Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 07:56 PM

1,010 posts, read 1,394,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by westwoodmom View Post
And you were part of dual earner couple with school age children, with parents working downtown and Oakland area, where in pittsburgh or suburbs would you live and why? Would you send kids to private or public school?
In the east it would be oakmont. North would be aspinwall or ohara twp. The school districts and close proximity
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2013, 10:17 PM

876 posts, read 1,144,789 times
Wilkinsburg.

Kiddos ain't gonna learn nothin' being pampered, n'at.

Old 12-13-2013, 01:23 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,549,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
If money were no object I would have moved to a different country a long time ago.
Maybe we can start a fund.

Old 12-13-2013, 02:14 AM

2,369 posts, read 2,913,376 times
if I won the lotto, id buy that house on st james in shadyside.

Old 12-13-2013, 04:40 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,720,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Maybe we can start a fund.
Why, did you break a hip?

Old 12-13-2013, 07:10 AM

540 posts, read 868,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
$ No object - I'd buy 3 acres worth of land in squirrel hill & demolish everything but my primary residence to have a nicely landscaped yard with perhaps a Versailles-esque garden.
You would need to pronounce it "Ver-Sales" though.

Old 12-13-2013, 07:25 AM

3,733 posts, read 5,966,964 times
If I had my choice and money were no object, I'd find me a nice sturdy house in Murdoch Farms, which is north of Forbes and west of Whightman Street. Incredible neighborhood with brick streets, substantial but not pretentious houses, tall tree canopy, and a real homey feel. Most are in the million dollar range. Love driving through there and dreaming.

Old 12-13-2013, 08:29 AM

32,617 posts, read 77,624,272 times
Interesting question, and thanks for querying us!

Let me preface my recommendations by indicating I don't currently have children, but I have lived in the city (the westernmost end of the East End) for over three years and would ideally raise a family in an urban environment after a restless and boring upbringing in sterile suburbia.

In strictly alphabetical order, these are all of the places I'd consider living:

DOWNTOWN: Even just since 2010, when I moved here, our city's central business district has noticeably improved. With the impending completion of the new PNC HQ Tower, Market Square Gardens, and the redevelopment of the Civic Arena site (all probably done by 2015-2017) I foresee nothing but continued rebirth occurring here. I would buy a condo at 151 FirstSide, personally, where I could easily walk my children across the Smithfield Street Bridge to Station Square, where we could watch the dancing water fountain, eat at Hard Rock Cafe or Buca di Beppo, take a Segway or Just Ducky tour, cruise on the Gateway Clipper, ride the incline up to Mt. Washington to grab ice cream on Shiloh Street and marvel at the skyline views, or buy chocolate-covered insects at a specialty store in the "mall". We could also walk to Point State Park (with our Siberian Huskies) to run and play, gawk at the fountain, enjoy the Three Rivers Art Festival, etc. We could head to the Cultural District to see an off-Broadway show, such as The Sound of Music or a performance by the Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra. Around the holidays there's ice skating at PPG Plaza, along with gingerbread house showroom and the vendors at Market Square, not to mention Macy's. Once again public schools may be questionable; however, there's always the private or charter/magnet route if fiduciary obligations were not taken into consideration.

HIGHLAND PARK: We're blessed to have two vehicles, so we can take our demanding Dachshund to any number of great parks within a 10-15-minute drive. Nevertheless we prefer to drive to Highland Park just due to its sheer beauty. If money were no consideration I'd move my family to the top floor of the Parklane (the skyscraper in Highland Park) so we could enjoy great views of everything. We'd be able to walk to the anemic (yet improving) Bryant Street business district. Bus service up and down Negley Avenue or Highland Avenue is frequent and reliable. The zoo and aquarium are at your fingertips. It's a quick drive across the bridge to the Waterworks, where there is a movie theater, Barnes & Noble, T.J. Maxx, and more. Kids (young and old alike) really also seem to love Five Guys Burgers & Fries and Burgatory, both of which have Waterworks locations. I make deliveries to the Dilworth School, in the southeastern quadrant of Highland Park, pretty frequently, and the staff, parents, and kids I always see seem happy.

MEXICAN WAR STREETS: Lobick lives here and is raising (a) child(ren). I feel like being able to walk to the National Aviary, the Childrens' Musem, the Mattress Factory, West Park, and much more would be great assets for a parent. The historic architecture in this area is stunning, the topography is mostly flat (gently rising the further north you progress away from West North Avenue), and the neighborhood enjoys at least some measure of diversity---racially, culturally, and socioeconomically. The public school system may not be very desirable (I'll defer to North Siders on this), but high school-aged children could certainly walk back-and-forth to Downtown's CAPA, if accepted. With money being no object I'd plunk down $350,000 for a fully-loaded and renovated rowhouse in the heart of the Mexican War Streets and pay for private schools for my children, if necessary.

POINT BREEZE SOUTH: It's already been mentioned several times, but it's worth repeating. The Mellon Park splash park is easily-accessible, and both Frick and Schenley Parks are a quick drive (or bike ride) away. The neighborhood is mostly flat, which is conducive for all of those Point Breeze mommies who love jogging while pushing a stroller, walking their dog, and yakking absent-mindedly into their cell phones simultaneously. The business district is anemic---yet cute. Neither Pino's nor Point Brugges---the two main restaurants of Point Breeze South---are particularly kid-friendly, though. Point Breeze South houses the highest-earning census tract in the city (while also being quick walking distance to one of the poorest). With that being said crime doesn't really "bleed" south of Penn Avenue, and really not much south of the Busway overpasses anymore. Real estate is sky-high, but money is no object, correct? Public schools are average to above-average, and I'd feel fine sending my kids to them. Our new mayor lives here, which should ensure the neighborhood remains highly desirable AT LEAST for another four years.

POLISH HILL For as overlooked as my current neighborhood is it does offer a lot of great things for a young family. I live a few doors uphill from West Penn Park, which has a spray fountain, skate park, large swimming pool, rec center with a gym, playground, baseball field, walking track, etc. It is very underutilized. Lili's Coffeehouse has some great dinner options on Wednesday nights, along with great brunches and quick bites, especially if you're a vegetarian or vegan, which a large portion of the neighborhood is. There's a comic book store, if your kids are into that. There is talk of turning the former Immaculate Heart of Mary School on Paulowna Street into a community center where artists can collaborate and offer seminars and classes. The Strip District and all it has to offer is a quick walk away. Downtown, Shadyside, Oakland, Lawrenceville, and Bloomfield are all accessible within 5-7 minutes via car. You can take the 54D bus to either the North Side or South Side (via Oakland), and there's a Polish Hill stop on the East Busway to link you to either Downtown or the rest of the East End. Taking the kiddos to a Pirates game would be a breeze by hopping a bus to Downtown on the Busway and then the free subway ride, which the kids would love, over to the North Side station. Real estate is becoming very expensive here due to the city's housing shortage; however, if money were no object I'd buy a "hidden" house in the tucked away part of Polish Hill on the WESTERN side of the 28th Street Bridge, below Frank Curto Park and above the Strip District. There's a nice luxury home that is (was?) on the market on Stockholm Street for over $500,000. I believe elementary-aged children go to Woolslair Elementary School, which is about to close, so I don't know what the public school situation would be like after that. Winchester Thurston is ten minutes away, if necessary, as are Central Catholic and Oakland Catholic.

SHADYSIDE: People in Squirrel Hill keep proclaiming that Shadyside "isn't family-friendly", but I don't see why it wouldn't be. No, there aren't many parks/playgrounds; however, just about everyone in Shadyside has a yard large enough for a trampoline, swingset, sandbox, and other kid-friendly amenities. My partner used to live near Alder & Lehigh, and there were several younger families around him who all seemed to be happy. Shadyside has THREE business districts, all of which are an easy walk to anyone besides those living in West Shadyside, who are much closer to the South Craig business district. These business districts do house "bro" hangouts like Steel Cactus, LGBT hangouts like Spin and 5801, coffeeshops out the wazoo, art galleries, and various bars catering to 20-something floozies, but they also house a few ice cream parlors, banks (with lollipops!), specialty markets, toy stores, pet stores, etc. Now that Shadyside is in a better public school feeder pattern I don't foresee any real advantages Squirrel Hill has over it besides the three mentioned above by EveKendall (and even then I think the Squirell Hill Giant Eagle sucks compared to what's nearer to Shadyside).

SQUIRREL HILL NORTH: No offense intended to those living south of the magical boundary that splits the neighborhood in half, but it's neither fun nor easy to be pushing a stroller or walking with toddlers/young children up and down steep hills to access anything useful (same goes for Greenfield). Personally I like the business district on Forbes between Shady and Murray and on Murray down to about Beacon Street. Once you start heading down the hill, though, between Beacon and Forward on Murray the caliber and cohesion of the business district just seems to change---for the worse. Yes, there's a second Starbucks, a board game store, a great Indian restaurant, and a few other perks down there, but by and large people don't like to "stroll" the hill on Murray Avenue whereas when we enjoy the rare "Squirrel Hill date-night" on a warm Friday evening Forbes Avenue's sidewalks are jammed with pedestrians. The northern part of the neighborhood enjoys proximity to a great library, the theater, a non-Jewish house of worship (since, believe it or not, everyone in Squirrel Hill isn't Jewish), a police station/fire station, pizzerias, a multi-restaurant delivery service (shameless plug), flat topography, and easy access to either Frick or Schenley Parks. South Squirrel Hill is fine, too, but if money wasn't a consideration I'd be less inclined to buy there. The public school system in Squirrel Hill North is fine, despite what h_curtis thinks, and Jews are harmless!

Old 12-13-2013, 08:42 AM

606 posts, read 944,308 times
I kind of see this as two different scenarios.

If I could get any housing and schooling anywhere I wanted cost-free but otherwise needed/wanted to maintain our current jobs (in Oakland), I'd want something like this. A gorgeous space with room to cook and entertain in, with no outdoor stuff to maintain, in a location that would allow my spouse and me to walk to work and our kiddo to walk to the school she currently attends. I think her school is the perfect fit for her and wouldn't switch regardless of finances.

But if money really were no object whatsoever (and someone else were doing yardwork) I think we'd change our lifestyle substantially. I'd be in school full-time and I suspect spouse would work for a startup, most likely from home, so commuting would be less of an issue. I could see getting something like this and rehabbing it, or getting something like this or this and just enjoying it. Or a houseboat. I've always been curious about a houseboat.

Old 12-13-2013, 09:08 AM

357 posts, read 888,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Now that Shadyside is in the Allderdice feeder though, I just don't see what advantage Squirrel Hill has anymore. Shadyside has better business districts these days, and (in my subjective opinion) the top end houses there tend to be nicer. I realize some people would balk at how you get less home/yard for the money, but IMHO the more modest-sized yards are a selling point, and if money was no object, the first point is moot.
They are both nice. I find Sq Hill more family friendly. Also when we were looking it seemed easier to get a house with a garage in Sq Hill. Sq Hill is also closer to Colfax (shorter school bus ride or walk to school).

What do you mean by top end houses being nicer in Shadyside? Seems like both locations have a good supply. The problem with the top end houses in these areas is that the housing stock is old, and some of the nice ones haven't been properly maintained (or have been poorly renovated).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh