Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 06:11 PM

1,051 posts, read 2,612,482 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by john7104 View Post
A lot of people don't like the Galleria at Pittsburgh Mills - it's not a bad mall. Haven't been to the theater there yet, is it nice?
I don't like the galleria either....I've never been to the movie theatre. I think it's an IMAX so I would imagine it's nice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2008, 02:07 PM

85 posts, read 519,975 times
It's a shame that C3 mall has declined. When I was in high school and we all got our licenses (1999-2001 era) that was the place to go. It was always packed on the weekends, and a lot of girls from the surrounding high schools frequented, which was nice.

Unfortunately, I think a lot of it has to do with the stores opening up around C3 and also the Waterfront stores have a lot to do with C3 going downhill. I think people are moving away from the surburban feel of an indoor mall and the trend is going back to outdoor open air shopping areas (Waterfront, South Side Works, etc).

C3 is def. my most fondly remembered mall. And the only one I've gotten kicked out of numerous times hahaha.

Old 01-09-2008, 10:32 PM

531 posts, read 1,744,257 times
I remember going to Century III as a little girl,and it was a really nice place to shop. I was there recently and see it has really gone downhill--empty stores,cracks in the floor,and the carpeting is dingy and dirty looking.

Old 01-11-2008, 12:47 PM

23 posts, read 143,811 times
I was born and raised on the north side (Beaver Ave area ) moved here to Rhode Island in 1960 and have lived here every since and love it. But I have to admit that i still have good feelings about the Burgh.
I live near the ocean and love it. Some times I wonder about my old friends there in Pittsburgh you know how many went to jail or got married which can be very similar. My buddies I hung out with at a place called the Bright Star names ( and I'LL only give first names) was Butchie,Billy,Ed. Mary Maureen. Went with Mary until I went into the Navy she was a real nice person, If any of this sounds familiar write .

Old 01-12-2008, 08:11 PM

18 posts, read 51,382 times
century III will be closing i dont know how that place will look.when i think about it i feel sad,i think south hills is very quiet without the mall it will be horrible .I love the area,i wonder what they will build there.

Old 01-14-2008, 10:01 AM

85 posts, read 519,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyrell View Post
century III will be closing i dont know how that place will look.when i think about it i feel sad,i think south hills is very quiet without the mall it will be horrible .I love the area,i wonder what they will build there.
That;s a shame, it is def. one of the cooler looking malls, architecture wise... Just too bad it's getting loss of business from Waterfront and also being in an area that is closing up in general.

Old 01-14-2008, 08:12 PM

9 posts, read 24,672 times
What an interesting situation regarding Centry III. I also remember when it opened and that it was THE place to shop. At the time South Hills Village was rather run down and Centry III was brand new. - Have I aged myself?

From a development point of view - what happens to these very large indoor malls once they close? I haven't heard much about the subject.

I have heard about creating a mixed used environment - residential AND commercial together in a Mall environment. I don't know if anyone has ever tried it.

Old 01-15-2008, 12:21 AM

15,639 posts, read 26,263,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghPlanner View Post
What an interesting situation regarding Centry III. I also remember when it opened and that it was THE place to shop. At the time South Hills Village was rather run down and Centry III was brand new. - Have I aged myself?

From a development point of view - what happens to these very large indoor malls once they close? I haven't heard much about the subject.

I have heard about creating a mixed used environment - residential AND commercial together in a Mall environment. I don't know if anyone has ever tried it.
That's a common thing out here in California. Here's one Santana Row - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And one that isn't as high end
Contra Costa Centre - The Heart of Contra Costa County (http://www.contracostacentre.com/ccca_atc1.html - broken link)

A lot of people love the idea. It sounds perfectly awful to me , but that's just me...

Old 01-15-2008, 11:43 AM

6 posts, read 26,535 times
Default Century 3 mall

Well obviously Century 3 mall can never and was never considered upscale and a Nordstrom, Neiman Marcus, Lord &Taylor or Bloomingdales would never consider locating there BUT regudless Century 3 had always been a good B mall. Most of America does not have malls that compare to Pittsburgh's South Hills Village or Ross Park Mall BUT that does not mean that the market Is not still quite viable. Sears, Pennys, Boscov's, Marshalls, Dillard's, Linnens and Things, Old Navy, Macys, Steve and Barry's, Ross Dress For Less, Dicks, Books A Million, TJ Maxx, Michaels, Borders Books and others are type retailers that belong at a B mall like Century 3. Most of Simons malls are Indeed B malls and they agressively lease and maintain those centers but choose to turn their back on Century 3, last Saturday the mall was jumping despite Simon's total lack of Interest, there Is a B market In Pittsburgh's South Hills and Simon should step up to the plate and begin agressively operating and maintaining this mall, they have no shame. Remember that May Company expanded the Century 3 store twice since It opened, that was hardly because there was no business, TJ Maxx and Marshalls were not unhappy with sales at Century, Boscov's wanted to be there, Value City bought and tried their best to keep the last Gimbels store open at Century 3 BUT Simon tossed them out on their ear.

Old 01-16-2008, 10:04 AM

439 posts, read 1,474,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghPlanner View Post

I had heard that UPMC was taking over Century III.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh