Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 05:02 PM

1,723 posts, read 2,226,055 times

Advertisements

I can sympathize with a single lady for not wanting to get directly involved to try and intervene, although she nor anyone else at any point "rushed to help him" as the article describes. Everyone in that alley either 1. didn't really care that much or 2. was too afraid to at the least use a cell phone to make a call until the group was out of area.

Diffusion of responsibility isn't new, and I don't mean to particularly disparage the people who were there, I just meant to say no one in that alley was exceptionally helpful or deserves much credit. Especially the group of three young men who high tail it out of there once they see what happens. Cowards like that are why guys like him think they can club people in broad daylight in the middle of a populated street and walk away.

Fortunately the video camera recorded it. I'm not sure how likely it is he would have been caught otherwise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2012, 06:12 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
My husband heard on the news that this is the latest craze. It's happening in other cities. Idiots are posting this stuff on youtube. Once city has a special task force to deal with it. Guess it's just starting in Pittsburgh, since trends are always late here.

I just did a google search and discovered that a woman in a Philly suburb was beaten and kicked "just for fun" and the girls video taped it. Here's a link to that story:

6 teens arrested in taped beating of Pa. woman - KTIV News 4 Sioux City IA: News, Weather and Sports

God help us!

Old 10-09-2012, 06:14 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
They caught him!

Boy, 15, charged in CAPA teacher attack | WTAE News - WTAE Home

Old 10-09-2012, 10:06 PM

480 posts, read 611,845 times
thank god

Old 10-09-2012, 10:28 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
My husband heard on the news that this is the latest craze. It's happening in other cities. Idiots are posting this stuff on youtube. Once city has a special task force to deal with it. Guess it's just starting in Pittsburgh, since trends are always late here.

I just did a google search and discovered that a woman in a Philly suburb was beaten and kicked "just for fun" and the girls video taped it. Here's a link to that story:

6 teens arrested in taped beating of Pa. woman - KTIV News 4 Sioux City IA: News, Weather and Sports

God help us!
Goodness. One thing for sure, I am very glad to live in the burbs. I am in the city all the time, but at least I can get out of there when I go home. This will no doubt keep escalating and happen more and more. They will get smarter and do it where there are no cameras. Glad they caught this kid, but there will be many others in and around the city. It actually isn't all the new. Best to be armed with something and be extremely alert. You pretty much need to walk in groups in the city and never be alone. Doesn't matter what time of day.

Old 10-09-2012, 10:56 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
I like this article better.

15-Year-Old Charged In Teacher Assault « CBS Pittsburgh

"Police say he cried and appeared embarrassed. He was taken to Shuman Detention Center."

Embarrassed? Really? He broke his parole, so I would imagine he is very used to this kind of thing. 15 years old. He seems to have a really bright future ahead of him.

Old 10-10-2012, 03:47 AM

32,617 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Goodness. One thing for sure, I am very glad to live in the burbs.
You're right. I've never heard of crime happening in the suburbs before. You're so lucky!

Old 10-10-2012, 04:09 AM

423 posts, read 629,107 times
Low-life kid, low-life parents. And with this sentence---the other kids not charged---basically nothing happens.

Old 10-10-2012, 07:59 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,595,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Glad they caught this kid, but there will be many others in and around the city. It actually isn't all the new. Best to be armed with something and be extremely alert. You pretty much need to walk in groups in the city and never be alone. Doesn't matter what time of day.

I've been walking around this city by myself unarmed for something now close to ten years. I'm always alert, mostly because the whole "yield to pedestrians in crosswalk" thing isn't well respected, but the only problem I’ve encountered is Achilles tendonitis. I recommend stretching and trying to sound a bit less like a guy waving a rake on his lawn and threatening to take the Frisbee if it touches his lawn once more.

Old 10-10-2012, 08:33 AM

29,745 posts, read 34,389,499 times
From this story we can probably assume that some teenagers are violent regardless of where they live: Venango boy, 13, charged with weekend killings of grandparents - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh