Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 08:05 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veyron View Post
Obama is half white/half black. The fact that he is considered black because he has some color prooves racism still exist because he is not good enough to be considered white.

The fact that you labeled Obama black prooves that race card is alive and well. You called Obama black when he's really bi-racial HALF WHITE HALF BLACK. You calling him black is like me calling him white.
Then don't claim Tiger Woods. He is Asian, not black. Also, get over it. The race thing is over. Opportunity is all over the place. Heck, if you are a minority, you can get a deal for college, so really the tide is in minorities favor and against whitey. If anything the opportunities are best for minorities, not the so-called privileged white people. Goodness, are we still in the 40's? How long will the excuses last? Just work hard. I will be working two jobs and have no life, so all isn't great for whitey. I have to work like the next guy.

Old 02-03-2013, 08:08 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,320,851 times
Quote:
I partly agree with you but like you said in their country math and science revered.

math and science are thee most important pieces of knowledge to any society.

Nearly everything technological stems from math and science.

I do agree asians do have it easier but they do get discrimination from whites as well.

No most asians do not work harder then me specifically but most blacks don't either. Unless you work more then 70 hrs a week.

Thing is blacks like me and you are the exception.

The majority of blacks do perpuate negative stereotypes.

I grew up around asians....and I know a thing or two about them.

1) Education is their life. In some parent households their kids bringing home a B is considered bad.
If they bring home a c....its world war 4 in their houshold.

They frown upon poorly educated asians and will literally disown them if they do bad in school.

Blacks do not prioritize education like asians do. Not even close.

Black parents celebrate if their kids decide to go to college and asian parents will disown or be embarrassed if their kids ends up in a community college regardless if they get good grades are not.

2)Asians work together. Japanese help other japanese establish businesses..chineese help other chineese establish business.

Black on Black crime is rampent in this country.

Blacks do not work together. Theres strength in numbers. Until blacks put their differences aside and work to create a plethora of technology, businesses, etc etc we will always be racially dependent on whites to survive.

3) Asians do stay under the radar....It's very hard to perpuate negative stereotypes about asians when they do nothing to fuel it...

I agree blacks have been discriminated against much more then asians but we should be fighting harder then them for respect.

Ha! good response

Why the majority of blacks cannot work together has always baffled me, but then again it is the same with whites as well, but they are never viewed from that perspective. With Asians I believe it is a common cultural understanding and coming from a country where everyone looks the same (not very mixed) it kind of forces you to stand out in a more positive way.

Old 02-03-2013, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Not long ago the rules said that a black man wasn't considered a full man and his vote didn't count as a full vote.

According to your logic that old law still applies.

The one drop rule was invented to keep deluded whites out and try to attempt to keep the white race pure.

If your full white your not good enough to be considered white.
You fall into the lower class which is black.

"The one-drop rule was made law, chiefly in the U.S. South but also in other states, in the 20th century – decades after the Civil War, emancipation and Reconstruction, but following the restoration of white supremacy in the South and the passage of Jim Crow racial segregation laws. In the 20th century, it was also associated with the rise of eugenics and ideas of racial purity."

One-drop rule - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

When blacks claim Barack as black and when Barack identifies as black he's perpuating old slavery ideals.

I see Barack as what he is...Bi-racial.

They can laugh all they want but it still doesn't change the fact that he came out of a WHITE WOMENS WOMB NOT A BLACK WOMENS.
Thats true but the key points are what he identifies himself as and what does the public veiw him as being is what makes him what he is. Even using your logic, if a child is born from a bi-racial mother what is his ethnicity?

Twins, One White, One Black Born to Biracial Parents Stirs Up ...

Old 02-03-2013, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayTwila View Post
Pittsburgh in my opinion is a remarkably well integrated City. At least in comparison to say: New York.

?????????????

Erie Pa is more intergrated than Pittsburgh, have you ever been to Pittsburgh or do you travel much?

Old 02-03-2013, 08:46 PM

2,631 posts, read 7,016,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
Its probably a little late now for Mr. Obama to change his identification.

But I don't know how it would come down, if he had decided to identify as white from the jump.

Pittsburghers of all ethnicities- and Italians across the nation including Sinatra- accepted the biracial Franco Harris as an Italian when he first came to the Steelers. That's why he identified as, and people were accepting.

Of course that was 40 years ago, and things change.
: smack::s mack::sm ack::sma ck:

BLACK + WHITE = BIRACIAL 1+1 = 2 IS is dat hard to understand....???? DUh duh

Old 02-03-2013, 08:55 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,030,476 times
IIRC, Obama said he didn't identify as black as a child, but he came to identify as black because that was how everyone perceived him.

I think we're mostly seeing a generation gap with this debate though. Starting in the 1990s, it became accepted for the offspring of black/white interracial relationships to embrace being biracial instead of merely black. I have no doubt, given his personal history, if nothing else change with Obama besides his being 20 years younger, he would have kept on calling himself biracial. But he grew up in a different time.

Old 02-03-2013, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
Thats true but the key points are what he identifies himself as and what does the public veiw him as being is what makes him what he is. Even using your logic, if a child is born from a bi-racial mother what is his ethnicity?

Twins, One White, One Black Born to Biracial Parents Stirs Up ...
Your overcomplicating the issue.

My family is compromised of hispanics,whites blacks and biracial.

My Uncle's first wife is hispanic and he's black. They had a daughter together. She's half black/half puerto rican.

His second wife is half black half white. He's Black. The kids are part white and mostly black.

It's not that complicated.

White people are ashamed that they mate with blacks and when they have offspring they don't want to claim them.

If a Horse had sex with a donkey is it a donkey or a Horse. No its a mule.

But when blacks have sex with whites it = black ??? if they don't look white enough.

One of my asian friends is mixed. His mother is half native american/half white and his dad is thai.

Which makes him half asian part white and part native american.

Bi racial is biracial. How can you disown part of who you are.

Its in your blood. Bi racial people are not pure breed. They are Bi racial. I do understand very few people in this country are actual PURE breds but there is a big difference between someone being a 1/4 of something and someone being 1/16 of something.

All this self identifying crap...you are who you are...
You can't choose your biological parents or family and you can't choose your race.

Your are born into it.

Last edited by Veyron; 02-03-2013 at 09:17 PM..

Old 02-03-2013, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
Ha! good response

Why the majority of blacks cannot work together has always baffled me, but then again it is the same with whites as well, but they are never viewed from that perspective. With Asians I believe it is a common cultural understanding and coming from a country where everyone looks the same (not very mixed) it kind of forces you to stand out in a more positive way.
Blacks do not work together because of pride and jealousy. In all honesty blacks do not want other blacks doing better then them. I know because I'm going through it right now. I'm 24 and I'm doing better in life then some blacks twice my age.

I drive a nice car own a luxury apartment plan on finishing college and plan on owning my own business very soon.

I get nothing but hate from most blacks ESPECIALLY the older generation.

They do nothing but tear me down. TRY TO TEAR me down.

THEY DO NOT LIKE IT WHEN SOMEONE HALF THEIR AGE is driving a better car, wearing better clothes and making more money then them.

Old 02-03-2013, 09:16 PM

6,342 posts, read 11,089,409 times
Quote:
It's honestly pathetic. Some racists do believe they are better then everyone else but most racism stems from insecurity.

I understand that certain racial groups are pro race and they work together to get ahead. I get it.

The bigots are what I have a problem with. Like the ones in CT. The worse kind of scum. They are the hill billy, low income, highschool dropout, losers who try to tear other races down because they suck at life. I have encountered plenty of those trash.

They make me sick to my stomach.

If your going to be racist at least be actually better then the other race.....

I remember this one guy named Dave at my old job at Acura told me he was racist against blacks..and how blacks steal, destroy things and are uneducated.

This guy couldnt even take off an oil filter.....

He was butt ugly...no college education...and sucked at the job...

Are service advisor was black and he owned 4 cars...his own garage...and made 50,000 a year.....
I spent most of my life in Simsbury and later in West Hartford. Also lived in Branford and Old Saybrook as a very young child. I was lucky and did not have to rub elbows very often with the kind of guy you are describing. Most of the members of my family and social circle are well educated or possess a good education and are not poor. They do not behave in the manner you describe Dave's personality.

Yes, people like that exist in every state and there is little doubt this guy is a racist. But I suspect on a per capita basis you will run into less in CT since it is a more affluent state and also one of the most highly educated in the country than in states like Missouri which have a lot of catching up to do. Even supposedly educated people around here, or at least a number of them behave like they are socially arrested and stuck in the 8th grade.

Bigots are usually just ignorant and don't have the kind of hate towards others that you describe. The best analogy I can give is to mention the old Archie Bunker character from the TV show All In The Family. Archie was a bigot but not truly a racist. He'd invite black people into his home and even sit down to eat with them. A racist? Not a chance.

It sounds like you have just been in the wrong place at the wrong time more than anything. It has been the same way for me here in KC. Had two cars totaled in the last year and neither accident was my fault. One I think may not have been an accident... I've also had dozens of bad experiences with the people here over the years a few of which I already described. I have a friend from Alabama who's wife is from an Indian tribe in Nebraska. Both of them HATE the KC area with a passion and believe most of these people are ignorant, backwards, childish and overly conformist. They now live in Washington State and are quite happy.

Now that you are starting to settle into your new Pittsburgh home, try not to dwell in the past and concentrate on the future. Don't forget what happened of course otherwise history has a tendency to repeat itself. But by all means just move forward and try not to put yourself into a position where you will have to deal with the jerks you described from the past. I plan to do that myself. As soon as I move out of Missouri in a few months, I will work on rebuilding for the future and won't dwell upon what happened here. By the same token I will not forget and will NEVER live in the KC region ever again. I won't make that mistake again.

Lastly, to the people in this string that are discussing the President's race. Who cares? Why not look at the guy as an individual and try to be color blind for a change. It seems to me we have too many people that have to bring up this issue and it only serves to continue to divide the country which is precisely what certain people in this country want. Divide and conquer. Don't play their foolish game because in the end it only serves to fragment our society into primitive little herds of people that want to in fight with others over petty little things like race among other things. Do what I do. I try to hate everyone equally regardless of race, creed, color, religion, sexual orientation or ethic background.

Old 02-03-2013, 09:17 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,895,961 times
Quote:
Blacks do not work together because of pride and jealousy. In all honesty blacks do not want other blacks doing better then them. I know because I'm going through it right now. I'm 24 and I'm doing better in life then some blacks twice my age.

I drive a nice car own a luxury apartment plan on finishing college and plan on owning my own business very soon.

I get nothing but hate from most blacks ESPECIALLY the older generation.

They do nothing but tear me down. TRY TO TEAR me down.

THEY DO NOT LIKE IT WHEN SOMEONE HALF THEIR AGE is driving a better car, wearing better clothes and making more money then them.
QFT! This is the real problem in the AA community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh