Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 01:33 PM

75 posts, read 93,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Yes, but the housing stock in Mars is nowhere near similar to 7 Fields and Cranberry.
Can you elaborate? As someone who doesn't live in these communities, I wasn't aware there was much of a difference, but obviously I'm mistaken.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2014, 01:34 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Our gunshots and shootings are far less than your gunshots and shootings.
Sheesh! Doesn't anyone in Cranberry Township have a sense of humor, or is beige all that is allowed?

Old 05-20-2014, 01:37 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,207,721 times
One could ask the same about those in the 'burgh...but as for myself, I find it all very entertaining.

And we have less parking chairs than you do...which I find extremely entertaining.

Old 05-20-2014, 01:42 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
One could ask the same about those in the 'burgh...but as for myself, I find it all very entertaining.

And we have less parking chairs than you do...which I find extremely entertaining.
We have more French fries on our sandwiches than you do, so there!

Old 05-20-2014, 01:58 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EggMaker View Post
Can you elaborate? As someone who doesn't live in these communities, I wasn't aware there was much of a difference, but obviously I'm mistaken.
Read my posts responding to his. I elaborated. He's referring to Mars BOROUGH, not the greater Mars Area School District. Mars BOROUGH is an old town built at the turn of the century. Seven Fields is a newer housing development in Seneca Valley School District. Housing in Mars BOROUGH and Seven Fields were built in different eras, but the greater area Mars Area School District has housing plans similar to Seven Fields.

Copanut, you're confusing people!

Old 05-20-2014, 03:35 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,546,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Read my posts responding to his. I elaborated. He's referring to Mars BOROUGH, not the greater Mars Area School District. Mars BOROUGH is an old town built at the turn of the century. Seven Fields is a newer housing development in Seneca Valley School District. Housing in Mars BOROUGH and Seven Fields were built in different eras, but the greater area Mars Area School District has housing plans similar to Seven Fields.

Copanut, you're confusing people!
And there is no Wexford.

Old 05-20-2014, 08:55 PM

62 posts, read 98,974 times
Seven Fields is a more compact and walkable. A lot of sidewalks and more cohesively planned. In Cranberry and Mars suburbs, there are pockets of developments that are detached from the rest of the township from a walking perspective. Yes Cranberry has 3 large and nice parks, but unless you live in a adjacent development, it is likely you will have to drive there. This being said, a good chunk of the new housing development has been planned with walking/biking access in mind. For example, the new housing being built surrounding Graham park.

My kids are going through the Seneca Valley school system and I am very happy with the schools. My oldest is at the intermediate high school and I am impressed with the academics, programs, clubs, and activities. My only gripe is how far away the school is from Cranberry. Mars school district is also good, and last I checked edges SV when it comes to test scores (for what it is worth). Schools are all clustered together in a central location.

When it comes to Cranberry, you will get a lot of negativity here from a few people, and to some extent, I see their some of their points, however for a family with kids, the positives outweigh the negatives.

Positives: excellent municipal services, well run administration, ample sports programs, everything you need is within 2-3 miles, great YMCA, modern infrastructure, low taxes, desirable businesses are moving in, close to Moraine park and McConnells Mill, close to 79 and 76, a lot of restaurants and food places (although we could use more local joints), low taxes, 3 huge and beautiful parks, good school system, low crime, fast fire response, great police presence, good shopping without an indoor shopping mall (yes, the lack of an indoor mall is a plus in my opinion), Zelienople and Harmony nearby, a great paintball field, and a decent amount of late night spots (a few with live music)..

Negatives: a lot of detached neighborhoods (from a walk-ability perspective), much of the roads are too dangerous to bike, rush hour traffic is a little annoying (not awful), it is growing awfully fast, homes are no longer as affordable as they used to be, not very diverse (but slowly changing for the better), prevalent mono-culture (slowly changing for the better)

Old 05-21-2014, 07:32 AM

994 posts, read 901,136 times
My advice is to visit the area and take a drive/walk around Cranberry and Mars. People like different things. I can't stand Cranberry personally, but if you like generic housing developments and driving to everything, then it is the place for you. If you want more 'breathing' room, then go with Mars. If you purchase a house be sure to know what is going on with fracking. Have the proper tests down before it starts in your area so that you can prove there was not a problem before moving there.

Old 05-21-2014, 07:38 AM

44 posts, read 80,670 times
All three are very, very vanilla.

Old 05-21-2014, 11:47 AM

41,016 posts, read 18,207,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by analog808 View Post
Seven Fields is a more compact and walkable. A lot of sidewalks and more cohesively planned. In Cranberry and Mars suburbs, there are pockets of developments that are detached from the rest of the township from a walking perspective. Yes Cranberry has 3 large and nice parks, but unless you live in a adjacent development, it is likely you will have to drive there. This being said, a good chunk of the new housing development has been planned with walking/biking access in mind. For example, the new housing being built surrounding Graham park.

My kids are going through the Seneca Valley school system and I am very happy with the schools. My oldest is at the intermediate high school and I am impressed with the academics, programs, clubs, and activities. My only gripe is how far away the school is from Cranberry. Mars school district is also good, and last I checked edges SV when it comes to test scores (for what it is worth). Schools are all clustered together in a central location.

When it comes to Cranberry, you will get a lot of negativity here from a few people, and to some extent, I see their some of their points, however for a family with kids, the positives outweigh the negatives.

Positives: excellent municipal services, well run administration, ample sports programs, everything you need is within 2-3 miles, great YMCA, modern infrastructure, low taxes, desirable businesses are moving in, close to Moraine park and McConnells Mill, close to 79 and 76, a lot of restaurants and food places (although we could use more local joints), low taxes, 3 huge and beautiful parks, good school system, low crime, fast fire response, great police presence, good shopping without an indoor shopping mall (yes, the lack of an indoor mall is a plus in my opinion), Zelienople and Harmony nearby, a great paintball field, and a decent amount of late night spots (a few with live music)..

Negatives: a lot of detached neighborhoods (from a walk-ability perspective), much of the roads are too dangerous to bike, rush hour traffic is a little annoying (not awful), it is growing awfully fast, homes are no longer as affordable as they used to be, not very diverse (but slowly changing for the better), prevalent mono-culture (slowly changing for the better)
Can't speak for the schools, but this is the most accurate description/post about the areas as you'll find.

And if you want to work/travel to the city, its 20 minutes away. Many here have extremely exaggerated opinions on how far or how driving in general is such a big deal. Take a ride around and I'm sure at least one of the 3 areas will have what you're looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh