Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 11:22 AM

8 posts, read 12,145 times

Advertisements

We're moving to the area in the spring, but still haven't decided whether to live north or south. My husband works downtown at the Highmark building, so commute time is his highest priority.

Does anyone have experience commuting from West View/Ross Twp. to downtown, using the parking at the stadiums and taking the T+ downtown? How often do home games mess up daily parking? What is the drive like?

Alternately, how is the commute in from Mt. Lebanon on the T? Do the trains fill up quickly during rush hour? Do any Mt. Lebo area stations have parking in case we can't get a place within walking distance to a station?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2013, 11:53 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,542,794 times
Having lived in both places, I would choose Lebo if he is 9-5 all week.

Old 01-04-2013, 12:52 PM

264 posts, read 492,434 times
There's a parking garage above the Mt. Lebo T station but I'm not sure if commuters use it regularly...seems to be more for the business district than anything else. The Castle Shannon station is not far and there's a decent sized parking lot there...I've also seen people leaving their cars near the Poplar stop and catching the train in from there, but most neighbors don't like commuters parking in front of their house all day.

The train shouldn't be full by the time it gets to Lebo. I used to catch the T every morning from Potomac station and there were usually still a few seats left. They helped things out a few years ago when they decided to route all SHV rush hour traffic over the blue line, which allows the red line to serve more as a local that terminates at Castle Shannon. Not only freed up seats on the red line, but also sped up the trip between downtown and SHV.

Old 01-04-2013, 01:05 PM

165 posts, read 262,499 times
I take the T to town every day from Lebo. It takes me about 22 minutes from Mt. Lebanon Station to Steel Plaza. I would add another 5 minutes on top of that to get to Gateway (where he would get off). I usually don't have a problem getting a seat. I don't have any experience with parking in the morning because I walk, but I would recommend driving 5 minutes down to Castle Shannon and parking in their free lot.

The drive from Westview/Ross would probably be in the 20 minute range, plus $5 (ish)dollars to park on the North Shore. I have no idea what it's like on game days but it wouldn't surprise me if there was a game day rate.

Old 01-04-2013, 04:18 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,257,754 times
From Ross you can take the Ross Flyer bus, less than 15 minutes to town by way of the HOV lane in the middle of I279.

There is a park and ride right on US 19 near Cemetery Lane.

I would think that's got to be faster than an LRT car from Mt. Lebanon with all the stops in Dormont and Beechview that have to be made.

In addition, the O1 Ross Flyer stops right at Highmark in town.

Old 01-06-2013, 10:35 AM

130 posts, read 199,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
From Ross you can take the Ross Flyer bus, less than 15 minutes to town by way of the HOV lane in the middle of I279.

There is a park and ride right on US 19 near Cemetery Lane.

I would think that's got to be faster than an LRT car from Mt. Lebanon with all the stops in Dormont and Beechview that have to be made.

In addition, the O1 Ross Flyer stops right at Highmark in town.
I live in Ross and work downtown. I used to take the Ross Flyer buss from the park-n-ride. But with the last transit cuts and the removal the Cranberry park-n-ride route the Ross parking lot is now overcrowded. Getting a spot after about 7:30 AM can be a challenge.

I switched to driving to the north shore and taking the T+ to Wood Street when it opened. It's about 25-30 minutes inbound and 40-45 outbound. On days you add a ballgame to that add 10-15 outbound. This could be less if the city enforced the parking and used the multi-directional lanes on West General Robinson, but they don't and it can be frustrating.

It's not much of a concern for me personally as I ride my motorcycle (you can ride a motorcyle as a single passenger on the HOV lane) so I only have to put up with it when there is a ballgame and its raining all day and I don't ride since the HOV exit/entrance is right next to the garage and lots.

Old 01-06-2013, 03:28 PM

1,349 posts, read 3,573,359 times
Ross is not a bad commute to downtown, ML is probably slightly better but not a drastic difference. I would not chose between them solely based on commute. Personally I like the North much better than the South Hills but each areas has reasons to like it and thus its devoted fans.

Old 01-06-2013, 05:12 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,652,966 times
If it was purely driving, Ross wins IMO at least for commute alone. With the T and working specifically downtown, Mt Lebanon starts to feel nicer, but it really depends upon what you like. I'm more familiar with the north but can see the appeal of Mt Lebo.

Games don't mess up North Shore parking too much. They do kill some parking for Pirates day games, which is maybe 10x a year? And then sometimes a Thursday night or Monday night Steelers game in the fall could mess things up. But it's probably a dozen times a year max. The regular night Pirate games I would think you'd be beating most of that traffic out. Certain Friday night games can be popular.

There are also buses to consider from Ross area that would negate the need to drive to the North Shore. That could be an option either all the time or perhaps for more convenience only when you know there's a game affecting things.

Then again, the T from Mt Leb won't really be a problem with any of those things. It has its own issues at time, the main one being for the distance it still takes a while. In some cases the Ross commute might be shorter time-wise even than a T commute from Mt Lebanon.

Old 01-07-2013, 08:24 AM

Location: The Flagship City and Vacation in the Paris of Appalachia
2,773 posts, read 3,857,133 times
The commute from Lebo is very easy whether you are driving or taking the T. The commute from Ross is hit or miss and "Mcknightmare" Road is not very much fun, especially if you live closer to McCandless and need to drive it for any amount of time. I would say the commute from Lebo is easier mainly because you have multiple routes and access to the T.

Old 01-08-2013, 10:53 AM

19 posts, read 31,276 times
From my experience, the commute from ross is a major pain in the ***. First unless you live right on mcknight road (you probably won't) you will be fighting traffic on local level streets and perry hwy. Perry hwy being only 2 lanes is a nightmare especially with all the lights. Secondly the express bus comes once every ten minutes to the park and ride at the end of the HOV lane. It is exceptionally crowded at all times between around 6:30a to 8:30a. You will be more than likely standing unless by some miracle you are first in line for the next bus. Third the HOV lane the bus takes ends about a mile from downtown into the ft duquesne bridge. Now you might ask why is that a problem. Well the Ft duquesne bridge is almost always a complete cluster**** in the mornings. As a matter of fact one time it was so bad I got on the next earlier bus than i wanted to and was still late for work.

Now you can always drive in. Like somebody said before me its not too bad its only about a 15 minute drive to lots on the north shore where its only 5 dollars to park all day. Well thats all fine and dandy but be prepared either for a nice wait for the shuttle and its ride downtown (about an additional 20 minutes or more depending on traffic and how many other people are waiting for that shuttle). Or a nice hike downtown on foot (which would probably take a relatively fit person 15 minutes but also in pittsburghs lovely weather you know where almost every day is guaranteed to be rainy snowy or hot).

Also if theres an event in town don't even bother trying to drive to work you're guaranteed to be late because you won't be able to find a parking spot to save your life. One time i tried this there was a sports game and a concert on the same day. I drove around for 45 minutes to 10 different garages before i found one not completely full.

Unfortunately I can't weigh in on the flip side of this Mt Lebanon, Ive never lived there but I have to imagine multi car LRT trains on private rights of way for the most part must be quicker than the mess I go through up here in Ross. I would love to have someone from down there weigh in as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh