Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 11:24 AM

64 posts, read 240,962 times

Advertisements

By the posts on this forum you would think the Century 3 mall/South Hills area is some kind of ghetto! The mall area is declining but the surrounding area is solid middle class. Drive through suburban Pleasant Hills, Whitehall, Jefferson Hills and South Park a mile from Century 3 and its 150k-250k houses. While it may not be Mt. Lebanon or USC the areas are comparable to a place like Bethel Park. A large majority of the Century 3 and Wal-Mart shoppers come from the East. They drive or take the bus in from lower income areas of Mckeesport, Clairton, Duquesne, Homewood etc. Its a shame a declining shopping district is defining an entire region of the South Hills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2007, 12:07 PM

2,902 posts, read 10,076,045 times
South Hills is a very broad area, you need to be more specific. South Hills Village Mall and the Galleria of South Hills do very well for themselves.

Century III is disgusting, but I also remember when it was once THE mall to go to. I mean, my family being in Westmoreland County always went to Greensburg Mall or Monroeville, and being able to go down to Century III mall was a real treat.

They still have one of the only Ruby Tuesday's in the entire Pittsburgh area and I LOVE Ruby Tuesday's.

For those of you wondering, "RUBY TUESDAY'S" WHAT??????

If you haven't been there in the last two or so years, they're menu and entire dining experience has completely changed. Their food is a lot more expensive and much better than it used to be, I was really shocked and enjoy it very much.

Old 12-19-2007, 01:19 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,783,646 times
Century III is not as disgusting as Eastland Mall was at the end (turned into a flea market) and Olympia Shopping center (not a mall...but compared to Southland...). Jeez.

I think Century III is "declining" because of the stores and shopping springing up around it. I remember when Century Square wasn't there; and now there's Wal-Mart and Target as well. I think they built all these stores and just didn't consider rather the region could support them. Nevertheless, I don't think the situation is horrible. My sister works at JCPenny's in Century III and they seem busy enough this Christmas season.

Old 12-19-2007, 01:37 PM

The Mall inside is fine. It's an attractive mall that isn't like crumbling on the inside, but the outside is horrific. I was actually there about two weeks ago (for Ruby Tuesday's) and you couldn't even drive around the mall. It's all fenced off with holes and repairs.

Blah!!

I'm just not very impressed at all with the mall anymore, maybe "disgusting" was a bit harsh. I mean, there is VERY little I can even buy there. They have many specific stores for the African American community because that is the bulk of their clientele, now. It's not a bad thing, but it is the truth.

I can't really go to Century III to shop.

Old 12-19-2007, 01:49 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,783,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guylocke View Post
They have many specific stores for the African American community because that is the bulk of their clientele, now. It's not a bad thing, but it is the truth.

I can't really go to Century III to shop.
I agree it's a shame they don't upkeep their parking lot and parking garage. But I don't get the aforementioned statement. I don't see Century III as a mall that caters to the "African-American community". They only place in the Pittsburgh area that I think is like that is the East Liberty shopping area. I mean the Easy Spirit, that Uniform Store, that smoke shop, that store with all the Hawaiian shirts and ugly swimsuits...those don't seem to cater to African-Americans.

My oh my. Maybe I'm tainted because when I lived in Miami, I was right by a place called the "163rd Street Mall". Every store in there was sooo ghetto. From the wig store to the cell phone shop that sold used/unlocked/(probably stolen) cell phones. The food court had a place that sold conch fritters (how about that?). I think they even had hair braiding on the weekends. Century III is light years away from that!

Old 12-19-2007, 01:53 PM

Quote:
I don't see Century III as a mall that caters to the "African-American community".
TRUST me, this isn't my snotty opinion, it's quite a well known fact. At least, it is, for my generation.
Quote:
Every store in there was sooo ghetto. From the wig store to the cell phone shop that sold used/unlocked/(probably stolen) cell phones. The food court had a place that sold conch fritters (how about that?). I think they even had hair braiding on the weekends. Century III is light years away from that!
Could be, lol. I dunno. Not every store is of course. But there is a very, very, high percentage of African American's who shop at Century III and the mall capitalizes on that. Nothing wrong with that.

Old 12-19-2007, 02:30 PM

29,756 posts, read 34,449,009 times
Last time I was in Century III, it looked like a ghost town, and it was a Saturday, when the joint should have been jumping.

I drove down to the West Mifflin Target last night, and the drive from the city is just so depressing. The 51 corridor is just crumbling and full of empty strip malls and vacant lots. It might be near many middle class homes, but it sure doesn't look like it.

Old 12-19-2007, 02:30 PM

3,733 posts, read 5,972,980 times
Century III was built in the late 70s during the last gasp of Big Steel in that area. Don't forget, West Mifflin was a post-war suburb that many steel workers from McKeesport, Homestead, Duquesne and other older mill towns flocked to for newer homes, yards and better air. When the mills went bust in the 80s, that area had some hard times, and I think it's reflected to this day. When Century III opened, most people in that area had good jobs. Today they may be struggling a little more. It was never an upscale mall, but it did reflect the middle-class status of the surrounding area. Eastland Mall in North Versailles was the same way. It had Gimbels, Sears, Penneys, Thorofare, Wander. And before Eastland, people shopped in downtown McKeesport. Each new mall kills the older one nearby.

Old 12-19-2007, 03:15 PM

42 posts, read 171,821 times
Century III may not be the best mall but it is a very nice mall. I grew up on that side of the river. I lived in Lincoln Place for 10 years and looking to move back home, my town where I lived. I moved to WVa last year and loved it. but then when my sister got very sick and I had been traveling back and forth to pgh alot. Now I really miss home. I am extreamly homesick for Pa.

We are now looking to move back and hoping to find decent homes for rent at a decent price. I do not want to live on the west side of the river, hate it, Robinson is turning into McNightmare areas now, it is so bad and filled with nothing but troublesome teens who like to be troublemakers.

Century III may be dead but I love it, they are thriving and much better than Parkway or Eastland area.

Old 12-19-2007, 07:34 PM
PPG

509 posts, read 1,424,148 times
Wow! What happened since I was there back in july???????????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh