Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 05:49 PM

32,618 posts, read 77,624,272 times

Advertisements

I can see both sides of the issue here. If you buy into a "plan" (a.k.a. subdivision, housing development, McMansionVille, etc.) then you need to be aware of the HOA's rules and bylaws PRIOR to moving in. With that being said I think a board member donning camouflage and war paint and running amok at 3 AM running around each and every cul-de-sac taking political signs from front lawns and chucking them into the trash is COMPLETELY uncalled for. Each time someone within the jurisdiction of an HOA violates some sort of rule or bylaw I think the most appropriate first course of action would be for a representative of the HOA to ring the offender's doorbell and politely explain that they are violating a bylaw. If the offending party fails to take corrective action on their own, then the HOA should draft up a written warning on HOA letterhead, signed by HOA authorized representatives, and giving the offending party a certain timeframe to take corrective measures. If the party STILL refuses to take corrective action, then the HOA should indeed have the power to enforce its bylaws on its own.

In this case if the offending parties thought they were "above the law" then the HOA could have (and should have) taken the signs and returned them to the political candidates, explaining that some of their supporters were unable to conform to their bylaws after repeated warnings. End of discussion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2012, 05:55 PM

2,538 posts, read 4,712,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I can see both sides of the issue here. If you buy into a "plan" (a.k.a. subdivision, housing development, McMansionVille, etc.) then you need to be aware of the HOA's rules and bylaws PRIOR to moving in. With that being said I think a board member donning camouflage and war paint and running amok at 3 AM running around each and every cul-de-sac taking political signs from front lawns and chucking them into the trash is COMPLETELY uncalled for. Each time someone within the jurisdiction of an HOA violates some sort of rule or bylaw I think the most appropriate first course of action would be for a representative of the HOA to ring the offender's doorbell and politely explain that they are violating a bylaw. If the offending party fails to take corrective action on their own, then the HOA should draft up a written warning on HOA letterhead, signed by HOA authorized representatives, and giving the offending party a certain timeframe to take corrective measures. If the party STILL refuses to take corrective action, then the HOA should indeed have the power to enforce its bylaws on its own.

In this case if the offending parties thought they were "above the law" then the HOA could have (and should have) taken the signs and returned them to the political candidates, explaining that some of their supporters were unable to conform to their bylaws after repeated warnings. End of discussion.
Agree 10000% The thing that has me mad is unauthorized action followed by an email that "the signs are now in my trash". Of all of the board members we've had, this particular one was the only one that wanted to be on the board. Everyone else has been "volunteered" and begged to be on. The fact that he was so eager was warning sign to me, and I do not want this to be the first shot in a series of escalating battles. Hopefully this was an isolated incident.

Old 10-31-2012, 05:55 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet Jones View Post

BTW, hope your assessment appeal is denied and you lose your house. After all, rules are rules and you knew them when you bought the property.
People like me never "lose your house". We plan to sell a home due to it not being worth it. We read and plan. You should read the HOA and plan. You are causing a problem for no reason. Just don't break the HOA rules and this thread doesn't exist. Don't break their rules. You signed the paper.

Old 10-31-2012, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
You should read the HOA and plan. You are causing a problem for no reason. Just don't break the HOA rules and this thread doesn't exist. Don't break their rules. You signed the paper.
Again, you really do no understand the concept of an HOA. I am part of the HOA. We are not serfs living on a manor, we collectively own the HOA and are part of it. Just as it is our right to impose restrictions, it also our right and duty to make sure that rules and procedures are followed. What the board member did was no different than the sign placer. You seem to be under the impression that the board members are nobles that can punish by decree. That is certainly not the case. They say people get the HOA they deserve, and that lack of participation is one of the biggest causes of strife. I'm trying to prevent that from happening by being active and that is why I plan to bring this up at the meeting. Since only six or seven of us usually show up out of 200+, my voice usually has a lot of sway.

Old 10-31-2012, 06:21 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,549,480 times
It is SO EASY to avoid the rules of an HOA, DON'T BUY INTO ONE!!!

Class dismissed.

Old 10-31-2012, 06:28 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times
Quote:
Again, you really do no understand the concept of an HOA.
Really?

1. There are no signs allowed.
2. You have a sign.
3. You are going agains the rules in place and are complaining.
4. You probably shouldn't be living in a community that has deed restrictions if you don't want to follow those restrictions.

I think I understand the rules better than yourself.

Old 10-31-2012, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Really?

1. There are no signs allowed.
2. You have a sign.
No, my neighbor had signs, but that point keeps being completely lost on you. As I have also repeatedly said, the signs themselves not really the issue.

Quote:
3. You are going agains the rules in place and are complaining.
The HOA board member also acted against the rules, or at least outside of them, but for some reason you seem to think that is meaningless. You presenting yourself as a stickler for the rules, but for some reason you are completely willing to overlook the fact one side committed an infraction that was likely against the law.

Old 10-31-2012, 06:54 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,549,480 times
Again, why do you stay there and b itch . Move

Old 10-31-2012, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Again, why do you stay there and b itch . Move
Please re-read the original post that started the threat. This did not happen directly to me, if it did I would not be posting about it on a message board. I would have simply called the cops. Since it did not happen to me I have no legal standing to file a criminal complaint. But since we do have HOA meeting coming up I was looking for advice, as I believe the board member acted inappropriately. I don't understand this argument of "quit b*tching about it". That is the whole point of an HOA meeting, to address concerns of the members. I'm sure I could sit back and be a good little sheep like the majority of the neighbors, but I happen to take my position seriously. You're advocating the exact type of behavior that causes more problems then solves. Inactive members are just as bad as the busy bodies and tyrants.

BTW, I'm not going to spend 10s of thousands of dollars to sell my house and up root my family over one incident. I already plan on moving in a few years, but I would like to make the remainder of my time as tolerable as possible.

Old 10-31-2012, 07:18 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,597,150 times
Quote:
I'm sure I could sit back and be a good little sheep like the majority of the neighbors, but I happen to take my position seriously.
There's a great deal of ground between "sheep" and willing to accept a fix when you've clearly failed at following a voluntarily agreed up set of rules. As for whether the board member removing the sign was a busybody or not, I think that would depend on whether or not there were warnings or general notices before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh