Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 08:43 PM

441 posts, read 765,882 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronPGH View Post
I really think the youth vote turned this one out for Peduto. Most of my friends who wouldnt normally give a rats ass about the primaries were rabid to vote for him today.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Yep. Most of my 20-something friends also rushed to vote for Peduto. Wagner didn't reach out to the younger demographic at all, and it really showed in how badly he lost. He just didn't even try to win.
This sums up my experience as well.

This was my first Pittsburgh primary because I'm normally registered as "non-affiliated" and therefore couldn't vote in previous primaries. I changed my party to Democrat just to vote for Peduto and Rudiak. The only thing Wagner and his crony Johnny Lee had to offer was more of the same old cronyism and machine politics. I'm very glad that Peduto and Rudiak won, and am very proud of Pittsburgh for seeing through the BS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2013, 08:52 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,879,034 times
While when the dust settles my gut doesn't really expect much of anything different then the status quo ultimately coming from Peduto, he at least ran on issues. All I got from Wagner's campaign was that he was in the marine corp & in politics forever, and that he had an awkward commercial with his daughter where she is proud that he has 'evolved on some issues' (wothout mentioning what shady past issue they are referring to.).

Thankfully merely being endorsed by the usual organizations wasnt enough to win.

Old 05-21-2013, 09:04 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
The Post-Gazette and Tribune-Review must both feel quite aghast to have both endorsed a candidate that lost by twelve percentage points, showcasing how little their endorsements truly mean anymore to the electorate. I've been scouring the commentary within the Post-Gazette all day, and the Peduto supporters on there outnumbered the Wagner supporters by a landslide. It made me wonder if Wagner's supporters either largely didn't have Internet access or just didn't care to try to defend their candidate and/or their rationale behind supporting that candidate.

I, too, am very proud of this city right now. I'm glad Lamar Advertising's crude anti-Rudiak billboards didn't stop her from claiming victory in her re-election bid. I'm glad Dan Gilman won in the East End. I'm glad Mr. Peduto won.

I'm inclined to agree with UKyank that not much will really change overall; however, I've always been keenly interested in politics at a local level, and today was an extremely exciting day to have off from work!

Old 05-21-2013, 09:15 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,588,550 times
Quote:
I've been scouring the commentary within the Post-Gazette all day...
Let me save you some time and post the complete inventory of PG comments (not limited to this election):

1. Something not quite racist enough to get deleted.
2. Something not quite sexist enough to get you deleted.
3. Pointing out the PG spelled something incorrectly.
4. "Where are the parents"/"You kids get off my lawn"/"Why can't they be like we were, perfect in every way..."
5. Absurd comments that tie every event in the city together based on what could charitably be called "interpersonal psychological theories."
6. People who really want to know if a given criminal suspect is black so they post something not quite racist enough to be deleted.
7. Things more pointless than 1-6.

Old 05-21-2013, 09:21 PM

441 posts, read 765,882 times
The butthurt coming from the Wagner campaign is hilarious.

Quote:
"Obviously, I'm a realist," Mr. Wagner said after his concession speech. "Not many people voted.

"Twenty thousand votes, and you win? That's really unbelievable."

He said the negative ads took a toll.

"Bill Peduto started the negative ads. It wasn't me. I am not an advocate of negative campaigning. But I had to respond."
Source

No, Wagner, it wasn't the negative ads. It wasn't the paltry voter turnout. You didn't win because YOU HAD NO PLATFORM AT ALL.

Quote:
The Post-Gazette and Tribune-Review must both feel quite aghast to have both endorsed a candidate that lost by twelve percentage points, showcasing how little their endorsements truly mean anymore to the electorate. I've been scouring the commentary within the Post-Gazette all day, and the Peduto supporters on there outnumbered the Wagner supporters by a landslide. It made me wonder if Wagner's supporters either largely didn't have Internet access or just didn't care to try to defend their candidate and/or their rationale behind supporting that candidate.
It's because Wagner and his hardcore supporters are still stuck in a time where endorsements actually meant something. They didn't think they had to put any effort into the campaign because they got the right endorsements and assumed the voters were dumb enough to blindly vote based on what their union and party told them to vote. They were wrong. Thank God that Pittsburgh voters have started to move away from "the machine."

Old 05-21-2013, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
Let me save you some time and post the complete inventory of PG comments (not limited to this election):

1. Something not quite racist enough to get deleted.
2. Something not quite sexist enough to get you deleted.
3. Pointing out the PG spelled something incorrectly.
4. "Where are the parents"/"You kids get off my lawn"/"Why can't they be like we were, perfect in every way..."
5. Absurd comments that tie every event in the city together based on what could charitably be called "interpersonal psychological theories."
6. People who really want to know if a given criminal suspect is black so they post something not quite racist enough to be deleted.
7. Things more pointless than 1-6.
Actually, the commentary on many articles on the Post-Gazette has been refreshingly intellectually-enriched as of late. I wish more people would reinforce or rebut instead of just clicking "like" on existing replies, but all in all it's not nearly as embarrassing as the typical commentary on KDKA news articles about drunken chicken wing-related shootings in Fayette County that show up in my Facebook news feed.

Old 05-21-2013, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tirade View Post
The butthurt coming from the Wagner campaign is hilarious. No, Wagner, it wasn't the negative ads. It wasn't the paltry voter turnout. You didn't win because YOU HAD NO PLATFORM AT ALL.
Wagner = Buzz words
Peduto = Concrete ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tirade View Post
It's because Wagner and his hardcore supporters are still stuck in a time where endorsements actually meant something. They didn't think they had to put any effort into the campaign because they got the right endorsements and assumed the voters were dumb enough to blindly vote based on what their union and party told them to vote. They were wrong. Thank God that Pittsburgh voters have started to move away from "the machine."
Couldn't have said it any better myself.

Old 05-21-2013, 09:47 PM

106 posts, read 218,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airwave09 View Post
Wagner seems to me to be just another career politician, a vote for him is a vote for more of the same cronyism in Pittsburgh.
Really? Peduto is as career politician as they come. 4th official run at mayor!?

And he's a drunk, but I digress... Congrats to the next Mayor of Pittsburgh!

Old 05-21-2013, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baconlegs View Post
And he's a drunk, but I digress...
Really? Getting my popcorn ready for an exciting four years then! LOL!

Old 05-21-2013, 10:09 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,588,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baconlegs View Post
And he's a drunk, but I digress...

Since he's a public official, that doesn't technically count as slander or a compliment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh