Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2014, 06:40 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,719,253 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneW View Post
That really makes no sense at all and doesn't sound anything like the Pittsburgh that I know.
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. There is very little sense of community and taxes have always been sky-high. Also I have been to plenty of other global cities on 3 continents and there are still tons of places where you can walk at night and not have to worry. In most cases being a global/world-class city is nothing to be ashamed of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2014, 07:02 AM

2,576 posts, read 3,093,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. There is very little sense of community and taxes have always been sky-high. Also I have been to plenty of other global cities on 3 continents and there are still tons of places where you can walk at night and not have to worry. In most cases being a global/world-class city is nothing to be ashamed of.
PB must be a very strange neighborhood of Pgh.

Old 04-28-2014, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doo dah View Post
PB must be a very strange neighborhood of Pgh.
PB = Pittsburgh

But my real neighborhood is Carrick. I know the names of about 20% of my neighbors, no one invites on another to parties, I've have seen the same faces for a decade and they don't wave hi, people litter and/or dump and no one cares, people flip out if you park in "their" spot on the street, and my dad got a gun pulled on him. Pretty sure that qualifies as a lack of community.

Old 04-28-2014, 07:40 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,894,540 times
Quote:
PB = Pittsburgh
Pgh = Pittsburgh.

PB = Point Breeze.

Old 04-28-2014, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
Pgh = Pittsburgh.

PB = Point Breeze.
It was a silent jab at someone who had the location FC.

Old 04-28-2014, 07:43 AM

632 posts, read 853,610 times
"Global City" is such a mushy, ill-defined term.
Exactly what are they trying to say here, and what are the advantages
of being a "global city"?

In general our entire country suffers from a severe case of tunnel vision
when it comes to an awareness of what's going on in the rest of the world.
A combination of the fact that we are so vast, and have been so dominant
we did not need to give it much thought for decades.

Old 04-28-2014, 07:50 AM

1,035 posts, read 1,554,803 times
Quote:
PB = Pittsburgh

But my real neighborhood is Carrick. I know the names of about 20% of my neighbors, no one invites on another to parties, I've have seen the same faces for a decade and they don't wave hi, people litter and/or dump and no one cares, people flip out if you park in "their" spot on the street, and my dad got a gun pulled on him. Pretty sure that qualifies as a lack of community.
I usually tend to agree with you on this. I don't think Pittsburgh is a mean city, but I also think "Pittsburgh Nice" is an old stereotype. On my street, I do have two older neighbors who are truly Pittsburgh neighbors. They would give you the shirt off their back. But, the younger neighbors keep to themselves and I have no problem with that. I do, however, have a silent issue with the young couple that moved in across the street. The husband goes out of his way to NOT wave or say hello, anything. They have lived there since June 2013 and he hasn't acknowledged me once. I've looked in his direction to catch his eye, in which case, I would then attempt to say hello, but he really goes out of his way to avoid all contact. Aside from going straight up to him and saying, "Excuse me, I'd like to say hello." it won't happen. I have, however, exchanged brief small talk with his wife. We don't have to be BFFs, but can you at least acknowledge my existence? But all in all, I have an excellent street with an excellent group of neighbors.

In the suburbs, I tend to notice the younger demographic has more of a "Channel 11 News said you're a stranger and could steal my identity or children so I'm going to ignore you." type mindset. But once again, this is everywhere, with the exception of the deep south.

Old 04-28-2014, 07:58 AM

Quote:
It was a silent jab at someone who had the location FC.
o_h, i_c.

Old 04-28-2014, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngabe View Post
In the suburbs, I tend to notice the younger demographic has more of a "Channel 11 News said you're a stranger and could steal my identity or children so I'm going to ignore you." type mindset.
They're the first generation (in my lifetime, anyway) to grow up believing in "Stranger Danger."

Old 04-28-2014, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngabe View Post
I usually tend to agree with you on this. I don't think Pittsburgh is a mean city, but I also think "Pittsburgh Nice" is an old stereotype. On my street, I do have two older neighbors who are truly Pittsburgh neighbors. They would give you the shirt off their back. But, the younger neighbors keep to themselves and I have no problem with that. I do, however, have a silent issue with the young couple that moved in across the street. The husband goes out of his way to NOT wave or say hello, anything. They have lived there since June 2013 and he hasn't acknowledged me once. I've looked in his direction to catch his eye, in which case, I would then attempt to say hello, but he really goes out of his way to avoid all contact. Aside from going straight up to him and saying, "Excuse me, I'd like to say hello." it won't happen. I have, however, exchanged brief small talk with his wife. We don't have to be BFFs, but can you at least acknowledge my existence? But all in all, I have an excellent street with an excellent group of neighbors.

In the suburbs, I tend to notice the younger demographic has more of a "Channel 11 News said you're a stranger and could steal my identity or children so I'm going to ignore you." type mindset. But once again, this is everywhere, with the exception of the deep south.
I do agree that the "Pittsburgh Nice" thing is an old stereotype. I honestly don't think it applies anymore and hasn't for some time.

I don't think the "don't associate with your neighbors" thing is unique to my neighborhood or even the city itself. I know plenty of people that live all over the city and in the suburbs that have the same experience. Maybe it is out of fear or maybe it's more along the lines of IDGAF. I'm not really sure, but either way I do wish there was some sort of sense of community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh