Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 08:33 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,882,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobick View Post
Pretty good synopsis in the comments section of the PG (posted by a familiar name):

Seems to me to be a version of the same story that's gumming up Washington. There is a moderate, bipartisan majority that could get a lot accomplished if only the Republican leadership would allow them to do so.
The union wage provision seems pretty sensible so if that's the only provision that was changed in the bill that was defeated then shame on the democrats that voted against it & their blind loyalty to unions.

As to the tea types that weren't supporting it they're too loony to consider their support at all so should be written off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2013, 08:34 AM

4,240 posts, read 4,919,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impala26 View Post
From the Post-Gazette:

Push by Corbett, Rendell and others for House to vote for transportation bill fails - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Not even Rendell stepping in to drum up bipartisan support could get this bill to pass. I am basically neutral when it comes to unions, but local democrats voting in lock-step AGAINST this bill because of the union-wage provision is deplorable and shows how out of touch they are with the REAL issues of Western Pennsylvania. There goes our bridges and the Port Authority, way to go and stick up for your union constituents!

Next question: Just HOW screwed are we now?
You seem very versed with transportation. Once the public realizes how f'ed we are when we start having dirt roads again something will get done

Old 11-19-2013, 08:34 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,085,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
I suspect characterizing your rural fellow citizens as "Billy Joe Blob redneck" isn't going to do much to foster future cooperation on issues such as this.
It's ok, there isn't any internet access out in the sticks, so they won't be reading this thread.

Old 11-19-2013, 08:38 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,821,015 times
House Roll Calls - 2013 RCS# 891 - PA House of Representatives

looks like adam ravenstahl voted against it
Quote:
Adam Ravenstahl is a Democratic member of the Pennsylvania House of Representatives for the 20th District which includes the North Side, Strip District, Polish Hill, Stanton Heights, and Lawrenceville neighborhoods of the city of Pittsburgh, as well as parts of the suburbs of Reserve Township, Ross Township and West View.
Adam Ravenstahl - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

turzai also voted against

Old 11-19-2013, 08:40 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airwave09 View Post
It's ok, there isn't any internet access out in the sticks, so they won't be reading this thread.
Doesn't say much about the ability of your side to muster its superior intellect and communications savvy that "Billy Joe Blob rednecks" still apparently manage to wield enough political influence to thwart initiatives you support. And part of me hopes they continue to do so as long as you sneer at them so derisively. It's kinda fun to watch from a distance.

Old 11-19-2013, 08:40 AM

1,776 posts, read 2,698,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
He's the next one to get a phone call... The union excuse is also a bad one, although nowhere near the level of the "bu buhhh buhhhh my dirt roads!"

Old 11-19-2013, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronPGH View Post
I just called Brad Roae's office and had it out with a woman in his office for 10 minutes. As suspected, she made totally clueless arguments about how PA's tax dollars are spent. Y'all can call too: (717) 787-2353

Me: "If PA has $10 million dollars to spend on a rural road project, and all PA residents pay the same amount in tax dollar percentages, then is it safe to say that a much larger portion of urban residents are paying for this rural road project than rural residents?"

Her: "No, everyone pays the same in taxes"

Me: "You're not getting this. Is it fair that a rarely used rural road project should be paid for by a majority of urban PA residents?"

Her: "That's Brad's position. Sorry".

I seriously want to choke these people.
Haha that's awesome, I had a feeling that we were dealing with a special kind of stupid here, this just verifies it completely.

The problem is you can't work with people like this to come to a reasonable conclusion. They lack the critical thinking capabilities to be talked back to reality from their crazy line in the sand.

Old 11-19-2013, 08:45 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,719,253 times
Infrastructure crumbles at home while the military industrial complex worldwide grows: Volume 2546

Divide and conquer is still going strong too, as the "us vs. them" mentality of rural vs. city prevails. Government wins again.

Old 11-19-2013, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Doesn't say much about the ability of your side to muster its superior intellect and communications savvy that "Billy Joe Blob rednecks" still apparently manage to wield enough political influence to thwart initiatives you support. And part of me hopes they continue to do so as long as you sneer at them so derisively. It's kinda fun to watch from a distance.
Yeah that seems smart, let the infrastructure of a state fail because you disagree with someone of an internet message board. Good thing you have no actual influence in this important matter.

Old 11-19-2013, 08:50 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,821,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronPGH View Post
He's the next one to get a phone call... The union excuse is also a bad one, although nowhere near the level of the "bu buhhh buhhhh my dirt roads!"
I understand why some of the rural Republicans would vote against but I'm looking through and there are a lot of urban democrats which is simply inexcusable...several in montco, some with good septa service! they're willing to throw their own constituents under the bus to please the unions
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh