cat or small dog with you in the cabin usually, if you make a reservation in advance and pay extra pet fare. There's a limit on how many they take per plane so you have to do that in advance.

With your scenario personally I'd be looking at renting a vehicle that could hold all of you, expensive as that would be. I'd rather juggle that for a few days than worry about them all flying.

You can start a thread about this in the Pets forum later though.

PS 120k on a car is nothing; mine has 205k! (Although, granted, it gets twice the mpg.)

Old 10-11-2012, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
I hope you find something like that; the idea of a special pet airline sounds vaguely familiar but I don't really know about it. All the regular airlines have policies spelled out for pets, but I wouldn't trust my pet to be shipped/baggage by regular airline. I know many make such a trip every day but I couldn't do that. You can take one cat or small dog with you in the cabin usually, if you make a reservation in advance and pay extra pet fare. There's a limit on how many they take per plane so you have to do that in advance.

With your scenario personally I'd be looking at renting a vehicle that could hold all of you, expensive as that would be. I'd rather juggle that for a few days than worry about them all flying.

You can start a thread about this in the Pets forum later though.

PS 120k on a car is nothing; mine has 205k! (Although, granted, it gets twice the mpg.)
The mileage on my car is the least of my concerns. It has serious mechanical problems that aren't worth fixing. I'm going to look into all my options for my pets. But the cost of renting a vehicle, hotels, meals, etc isn't cheap either. I've shipped a dog years ago and she was fine. If I do decide to fly the pets I'll do my homework to find the safest option. I have considered flying the cats and driving with the dogs. The thought of driving cross country with three cats and litterboxes is daunting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh