Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 10:41 AM

1,075 posts, read 1,693,878 times

Advertisements

The Associated Press picked up this story, and the original story was featured on the Drudge Report yesterday, and the updated version is featured today. While it appears to be an isolated incident, the story going national isn't exactly helpful to Pittsburgh's image.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2012, 10:44 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,083,010 times
I saw it in the Daily News yesterday. Oh, well. I doubt Pittsburgh's image is tarnished badly. People will forget what this kid did. It's not like this happens every day. And the only reason it's making international news is because there is video of it. If it were just print news, nobody would give it a second thought.

Old 10-10-2012, 12:50 PM

1,334 posts, read 1,807,999 times
It's in the NY Times today (or at least on the website). I don't think this says anything about Pittsburgh, instead I believe this is being picked up nationally because of the utter randomness of it - how there was nothing that provoked that kid, and he didn't even know who the teacher was. He just up and decided to slug someone, and neither he nor his companions thought anything was strange about it. That is atypical. That and the video makes it much more interesting (i.e. sensational) from a media perspective and says a lot more than a written description ever could.

Old 10-10-2012, 12:57 PM

3,733 posts, read 5,968,698 times
TV news needs pictures, and they jumped on this video because they've got several hours to fill every day and they need something to show. Not to discount the seriousness of the attack, but were it not for the video this would have been a blurb in the paper and not even make the TV news.

Old 10-10-2012, 03:19 PM

18,950 posts, read 11,598,917 times
I agree this seems random and not even necessarily the start of a trend here. It's still scary - especially considering the seeming uptick in random and violent personal crime here this summer. For example: the bicyclist who had his throat slashed;the break-ins including sexual assault in Shadyside; and this series of muggings in north oakland - Series of robberies strike heart of Oakland - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Old 10-10-2012, 05:55 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,083,010 times
I saw the news tonight. Heard what hubby heard the other night. The "game" is called "knock out game." Apparently, the goal of the game is to knockout someone with one punch. The police deny the game has spread to Pittsburgh because the kid claims he did it because he was in a bad mood. Others don't believe that it wasn't premeditated so they are investigating that possibility.

I can not find any news stories about the "knockout game" other than a Trib article about this incident. Could reporters have made this stuff up?

Old 10-10-2012, 06:06 PM

1,075 posts, read 1,693,878 times
The Google seems to indicate that "The Knockout Game" or "Knockout King" is indeed a thing.

Old 10-10-2012, 06:39 PM

2,538 posts, read 4,713,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I still think the city is safe. So far it was an isolated incident.

There aren't groups rampaging around beating people.

It just made me sick when the news reported that kids are doing this stuff for kicks and youtube.

But that is totally irrelevant to what happened here. Not sure why the news reported it like that.

Oh, yeah, it's THE NEWS, which has little to do with reality.
When does it start having something to do with reality? When it happens to you? There seems to be a major disconnect in society with just how bad certain segments of the population have become. Look at Detroit. The police are now actively warning tourists not to go there. Is that still just NEWS?

Old 10-11-2012, 05:37 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,264,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I can not find any news stories about the "knockout game" other than a Trib article about this incident. Could reporters have made this stuff up?

The "knockout game" story has been around for awhile, and there have been instances in Cincinnati, St. Louis, Chicago and elsewhere and serious charges filed.

In the "game", which is run by gangs of urban youths, white adults are isolated and coldcocked in public on the street and then the perps just walk away.

There have been stories on this at World Net Daily, and this morning Quinn talked about it on WPGB radio.

Watch yourself out there. The fact that the DA's office is charging the perp involved as a juvenile instead of charging the whole gang as adults where they can face serious time in prison isn't going to deter others that much.

Old 10-11-2012, 06:42 AM

2,538 posts, read 4,713,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
The "knockout game" story has been around for awhile, and there have been instances in Cincinnati, St. Louis, Chicago and elsewhere and serious charges filed.

In the "game", which is run by gangs of urban youths, white adults are isolated and coldcocked in public on the street and then the perps just walk away.

There have been stories on this at World Net Daily, and this morning Quinn talked about it on WPGB radio.

Watch yourself out there. The fact that the DA's office is charging the perp involved as a juvenile instead of charging the whole gang as adults where they can face serious time in prison isn't going to deter others that much.
Not only is he not being charged as an adult, he is only charged with simple assault. That is a disgrace. He knocked the guy out. I'm curious as the extent of the teachers injuries. I though any broken bone automatically triggered an aggravated charge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh