Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 07:08 AM

3,110 posts, read 2,917,912 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Well now, isn't this a pleasant little conversation ? So, uh, how do you think the Steelers are going to do this year ?

Don

Not sure how they will do over the course of the season, but I am sure about one thing. I have my pajama pants freshly washed, and my pots and pans set up by my 2nd story windows.

Go Stillers!

Old 09-04-2014, 07:18 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,719,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
Yep, they would be... But I doubt your claims very much. If true then thanks, I'll make sure I dont Vacation in Japan.
Google "Japan cash based society". Unlike people stuck in bubbles like you (which is exactly what you accuse yinzers of) I like to get out and experience life outside of the East Coast.

But any, back to the word "yinzer": it's essentially an easy way of saying "dumb white local". That's exactly what I picture in my head when I hear that word thrown around as an insult here.

Old 09-04-2014, 07:21 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,895,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I think it's because I have yet to meet a "yinzer" that isn't outdated technologically, socially, and culturally.

If the people who "didn't trust the ATM" when I worked at the bank aren't "yinzers", then what are they?
If the people who think bikes don't belong on the road aren't "yinzers", then what are they?
If the people who refuse to pay taxes to fund a better city aren't "yinzers", then what are they?
If the people who wear Steelers pajama pants around in public aren't "yinzers", then what are they?
If the people who pull a Pittsburgh Left when they shouldn't aren't "yinzers", then what are they?
If the people who bang pots and pans out windows during Steelers games aren't "yinzers", then what are they?
If the people who don't support same-sex marriage equality aren't "yinzers", then what are they?
If the people who don't have Internet access by choice aren't "yinzers", then what are they?
If the people who shovel snow into the plowed street aren't "yinzers", then what are they?
If the people who use parking chairs aren't "yinzers", then what are they?
Shall I continue?

Would it be less offensive to just call the outdated locals "jagoffs" or "social regressives" rather than "yinzers"? If so, then I'll shift towards one of those two terms. I always thought "yinzer" = "outdated local". I never knew "yinzer" = "upstanding progressive person".
I will also add with in context of the subject of thread...

Yinzer's .... Are very big Cash over Plastic people. Still writes ~10 Checks a month and buys stamps to mail bills vs. using Online Bill Pay. Goes into the bank to get cash. Still wants their Cancelled Checks back every month, gets Paper Statements and Bills in the mail. Rather stand in line rather than transact online.

Old 09-04-2014, 07:23 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,882,782 times
"Pittsburgh is awesome, now if only all the Pittsburghers would leave"

Old 09-04-2014, 07:25 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,895,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post

But any, back to the word "yinzer": it's essentially an easy way of saying "dumb white local". That's exactly what I picture in my head when I hear that word thrown around as an insult here.
Not dumb nor exclusive to whites, at least not when I use it.... My use of term "Yinzer" mainly pertains to Stubborn Non Evolving Locals. Never once did I call folk dumb, thats your conclusion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
Google "Japan cash based society". Unlike people stuck in bubbles like you (which is exactly what you accuse yinzers of) I like to get out and experience life outside of the East Coast.
Thats good I do too....trust me this progressive lifestyle you detest so much isn't exclusive to the East Coast... Take a trip to the West Coast or Chicago it'll blow your mind how much of the US is seeped in that nasty progressive culture

Last edited by Blackbeauty212; 09-04-2014 at 07:33 AM..

Old 09-04-2014, 07:36 AM

32,617 posts, read 77,624,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
Def do not use the term jagoff...becuase those people are not jagoffs, you my friend are a jagoff.
That's fine. Unlike the touchy people on here I don't mind if I'm called a jagoff. My personality can be brash, blunt, and abrasive. I know that. I've accepted that this is who I am.

Quote:
I don't know how you ended up on that pedestal but you need to come down off of it. Does it make you feel better about yourself when you deride others for being who they are? Why do you care if someone is afraid of an ATM? Or what they wear?
Well, for starters, when you work at a bank like PNC that has aggressive sales quotas (with limited time to make sales calls to fulfill them) and have executives coming in asking why your "transaction migration" (i.e. fancy politically correct terminology for herding the yinzers to the ATMs) isn't up to snuff you WILL care when someone is "afraid" of the ATM with no valid reason.

When you're in line at the bank to get a cashier's check to close on the purchase of your first home and have to wait in line behind eight people who are going to go up to the teller and then fill out a withdrawal slip for $20 from their account while handing the teller their debit card so they can look up their account number, which they don't know, "because they're afraid to use the ATM", then you WILL care when someone is "afraid" of the ATM.

As far as what they wear is concerned I don't PERSONALLY care if people wear Steelers pajama pants in public or if they wear a tuxedo; however, when we're trying to shed this national image of us being this old, filthy, smoky, industrial, trashy city (look at the thread on City vs. City in which we're competing with Charlotte residents who still think this about us) I don't want all of these media types, tourists, etc. coming here, seeing that, and then giving us negative publicity that could threaten our ongoing renaissance.

Quote:
Also, there are zero proposed tax increases to cover things such as infrastruce, so you can drop that one from your list?
No. I'm not going to quit harping on this subject until I figure out how to successfully lobby for a tax increase to fix our infrastructure so we're no longer forced to drive across bridges that became structurally deficient in 1986; have to stare at tree-like weeds growing out of concrete medians; or have to pay $700 every time we hit a water-filled pothole in January. The city is only going to recover so far with garbage infrastructure, and while the recent strides in East End street repaving and Downtown/East End bike lanes are encouraging, they are only a drop in the bucket compared to what the rest of the city still needs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tclifton View Post
I find it ironic and sad that a gay man and a black woman are the ones that use the epithet the most.
Why?

Quote:
Shall I make a list gay stereotypes, and ask if they're not F*'s, what are they?
Go right ahead. I know many of my fellow gays ARE promiscuous, vain, shallow, fashion-conscious, image-conscious, trendsetters, etc. Many, many of we gays smoke heavily. I don't. My partner does, and so have all of my previous boyfriends. I adhere to some gay stereotypes, either willingly or subconsciously. If a straight person walked by me wearing an Armani Exchange shirt (that I got on sale at a place like TJ Maxx) and said to themselves "there's a gay...", then I'm fine with that.

I want we gays to become more mainstream in order to have greater acceptance in order to eventually face less prejudice, so, if anything, I try to redirect my counterparts when necessary to adhere to more societal norms.

Quote:
Shall I make a list of black stereo types, and ask if they're not N'*'s what are they?
Go right ahead. Just as I strive to keep my more outlandish gay peers in line in hopes of greater acceptance someday for future generations of "the gays" I also expect that upstanding blacks are ultimately responsible for fixing the black-on-black violent crime epidemic plaguing Homewood, the Hill District, and other areas, since they simultaneously do and don't want whites to come in and fix the problem.

Any positive change in fixing the problems that the gay, black, Asian, Latino, or whatever other community may have is largely going to NEED to come from WITHIN, like it or not. It's not politically correct to say, but if I, as a young gay white middle-class male, moved into Homewood (perhaps due to the impending Great East End Housing Crisis of 2020) and started saying "I'm going to turn things around here", I'd be a target for malaise, resentment, and negative backlash from people who'd think I was being pompous, self-aggrandizing, elitist, racist, or a combination of all factors.

We can't let gays continue to chain-smoke and sleep around and contract STDs out of low self-esteem and loneliness anymore than we can continue to let poor blacks in Homewood continue to shoot other poor blacks in Homewood out of a feeling of hopelessness and despair. What I've noticed about this sub-forum in particular is that NOBODY wants to ever discuss how to go about fixing difficult problems or to have "touchy" conversations. Everyone would rather just skirt around things in the most politically correct route possible while these problems never get fixed.

Quote:
It's ignorant and elitist.
It also says a lot about your ambivalence towards societal flaws if you don't see a need to encourage society to always try to be improving itself.

When I was a Freshman in high school a belated teacher of mine pulled me aside after class one day when he noticed I was "dumbing down" my vocabulary when talking to my peers in order to fit in better. He told me I shouldn't lower myself but rather encourage others to lift themselves. That advice really stuck with me over the years.

I'm not perfect. I never said I was. When I err I will admit it, atone for it, and pledge to redirect myself so it doesn't reoccur. The problem is that so many in this country (not just Pittsburgh) relish in mediocrity, inadequacy, and even blissful ignorance because it's the path of least resistance.

Wanting "yinzers" to use the ATM to withdraw $20 with their debit card so the person behind them waiting for a cashier's check (can't be done at an ATM) isn't "elitist". It improves societal efficiency.

Wanting "the gays" or "the UPMCers" to stop chain-smoking isn't "elitist". It improves their health; gives their loved ones more precious time to spend with them; improves their bank balance; and brings health care coverage costs down for everyone. It improves societal efficiency.

Wanting "the blacks in Homewood" to stop shooting each other and to instead turn the other cheek isn't "elitist". It will make middle-class blacks (and whites) want to move to places like Homewood to raise their families, thereby creating demand for more recreational amenities, businesses serving the neighborhood, better public schools, etc., improving the quality-of-life for those gun-toting thugs so they can see there is hope beyond the despair of gang turf warfare. That improves societal efficiency.

P.S. I'm aware the phrase itself "societal efficiency" sounds elitist. So be it. I've always strived for Utopia. I see no reason why we can't achieve that working together to solve tough and touchy problems instead of always passing the buck because the problems that need to be addressed would require hard work.

Quote:
Why do you live in, and purport to care so much about a place that you hate so much? I don't think you like it because of the topography, I assume you like it because of the people. But would you rather the place be filled with the type of people that you escaped from in NOVA? They're not "yinzers", so I wonder why you weren't happy there?
Who said I hate Pittsburgh? You're grossly paraphrasing and cherry-picking things to suit your personal argument against me.

I love Pittsburgh because:

a.) I can still afford to rent a no-frills 1-BR apartment within walking distance of day-to-day amenities in a neighborhood I don't have to fear being mugged in, albeit this perk is becoming harder to achieve with the rising rents.
b.) I've never before lived in a city with such distinctive neighborhoods with varied architecture, built environments, people, and topography.
c.) The four seasons of variable weather are exciting. As soon as you become sick of snow you know Spring is right around the corner. As soon as you tire of the 90s and humidity you know Autumn's arrival is nearly here.
d.) Career opportunities are plentiful here. Our unemployment rate is just over 5.0% and has been consistently been far below the state and national averages all during the recession and recovery.
e.) I see the city improving day by day, week by week. Places like Esplen or California-Kirkbride may not have much hope, but I even see potential in places like Sheraden or Brightwood whereas many others have already given up on them.
f.) You are a quick drive to great outdoor recreational opportunities for hiking, mountain biking, skiing, whitewater rafting, geocaching, etc.
g.) There's a great blend of old and new all over town. San Diego bleach-blond transplants who live in new construction lofts stroll by an old bottling plant with sagging bricks in the Strip District while weathered and worn natives who have lived here 70 years walk by the new construction lofts the first couple live within.

Quote:
I feel bad for people like you and BlackBeauty. You live your life putting other people down that are different from you, so that you can stand on them and think that you're elevated yourself. In reality, most folks see through that charade and see you guys for the bitter sad people that you are.
I feel bad for people like you who relish in mediocrity out of fear of ruffling feathers or tackling tough talking points in hopes of bringing about positive change in the community. You'd rather pretend everyone is harmonious; everyone is color-blind; everything is sunshine and puppies because it's easier to do so than to admit that the city's flaws need to be improved.

I personally feel as if Pittsburgh is an above-average city for quality-of-life. Why not strive to make that exceptional instead of following the herd and being too nervous about rocking the boat to make your voice heard?

Last edited by SteelCityRising; 09-04-2014 at 08:05 AM.. Reason: Accidentally Copied and Pasted Wrong Text Quotes

Old 09-04-2014, 07:38 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,595,436 times
That was way too long to read.

Old 09-04-2014, 07:46 AM

3,110 posts, read 2,917,912 times
And half of those quotes are attributed to me, and I didn't even say them....

Old 09-04-2014, 07:52 AM

1,035 posts, read 1,554,803 times
I'm one of those people who won't patronize a business if it's cash only. Sorry, that's me just being a free consumer. I never carry cash. I think it's more dangerous to carry physical cash. If my wallet is stolen or I lose it...that cash is GONE. If my cards are stolen, there's a record and I can potentially kill the cards before someone uses them. I also prefer to use my debit card versus paper cash because if my total is $20.13, I can pay the business $20.13, versus having to pay $40 and deal with loose change, etc. It's just personal preference. Clearly, there are people still willing to use cash since "cash only" businesses seem to do just fine. It's all in the individual consumer.

Old 09-04-2014, 07:56 AM

831 posts, read 878,923 times
Quote:
Just as I strive to keep my more outlandish gay peers in line
So it's your job to "keep folks in line"? Wow. Not really even sure what to say to that.

I suppose what I've learned (or better yet had reinforced) is that ignorance is not exclusive to the majority.

Quote:
It also says a lot about your ambivalence towards societal flaws if you don't see a need to encourage society to always try to be improving itself.
That right there is an example of your arrogance. Perhaps not everybody agrees with what your definition of improvement is? In some people's eyes, not support gay marriage and therapy to "turn gay folks back to straight" is a way to improve societal flaws?

Quote:
I feel bad for people like you who relish in mediocrity out of fear of ruffling feathers or tackling tough talking points in hopes of bringing about positive change in the community. You'd rather pretend everyone is harmonious; everyone is color-blind; everything is sunshine and puppies because it's easier to do so than to admit that the city's flaws need to be improved.
It's possible to be progressive while appreciating the idiosyncrasies that make Pittsburgh Pittsburgh. It's also possible to be progressive, and while not appreciating them, at least not disparaging them.

I'm not what you would consider a Yinzer. I embrace technology, work in technology, I don't do many of the things in your list and I don't have much of a Pittsburgh accent. But I appreciate that others do. I could move to Reston, VA and rid myself of those people...but to me they're just more colors on the palette that make my hometown something that I'm proud of (along with the medical advances, hi tech start-ups, history, etc.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh