Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2014, 09:00 PM

41,018 posts, read 18,189,699 times

Advertisements

If one can't find good pizza in Pa., one is not a pizza eater, extremely picky, or both. Ive been to many pizza places in many states, and while there are good and great pizzas all over the US, there are plenty here. However, I couldn't be paid to gag down Little Caesars or Dominos but once a year or 2...but they're cheap so they survive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2014, 09:06 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneW View Post
I've given up on ever liking a pizza in Pennsylvania. As much as I love this city, I've had to accept that I'll never find a good slice here. It's in the same category as bagels and hard rolls for me.
I tend to make pizza at home. Sometimes I will buy the dough at Trader Joes or a big square flat bread from there and make my own pizza. I used to make the dough, but I found it to be about the same as the dough I can buy. I like my pesto pizza and really any of them. I haven't found pizza in our region that can compare with my homemade. I am not sure why we can't make a pizza like they do over in Brooklyn? I just don't get it. Seems Pittsburgh folks like flavorless cheese and sweet low quality sauce.

Old 06-28-2014, 09:07 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,727,826 times
I like Vincent's Pizza. They make big pies, and they're very generous with the toppings. I had one when I was up there earlier this month. Glad to see they're open again.

Old 06-28-2014, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
I tend to make pizza at home. Sometimes I will buy the dough at Trader Joes or a big square flat bread from there and make my own pizza. I used to make the dough, but I found it to be about the same as the dough I can buy. I like my pesto pizza and really any of them. I haven't found pizza in our region that can compare with my homemade. I am not sure why we can't make a pizza like they do over in Brooklyn? I just don't get it. Seems Pittsburgh folks like flavorless cheese and sweet low quality sauce.
You should open a shop. Would love to try it. You could even sell the recipe. Somebody else here was talking about opening a pizza and donut shop.

Old 06-28-2014, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
I like Vincent's Pizza. They make big pies, and they're very generous with the toppings. I had one when I was up there earlier this month. Glad to see they're open again.
Yep, very good pizza.

Old 06-28-2014, 09:28 PM

2,269 posts, read 3,798,780 times
Slice On Broadway is the best pie in Pittsburgh.

Old 06-28-2014, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herodotus View Post
Slice On Broadway is the best pie in Pittsburgh.
I've been hearing that. Looking forward to trying it.

Old 06-28-2014, 10:08 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,983,832 times
We've been down this road before. There is no "best" unless you want to rate pizza by who's got an actual Italian government DOC classification for meeting the requirements of a Neapolitan pizza (Il Pizzaiolo).

People generally like the pizza place and/or style they grew up with. Few ever really venture outside that little box.

After reading this thread, the only two people I see myself sharing a pizza with are Jay and Gene (and Gene, I can tell you a couple of places).

My personal faves are:
- Bella Cucina
- Il Pizzaiolo
- Dinette
- Claudio's
- Harry's
- Apizza Badamo
- Slice (if it were easier to get there, it would be in my regular rotation).

My emergency delivery pizza is Pizza Parma. I used to like Bado's but something there went amiss a couple years ago. I'm OK with the holy trinity of Pittsburgh pizza (Mineos/Aiellos/Fiori) but I wouldn't go out of my way for any of them. I do like one chain - Anthony's Coal Fired. And there are flatbreads at several restaurants I like.

Three places I won't go to again. Beto's. Granted I was warned and told in advance that I'd hate it - and I did - but felt I had to do the initiation to Pittsburgh. Crust! which is about all that pizza is. What is it around here that shops actually advertise that they use Grande cheese from Wisconsin? And Campiti's, which I wanted to try because I'd read good reviews. On the drive home I took a slice out of the box, then immediately called my wife to tell her I was bringing home the crappiest pizza I'd ever had outside a drive-in movie and did she want me to stop somewhere else. So I picked up some slices from Caruso's on the way home (back before Caruso's sold).

Last edited by sskink; 06-28-2014 at 10:20 PM..

Old 06-28-2014, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
We've been down this road before. There is no "best" unless you want to rate pizza by who's got an actual Italian government DOC classification for meeting the requirements of a Neapolitan pizza (Il Pizzaiolo).

People generally like the pizza place and/or style they grew up with. Few ever really venture outside that little box.

After reading this thread, the only two people I see myself sharing a pizza with are Jay and Gene (and Gene, I can tell you a couple of places).

My personal faves are:
- Bella Cucina
- Il Pizzaiolo
- Dinette
- Claudio's
- Harry's
- Apizza Badamo
- Slice (if it were easier to get there, it would be in my regular rotation).

My emergency delivery pizza is Pizza Parma. I used to like Bado's but something there went amiss a couple years ago. I'm OK with the holy trinity of Pittsburgh pizza (Mineos/Aiellos/Fiori) but I wouldn't go out of my way for any of them.

Three places I won't go to again. Beto's. Granted I was warned and told in advance that I'd hate it - and I did - but felt I had to do the initiation to Pittsburgh. Crust! which is about all that pizza is. What is it around here that shops actually advertise that they use Grande cheese from Wisconsin? And Campiti's, which I wanted to try because I'd read good reviews. On the drive home I took a slice out of the box, then immediately called my wife to tell her I was bringing home the crappiest pizza I'd ever had outside a drive-in movie and did she want me to stop somewhere else. So I picked up some slices from Caruso's on the way home (back before Caruso's sold).
So when are you opening that pizza and donut shop you were talking about? I've been looking forward to somebody showing the 'burgh how pizza is done.

Old 06-28-2014, 10:25 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
My childhood pizza place was great in the 60s an 70s. The pepperoni was under the cheese. When the owner retired and sold the place, the new owners changed everything. It's just bland garbage now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh