Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2007, 12:25 PM

15,641 posts, read 26,273,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagger Lee View Post
That's it, I got to slice my wrist now...

I love how everybody on this forum always suggest sprawing out to the burbs.

How are the colleges outside of the city. Last I knew they were inside the city.

How are our parking fees highest in the country? Wow, I know they are high, but gwspa have you ever really been to another town. Do you think these problems are only in Pittsburgh? You seem to be really naive.

Your family and friends must also have never got out either. Personally, I think Pittsburgh is not nearly as bad as many east coast towns. Pittsburgh is very clean actually to say, Philly, Baltimore, Washington, areas of Chicago, LA, Buffalo, etc. I know a few areas of Pittsburgh are bad, bat that is in every city. Tell your family and friends to get out more, and look at the unique things of the burgh instead. Like our inclines, go to the mattrass factory, see the architecture in the War Streets,downtown, shadyside etc. Go to a Carnegie museum, the science center, a theater, there is so much to do. Usually it is hard to get unintelligent negative people to focus on things like this though. SO, I guess I understand.
Colleges outside the City proper? Beaver County Community College, my alma mater #1 Butler County Community College and alma mater #2 Penn State -- at Beaver, first -- then main... Geneva in Beaver Falls ( I think)

But if you're talking just Allegheny County? Robert Morris University comes to mind.

So there are colleges outside Pitt and Carnegie Mellon and Dusquesne....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2007, 12:29 PM

2,902 posts, read 10,072,915 times
Quote:
So there are colleges outside Pitt and Carnegie Mellon and Dusquesne....
and Point Park, Chatham, Carlow, and AI. :P

Old 11-11-2007, 12:30 PM

322 posts, read 300,467 times
well, she said all the colleges were outside of the city limits.

OH wait, she didn't. I am stupid.

Old 11-11-2007, 12:33 PM

15,641 posts, read 26,273,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guylocke View Post
and Point Park, Chatham, Carlow, and AI. :P
My turn for stupid -- what's AI?

Old 11-11-2007, 12:35 PM

Quote:
My turn for stupid -- what's AI?
Pittsburgh Art Institute.

Old 11-11-2007, 12:38 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times
What is your question about Geneva? I may be able to answer it. The college is located in Beaver Falls. It is a four year, Reformed Presbyterian college.

Old 11-11-2007, 01:03 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times
I can't believe that since I left for church this thread grew five pages. Here is some of my commentary (just what you were waiting for, right?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken_B. View Post
much anger in this thread.
Isn't that the truth!
I'm still looking forward to coming to Pittsburgh

Quote:
That is the nature of this forum I think. I admit that I get angry sometimes because I am very proud of being a Pittsburgher, and get upset when people come in and say really ignorant things about the city. Especially when they either moved away 20 years ago, live in the suburbs, or just say flat out lies about it.
We are all entitled to our opinions. There is nothing in the TOS that says a person has to live a certain place to post. The person who moved away 20 yrs ago may be more informed that someone living there right now! And when you get a little older, 20 yrs won't seem like that long of a time, in the scheme of things, on some issues anyway.

Quote:
Ditto. People CAN and do have negative things to say about the Burgh, that isn't fundamentally bad or wrong, of course!!!! But some people here do nothing but smear and slander when we'd rather hear constructive criticism and ways to improve things in Pittsburgh that need improving.
I agree!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken_B. View Post
I've lived in 5 different cities in my life. They ALL have good points and bad points. If you don't like a city - LEAVE and look forward. I hated the midwest (for myself) but I would never say it sin't right for some others. We are all different.
Wel, not everyone is able to just up and leave somewhere. Some people are stuck economically.

Quote:
This industry (oil) is self-limiting!! Don't forget. Major oil companies are actually drilling new holes LESS and less each year (according to them). They might be in clear water for the VERY immediate future, but once we have a network of hydrogen or once the GM Volt comes out for 2010 etc, the oil industry won't be on firm footing.

Once we have our own infrastructure set up for alternative fuels, we, being the "world-leaders" will undoubtedly help India and China do the same thing.

People WANT alternative fuels, people DON'T WANT oil companies. That's a key paradigm. And do you know what city is one of the country leaders in alternative fuels? Yep, Pittsburgh. Also don't forget, I think current projections say we only have, what, 20 years left of crude oil?
I've been hearing this for at least the last 30 yrs. It hasn't happened yet. I don't mean to be in denial or anything, but alternative fuels are just not there yet.

Quote:
Fine.

Last year I had a management and social-skills class. My class has about 140 students and men are the minority by a pretty large margin.
(That's interesting. Didn't know it was that way in pharmacy. It certainly is in PT)

We went to class one week not knowing what we would talk about and our professor went around the room and simply asked EVERY person if they would rather have a man manager or a female manager and why.

Every single man in the room (besides me, the one and ONLY) said men, which is not surprising.

What WAS surprising is that over 90% of the women ALSO said men.

Reasons that women gave?

"Men just have more of an authoritative presence"
"Patients just seem to respect men more and I think they leave feeling more confidant when they've had a male pharmacist"
"Women stay more passive because they are afraid of labels, aka "bi**h"

This is true! I have had posts on here deleted, gotten negative rep, etc for stuff that guys say and everyone tells them it's brilliant.
"Men aren't as easily pushed over as women"
"Women are too clique-y and gossipy"
"I am more comfortable working with men than women"
"Men just have a more confidant and compelling aura"
"Women are too catty and play favorites"
"Men are less lead by emotions and have a firmer work ethic"
"Men have more initiative and are less afraid of their own bosses"

It went on and on, the same type of comments, things I don't even agree with. And these are INTELLIGENT and WELL-OFF women, they aren't your naive women who think their place is at home knitting while men are the bread winners (which is FINE, btw).

After everything was said, the professor asked, playing devil's advocate, "and why should we want to hire you if you don't want to even hire yourself?"

Silence.

"Do you not believe the glass-ceiling is self-filling? Because I just saw it."

Silence.

He was making a point and his lecture was ENCOURAGING women to break out of their boxes. We also did a few more exercises with very similar results that I won't go into.

Now I'm not saying that sexist doesn't exist and that there aren't tons of instances where hard working women are simply treated unfairly, because they are.

But the class, albeit not a scientific instrument, was extremely surprising to me and I know it was scary to a lot of the young women.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpoeppel View Post
Most of that stuff is true, but gasoline-powered cars will still be cheaper than brand new technology for awhile. How long? Who knows. I hope to see the Chevy Volt succeed. It's a good concept: run on electricity for short trips (when gasoline engines are running cold and inneficiently) and then use gasoline for longer trips when the batteries run out. I think we are heading into a "transition" era when we will use a mix of petroleum and electricity for our tansportation needs. One could argue that it started with the Toyota Prius and Honda Insight, and I think they'd be right. Petroleum will still be an economical source of energy until we head past "peak oil", and even then we will still be using it...just much more sparingly. Also, "Big Oil" knows that it will have to change to survive. They are researching alternatives like biomass and solar. I think BP or Shell is one of the leading makers of solar panels if I'm not mistaken.

Since we'll be needing much more electricity to charge up these future electric vehicles, I've actually thought about going into the electrical generation industry. There's a technology called "Coal Gassification" that increases efficieny of coal-power plants and also allows for the sequestering of 90% of the carbon-dioxide. We have lots of coal left in the U.S., and lots of it in the Pittsburgh region. The DOE is researching ways to make "clean coal" cheaper. Right now it's probably too expensive to be competitive though.

Either way, it's a good time to be an engineer!
Finally, something you and I agree about!

Quote:
What I said, is you are paid on what you do for your company. In my firm there are 4 women managers with men working under them. The managers make more money. This problem is not just in western pa also. This is national.

Do you guys discuss salary so casually at your office? You might think that managers ALWAYS make more money than the managees, but it isn't always true. And I would be at least 5 c that the men managers make more than the women managers.

I can't stand when people take something you say, twist it, and try to use it for their benefit.
Quote:
God Damnit. The Steelers Suck!
True. I saw them lose to the Broncos at Invesco.

Quote:
Yeah, Duquesne actually IS quite progressive for Catholic University and most of the Catholism is kept completely separate from the Schools, in fact, I would NEVER even know Duquesne was Catholic just by being on campus. I've never had any member of the church teach a class, I've only seen a handful of these people walking around in all my six years, I know nothing at all about their chapel or their priesthood.

I mean, I would find it hard to believe that most students who go to Duquesne are even Catholic. Lord knows my group of friends aren't. Besides, private, parochial schools are often well regarded. Coming from these types of schools can really benefit you, and I know benefited me when I was applying to Universities. Just because a school is affiliated with a faith doesn't decrease the quality of the education. In fact, I may argue it is quite the opposite.

I agree. Both my kids went to Lutheran colleges. One got homesick and transferred to CU. The other came back for grad school. The Catholics and Lutherans have a long history of providing quality education.

People go because it's a fantastic school, that offers a very nurturing and individual experience, and is essentially downtown while remaining absolutely peaceful and beautiful on the bluff. And like Pitt and CMU, plays a very important role in the well-being of Pittsburgh. Perhaps not quite as high as CMU or Pitt on an overall scale, but I would say it's a close third. In fact, it may be MORE important in some ways, because it is the only standing private and parochial university in Pittsburgh (also consistently ranked in the top 5 Catholic Universities in the country) which bodes very well for people out of state looking to Pittsburgh for education. It really fits a lot of people's desires, even mine, and I'm pretty far from a Catholic.

Old 11-11-2007, 02:12 PM

Quote:
God Damnit. The Steelers Suck!
True. I saw them lose to the Broncos at Invesco.
Ok just because they had a shaky first half doesn't mean they SUCK. LOL. They are first in their division!! Besides, they pulled it off in the end.

:P

Another win for the Steelers!!!

Old 11-11-2007, 02:22 PM

322 posts, read 300,467 times
Quote:
Ok just because they had a shaky first half doesn't mean they SUCK. LOL. They are first in their division!! Besides, they pulled it off in the end.

:P

Another win for the Steelers!!!
That was posted during a kick return. It was in pure emotion.

LOL at the broncos btw. 4-5 sucks. Orange pom poms are retarded too!

Old 11-11-2007, 02:25 PM

Quote:
LOL at the broncos btw. 4-5 sucks. Orange pom poms are retarded too!
HAH!! But gold towel twirling isn't?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh