Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2013, 11:07 AM

4,240 posts, read 4,920,082 times

Advertisements

I agree to a degree with the fact that some pedestrians/cyclists take too many for granted the patience of the drivers on the road. But what it boils down to is: If you are driving a car (which weights 3000-6000 pounds) at even 25 mph, you can easily kill a cyclist/pedestrian. The opposite isn't going to happen. If a bike hits your car, you are looking at a dent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2013, 11:17 AM

1,174 posts, read 1,586,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanR View Post
This thread is discussing how bad people drive and you don't think it's appropriate to have them slow down in the midst of hundreds or thousands of kids?

You said "And if they aren't old/smart enough to accomplish that simple task...", are you implying that the kids aren't paying attention but drivers are? Cell phones, burgers, make-up, shaving... all take away from "that simple task" of paying attention to driving.
Yes, I think its a little ridiculous to assume that 15 to 18 yr old high school students lack the mental faculties to be able to cross a 2 lane residential road, regardless of what condition of distraction motorists are in, to the point where everyone needs slow to a crawl at 15mph.

Old 08-29-2013, 11:21 AM

1,174 posts, read 1,586,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
I am glad there are school zones at 15mph for all students. Kids do some dumb things when in large groups letting out of a school day, including one chasing another for a fight or whatever. Best that we drive the 15mph for that few seconds. No reason to be a selfish driver.
I believe you specifically stated that you go 10mph above posted speed limits at all times while bemoaning slow left lane drivers in a previous thread.

I support this assertion by pointing out that you believe getting through a 15mph school zone takes a few seconds. As you said, no reason to be a selfish driver curtis.

I'm not speaking from a position of complaining about being inconvenienced, but that of one addressing the practicality of placing school zones around high schools that probably don't need them.

Old 08-29-2013, 11:46 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-tip motha View Post
I believe you specifically stated that you go 10mph above posted speed limits at all times while bemoaning slow left lane drivers in a previous thread.
I believe you are embellishing what I said to defend your selfishness. It is your only defense. I certainly wouldn't drive 10mph over the speed limit in a school zone. Not only would it be one heck of a ticket, I don't want to run over some kid and live with that the rest of my life. Good luck to you, oh selfish one.

Old 08-29-2013, 12:35 PM

1,344 posts, read 3,406,106 times
Quote:
Yes, I think its a little ridiculous to assume that 15 to 18 yr old high school students lack the mental faculties to be able to cross a 2 lane residential road, regardless of what condition of distraction motorists are in, to the point where everyone needs slow to a crawl at 15mph.
I don't know what school(s) you're referring to but isn't the speed limit restriction time sensitive? Most have specific hour signs or a blinking light denoting the reduced speed. I personally don't believe that a reduced speed for 3 hours per day is an inconvenience.

Also, I don't know if the laws dictating school speed limits are at the State level. Our school district is a single complex (K-12) and has 2 dismissal times. The first is for 7th grade and up, the second is K-6. Is it OK with you that there's no reduced speed for ages 12 and up?

Old 08-29-2013, 03:47 PM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanR View Post
I don't know what school(s) you're referring to but isn't the speed limit restriction time sensitive? Most have specific hour signs or a blinking light denoting the reduced speed. I personally don't believe that a reduced speed for 3 hours per day is an inconvenience.
It is an inconvenience for Q-tip. She is in a hurry and could care less about some kids getting out of school. Wow!

Old 08-29-2013, 05:53 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,660,570 times
Here was a good one today: light turns green, opposing car decides to do Pgh Left (I was second in line). No problem EXCEPT: bicyclist in our direction, and she has to wait for it, blocking us while she waits. Seriously? If you're gonna pull a Pgh Left you damn well need to make sure you're going to be through there in a couple seconds because otherwise it all falls apart. Can't do it with a bicycle or pedestrians.

Old 08-29-2013, 06:01 PM
gg

I personally love the Pittsburgh left. I do that in other cities and no one seems to mind. It is like I am caught in the intersection and oops gotta hurry up and get through there. So what?

One of my favorite little deals is when you are in Aspinwall and going to go North on 28 next to that playground and people make two lanes. That was mentioned on here somewhere, but man that is just too cool. Imagine being some out of town person seeing that going on. There is no indication and people just make two lanes out of one. They do it ALL the time. Too funny, but it does make sense. I just did it the other day and the big line was going to go towards Pittsburgh, but they were cool enough to move far left to let others head north. Way to go Pittsburgh!

Old 08-29-2013, 06:59 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Actually, there was a serious accident in front of the high school in my neighborhood b/c some teens weren't watching and someone went speeding down the road about 55 MPH instead of the 25 required for a school zone when the lights are flashing. The students were used to cars slowing down for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
I personally love the Pittsburgh left. I do that in other cities and no one seems to mind. It is like I am caught in the intersection and oops gotta hurry up and get through there. So what?

One of my favorite little deals is when you are in Aspinwall and going to go North on 28 next to that playground and people make two lanes. That was mentioned on here somewhere, but man that is just too cool. Imagine being some out of town person seeing that going on. There is no indication and people just make two lanes out of one. They do it ALL the time. Too funny, but it does make sense. I just did it the other day and the big line was going to go towards Pittsburgh, but they were cool enough to move far left to let others head north. Way to go Pittsburgh!
Don't try it if you move to Boulder.

Old 08-29-2013, 07:23 PM

2,369 posts, read 2,913,376 times
i caught myself going 30 during those kids getting out. i didnt see the "speed is 15 mph while flashing" as i had some ahole cut in front of me so i moved over and sped up to avoid collision.

felt bad and well i see some drivers hate those who do follow the 15 mph.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh