Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 11:27 AM

5 posts, read 8,091 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

I am moving from Cincinnati to Pittsburgh in the middle of September. I will be working in Carrick and would like suggestions on the best areas to live. I am a single female in my early 30s. I would prefer to be in an area with others my age, has easy access to the Carrick area, and preferably doesn't cost $1300 for a 1 bedroom (I am dealing with sticker shock right now because it seems like Pittsburgh is way more expensive than Cinci). Any advice would be much appreciated! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2013, 11:31 AM

29,747 posts, read 34,404,163 times
Wecome! I grew up in Cincinnati and most of my family still lives there. You didn't say if you prefer a suburban or city neighborhood, but to start I'd say look at Dormont, Brookline, and Mt. Washington (we have one, too!) for decent neighborhoods with an easy commute to Carrick.

Old 07-16-2013, 12:02 PM

1,183 posts, read 2,146,500 times
Pittsburgh is remarkably on par with Cincinnati in terms of cost of living. The stats I can find say that average rent in Cincinnati is $813.26 and average rent in Pittsburgh is $813.00. That's almost unbelievably similar.

Where are you looking that you're only finding $1,300 one-bedroom apartments? You could probably get a nice place in Shadyside or a new loft in Lawrenceville or the Strip for that, but otherwise I can't even think of an area of the city where that price would be standard.

Old 07-16-2013, 12:14 PM

4,599 posts, read 6,721,051 times
Buying a house in Brookline is your best bet. They are cheap now and will increase in value due to the fact that they are completely redoing the main street in the neighborhood. Not to mention it is very safe due to the large number of police officers that live there and it's very close to Carrick (you'll only have to cross one main road).

I'm just shocked that there's jobs in Carrick that are good enough to entice anyone to move here from another city.

Old 07-16-2013, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Wecome! I grew up in Cincinnati and most of my family still lives there. You didn't say if you prefer a suburban or city neighborhood, but to start I'd say look at Dormont, Brookline, and Mt. Washington (we have one, too!) for decent neighborhoods with an easy commute to Carrick.
Thanks, fleetiebelle! I am used to suburban areas but am willing to try a city neighborhood. Again, thanks for the advice!

Old 07-16-2013, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steindle View Post
Pittsburgh is remarkably on par with Cincinnati in terms of cost of living. The stats I can find say that average rent in Cincinnati is $813.26 and average rent in Pittsburgh is $813.00. That's almost unbelievably similar.

Where are you looking that you're only finding $1,300 one-bedroom apartments? You could probably get a nice place in Shadyside or a new loft in Lawrenceville or the Strip for that, but otherwise I can't even think of an area of the city where that price would be standard.

Hi steindle,

You can actually find nice 1-bedroom apartments for a lot cheaper than $800 in Cincinnati. I just started looking at Craigslist for apartments; and am honestly not sure what areas I was looking at (still figuring this all out). I just kept seeing a lot of 1-bedrooms listed for $1300. Thanks for the help!

Old 07-16-2013, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
Buying a house in Brookline is your best bet. They are cheap now and will increase in value due to the fact that they are completely redoing the main street in the neighborhood. Not to mention it is very safe due to the large number of police officers that live there and it's very close to Carrick (you'll only have to cross one main road).

I'm just shocked that there's jobs in Carrick that are good enough to entice anyone to move here from another city.

Thanks for the advice! I got a fellowship with CDC-NIOSH (and I believe it is located in Carrick). I just finished grad school and none of my classmates have found a job yet, so I'm lucky

Old 07-16-2013, 12:39 PM

4,599 posts, read 6,721,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPHGirl424 View Post
Thanks for the advice! I got a fellowship with CDC-NIOSH (and I believe it is located in Carrick). I just finished grad school and none of my classmates have found a job yet, so I'm lucky
I could be wrong but I think that might be in Baldwin which is the adjacent suburb. Either way Brookline is still a good option.

Old 07-16-2013, 12:48 PM

29,747 posts, read 34,404,163 times
Quote:
Thanks, fleetiebelle! I am used to suburban areas but am willing to try a city neighborhood. Again, thanks for the advice!
If you're looking for something more suburb-y, you could also look in Mt. Lebanon, Scott Township/Greentree or Bethel Park. How much of a commute do you want?

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 07-16-2013 at 01:01 PM..

Old 07-16-2013, 12:51 PM

1,183 posts, read 2,146,500 times
Quote:
You can actually find nice 1-bedroom apartments for a lot cheaper than $800 in Cincinnati. I just started looking at Craigslist for apartments; and am honestly not sure what areas I was looking at (still figuring this all out). I just kept seeing a lot of 1-bedrooms listed for $1300. Thanks for the help!
Areas in the South Hills that would be relatively cheap, close to Carrick, have a decent 30-something population, and safe include:

- Brookline ($650-700 seems standard for a 1BR)
- Beechview (as low as $450)
- Dormont ($550-600)
- Baldwin ($550-600)
- Brentwood ($500-600)

... or if you're willing to live in a denser environment, closer to the center of the city, the South Side Slopes might be worth looking into. They run about $550-800, depending on how nice the place is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh