Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 10:33 PM

511 posts, read 1,937,182 times

Advertisements

I think it's the only mall I haven't been to since I have moved down here. Did Century III use to draw alot of buses? I remember my mom going on bus trips from Erie that I swear would take them to that mall, and she would comment on how lovely the mall was. This Route 51 corridor is something I want to take time and explore when I have a day off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2007, 08:48 AM

2,039 posts, read 6,323,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guylocke View Post
South Hills is a very broad area, you need to be more specific. South Hills Village Mall and the Galleria of South Hills do very well for themselves.

Century III is disgusting, but I also remember when it was once THE mall to go to. I mean, my family being in Westmoreland County always went to Greensburg Mall or Monroeville, and being able to go down to Century III mall was a real treat.

They still have one of the only Ruby Tuesday's in the entire Pittsburgh area and I LOVE Ruby Tuesday's.

For those of you wondering, "RUBY TUESDAY'S" WHAT??????

If you haven't been there in the last two or so years, they're menu and entire dining experience has completely changed. Their food is a lot more expensive and much better than it used to be, I was really shocked and enjoy it very much.
I LOVE the Galleria! Anthropology and all those other great stores that carry top of the line clothes. If we can't have a Nordstrom at the Galleria or South Hills, then at least we have the nice stores at the Galleria.
Strangely enough, there are some brand new and quite nice stand alone stores (Marshalls, JC Penney, Etc) on Route 19 going into Washington County. There are a ton of new stores (built within the last few years) and quite a few strip malls with just about every store imaginable in Washington County.

Old 12-21-2007, 06:53 AM

518 posts, read 2,532,028 times
the champs outlet store is great and has many items from champs sports really cheap

Old 12-22-2007, 07:37 AM

919 posts, read 3,184,906 times
I never liked C3 Mall....not even like 25 years ago...just kinda of depressing.

Old 01-03-2008, 04:47 AM

6 posts, read 26,534 times
Default Declining Century 3 Mall Landlord neglect

Simon property group owns Century Three Mall. They are the largest mall developer In the nation. Simon owns the 2 premier Pittsburgh malls, Ross Park as well as South Hills Village, both malls are well managed and both are quite upscale. I am repulsed unprofessional way that Simon Is running Century 3, they should be ahamed. That mall Is the largest In the Pittsburgh area but when Simon bought South Hills Village they STOPPED leasing and maintaining Century. They are not giving Pittsburgh shoppers any reason to shop there, what had been a 5 ancor mall Is now a 3 ancor mall, THANKS SIMON If there was a jail for bad landlords Simon should be on death row for killing Century 3. Years ago Boscovs wanted the Lazarus space when It became available BUT Lazarus and Macys made a deal to keep Boscovs out and put that crummy furnature store In where Lazarus had been. Boscovs Is a middle market department store and belongs In Century 3 mall, Simon should have done the Boscovs deal, I feel that they are purposely making Century 3 mall fail. Old Navy Is leaving at the end of January, there will be no Old Navy In south hills while there are 2 on Mcknight road, GO FIGURE! Simon could agressively lease Century 3 but doesn't. Century 3 was never an upscale mall BUT Is a middle market mall. Century 3 services a different market and customer base than South Hills Village. Correctly leased Century 3 can draw customers from Greensburg, Squirrel Hill, Uniontown, and Monroeville, and Is built In an upper middle class area, there is no reason that Century 3 cannot be sucessful except that the landlord will not correctly lease the mall and Its crimminal. Simon has MANY middle market malls that are In small towns that are sucessful, they know how to run middle market malls. The Mall property Is private property and Simon can stop bus service but Instead allows every bus on their property, Ross Park mall does not. The parking lot Is horrible, parts are closed the air conditioning Is broken. Simon knows how to lease malls but looks like they are tying to kill the mall for some reason and that's unfortunate because Century 3 and South Hills Village can operate sucessfully together because they attract a different tennant mix. I wish the community would apply pressure, Pleasant Hills/West Mifflin Is not a bad area and deserves a decent well run mall, not the blighted atmosphere that Simon has painted. It should be against the law to run a nice property Into the ground. I wish that Simon would give Pittsburgh's largest mall the attention that It deserves so It can once again flourish. Bring Boscov's, Dillards, put TJ Max and Marshalls back, put a Borders Book or Barnes and Noble or even Books a Million In, Ross Dress For Less, Saks outlet, Nordstrom Rack, H+M, Jo Annes, Linnens And Things, Bed Bath And Beyond, Neiman Marcus Rack, Cabelas, even resturants like Rainforest Cafe, Cheesecake factory or even Daves Famous, most of these tennants are not In the South Hills, Seems Simon Is pretending that they can't lease the mall but 30 years of successful retail tells a different story. Simon Is truly not maximizing this property's potential, actually cheating South Hills out of a good place to shop, Simon should want that mall to suceed, Its the largest mall that gets the least attention and thats just not right.

Old 01-03-2008, 01:13 PM

5,110 posts, read 7,140,512 times
This should have been titled Mon Valley, not South Hills.

Old 01-03-2008, 01:26 PM

439 posts, read 1,474,691 times
Did UPMC buy the mall? Someone told me it is closing and UPMC is taking over. Maybe I heard wrong?

Old 01-05-2008, 05:47 AM

3,131 posts, read 9,375,591 times
When you have people living in an area who think Marshall's and Penney's are quite nice stores, why would a Nordstrom's even consider locating there?

Century 3 mall is the largest in the Pittsburgh area? You better let Pittsburgh Mills know that. They think they're the largest mall in Western Pa.

As of 2006 Century 3 was 30% vacant with much of its spaces occupied by discount stores and local specialty stores selling odds and ends.

Century III Mall was recently put on the market by Simon Property Group, the owner of the mall, claiming that it doesn't fit the company's portfolio of more upscale malls, such as Pittsburgh's Ross Park Mall and the nearby South Hills Village mall.

Century III Mall - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-05-2008, 06:00 AM

511 posts, read 1,937,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterRabbit View Post
When you have people living in an area who think Marshall's and Penney's are quite nice stores, why would a Nordstrom's even consider locating there?

Century 3 mall is the largest in the Pittsburgh area? You better let Pittsburgh Mills know that. They think they're the largest mall in Western Pa.

As of 2006 Century 3 was 30% vacant with much of its spaces occupied by discount stores and local specialty stores selling odds and ends.

Century III Mall was recently put on the market by Simon Property Group, the owner of the mall, claiming that it doesn't fit the company's portfolio of more upscale malls, such as Pittsburgh's Ross Park Mall and the nearby South Hills Village mall.

Century III Mall - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
That's weired, the whole Pittsburgh Mills complex is large, but the mall itself isn't that big. I think the Millcreek Mall in Erie is an overall larger mall area. There are alot of vacant storefronts in Pittsburgh Mills too.

Old 01-05-2008, 07:14 AM

5,110 posts, read 7,140,512 times
Century 3 serves the most depressed area in the county. That part of the county has been declining for decades. In those conditions, a mall can't thrive or even maintain what it once had.

Notice that the major malls have improved over the years because the area can support such a level. It's unfortunate and Simon or somebody else could better manage the property, but there's no way today that it could be on the same level as South Hills Village or Ross Park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh