Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2008, 09:29 AM

11 posts, read 30,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyrell View Post
i am planning to move to pittsbugh i think pittsburgh is nice the cost of leaving is cheap i am disappointed to learn that the city of pittsburgh is bankrupt .i will never give up.thanks guylocke for lifting my morale .i will move to pittsburgh .
Actually, the only thing that's cheaper is housing, all other expenses are in line with other metro areas.

Best of luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2008, 09:59 AM

2,902 posts, read 10,066,997 times
Quote:
i am planning to move to pittsbugh i think pittsburgh is nice the cost of leaving is cheap i am disappointed to learn that the city of pittsburgh is bankrupt .i will never give up.thanks guylocke for lifting my morale .i will move to pittsburgh .
Um, my pleasure? lol. Actually the city is no longer bankrupt, that's another misconception that people hold on dear to. The city has had growing surplus for 3 years in a row and counting. The city IS in a lot of debt, but many, many, cities are. Is it a problem? Yes. It is unique to Pittsburgh? Lord no.

Quote:
Actually, the only thing that's cheaper is housing, all other expenses are in line with other metro areas.
That couldn't be further from the truth.

Old 01-13-2008, 12:20 PM
BVH

944 posts, read 605,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guylocke View Post
Quote:

That couldn't be further from the truth.
I dunno, I have to say, groceries here are FAR more expensive. Also, the taxes here are absolutely awful. We are paying $300-400 more per month in taxes than we were in Texas!!!

All in all though, Pittsburgh and the east coast is far nicer of a place to live than the southwest in my opinion and we are definately glad to be back.

Old 01-13-2008, 12:43 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
There are some cost of living calculators that purport to show the differences in COL in various places. You can compare two cities. I have checked Pittsburgh vs Denver and I really don't remember what it said beyond housing. I can tell you that housing is the biggest factor in the difference between any two cities. I tried to find the calculator to post it, but couldn't. It was on the Seattle forum.

Old 01-13-2008, 12:51 PM
BVH

944 posts, read 605,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
There are some cost of living calculators that purport to show the differences in COL in various places. You can compare two cities. I have checked Pittsburgh vs Denver and I really don't remember what it said beyond housing. I can tell you that housing is the biggest factor in the difference between any two cities. I tried to find the calculator to post it, but couldn't. It was on the Seattle forum.

This one is the one I have used for a while now, and it seems a LOT more accurate than any other I have used.

Moderator cut: link not allowed

I just tried the CNN one and it said that housing is 20% higher here than dallas and that groceries are cheaper. They are flat-out wrong about that.
Cost of Living - Cost of Living Calculator from CNNMoney

Last edited by Trainwreck20; 01-23-2008 at 02:07 PM..

Old 01-13-2008, 02:07 PM

919 posts, read 3,183,800 times
Its worth the extra money to live in pgh, you get what you pay for!!!

Old 01-13-2008, 02:18 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Sometimes, as my friend says, you pay for what you get!

I do not mean that negatively, only to say sometimes the price is too much to pay. Everyone has to decide for themselves. You have decided one way. Others will make a different decison.

Old 01-13-2008, 07:15 PM

19 posts, read 46,521 times
Thank you BVH, for the cost calculator links. Per the CNN site, if I make 60k here in the Bay Area of California, it equates to having to make $34,414 in PGH. It says the groceries are 30% less than Ca, housing 55% less, transportation 13% less, healthcare 24% less, and utilities 21% more- but most likely just due to heating costs in the winter. I felt I was doing well here in Ca, but now gas, housing, and food is so high it eats up all my extra funds after the rent is paid. ugh. It is beautiful here, and the diversity of people make it a great place overall. It's just too expensive in California, and the state has a budget crisis. I do want want to move closer to our family and friends back east, and hope to be able to soon. Some, like the song, leave their hearts in San Francisco, I left mine in Pa and need to get back to it. :-)

Old 01-14-2008, 07:05 AM

11 posts, read 30,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVH View Post
I dunno, I have to say, groceries here are FAR more expensive. Also, the taxes here are absolutely awful. We are paying $300-400 more per month in taxes than we were in Texas!!!

All in all though, Pittsburgh and the east coast is far nicer of a place to live than the southwest in my opinion and we are definitely glad to be back.

I spent a good bit of time in Texas earlier this year and can see why.

I grew up in the Burgh and split during Reagan's administration. I thought about moving back but I found that the only break I'd get would be in housing. I've lived in Prince William County VA for the past 20 years. Food, utilities were relatively the same. Gasoline prices in western PA were surprisingly higher. Make no mistake, Pittsburgh remains a rust belt city, not much has changed since we left. But I'd take it over west Texas anyday!

Best of luck.

Old 01-14-2008, 12:33 PM

2,039 posts, read 6,321,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafterman View Post
I spent a good bit of time in Texas earlier this year and can see why.

I grew up in the Burgh and split during Reagan's administration. I thought about moving back but I found that the only break I'd get would be in housing. I've lived in Prince William County VA for the past 20 years. Food, utilities were relatively the same. Gasoline prices in western PA were surprisingly higher. Make no mistake, Pittsburgh remains a rust belt city, not much has changed since we left. But I'd take it over west Texas anyday!

Best of luck.
I lived in west Texas once. In El Paso, I found it intriguing yet I was bored and felt out of place not being Hispanic. Mind you, this was way back in the early 80's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh