Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2014, 07:42 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,260,125 times

Advertisements

Last week, I was behind a pickup truck at Highland and East Liberty Blvd, and saw some presumed southerners in the area.

3 men in a pickup, they had the Rebel Flag displayed on their pickup bed. Not just a standard size stars and bars, but an extra large one that looks like they expropriated off of a confederate post office.

You wouldn't have seen hayseeds and hicks out in East Lib 20 years ago, much less when I was a kid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2014, 07:50 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,614,858 times
The city has become increasingly diverse just since I moved here in 2010. I've only noticed an explosion in Asians and Asian-Americans (namely Chinese, Korean, and Indian), which is a GREAT thing for the city since those demographic groups tend to be the most educated overall, the most demanding of educational opportunities for their children, and their appearance signifies an improving quality-of-life in our city.

The number of African-Americans here seems to have remained flat since I moved here, which isn't surprising since Pittsburgh doesn't have the reputation of possessing a very large black upper-class to help attract more black talent here from other regions.

I've noticed a slight uptick in those of outwardly-visible Hispanic heritage, but I wish we had more.

It still seems like ~40% of Squirrel Hill is Jewish.

The LGBT community is probably the same in number as when I moved here, although I'm noticing more "bold" moves since 2010, such as hand-holding in public and more rainbow flags being waved.

Old 10-26-2014, 08:19 AM

9,340 posts, read 13,007,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
The city has become increasingly diverse just since I moved here in 2010. I've only noticed an explosion in Asians and Asian-Americans (namely Chinese, Korean, and Indian), which is a GREAT thing for the city since those demographic groups tend to be the most educated overall, the most demanding of educational opportunities for their children, and their appearance signifies an improving quality-of-life in our city.

The number of African-Americans here seems to have remained flat since I moved here, which isn't surprising since Pittsburgh doesn't have the reputation of possessing a very large black upper-class to help attract more black talent here from other regions.

I've noticed a slight uptick in those of outwardly-visible Hispanic heritage, but I wish we had more.

It still seems like ~40% of Squirrel Hill is Jewish.

The LGBT community is probably the same in number as when I moved here, although I'm noticing more "bold" moves since 2010, such as hand-holding in public and more rainbow flags being waved.
It is (and a stable 40% at that), and neighboring Point Breeze/Shadyside/North Oakland/Greenfield are ~15%. The Western half of Point Breeze may be close to 1/3.

As Jay can attest, the distinctive Jewish character of Stanton Heights/Highland Park/East a Liberty is now a historical footnote. There are at least two former synagogues on Negley alone.

Old 10-26-2014, 09:03 AM

1,860 posts, read 2,579,496 times
Likely from another twp or county and doing work in the area. Home Depot is right there. I HIGHLY doubt they live there.

Old 10-26-2014, 09:14 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,894,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
It is (and a stable 40% at that), and neighboring Point Breeze/Shadyside/North Oakland/Greenfield are ~15%. The Western half of Point Breeze may be close to 1/3.

As Jay can attest, the distinctive Jewish character of Stanton Heights/Highland Park/East Liberty is now a historical footnote. There are at least two former synagogues on Negley alone.
And Jay doth attest. Negley Avenue, on and off, from Mellon Terrace to Aylesboro Avenue, was once one of the Jewiest avenues in any city. Though Mrs. K is still listed, the M's, the R's, the other M's, and E's family are nowhere to be found.

Old 10-26-2014, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by selltheburgh View Post
Likely from another twp or county and doing work in the area. Home Depot is right there. I HIGHLY doubt they live there.
Maybe you're right and these guys were just visitors.

But then, the new residents from Bhutan snuck in under my radar, and I was just wondering if we'll start to see some country culture in these parts as well- redneck bars, restaurants serving grits, crawdads and baked possum and revival tents.

Old 10-26-2014, 10:29 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
But then, the new residents from Bhutan snuck in under my radar, and I was just wondering if we'll start to see some country culture in these parts as well- redneck bars, restaurants serving grits, crawdads and baked possum and revival tents.
You'll start seeing more of it if people here continue insisting the East End is the only place to live. Think of all the oil and gas workers coming to SWPA from many rural areas. I recall a few threads where people were recommending a couple live in the East End and commute to Canonsburg because they were in their 20s. Meanwhile, they very well could be into the everything rural lifestyle.

Old 10-26-2014, 10:38 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,544,279 times
Most of the immigrants don't live in the East End.

Old 10-26-2014, 10:42 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,030,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
Most of the immigrants don't live in the East End.
Depends on who you mean. If international students at Pitt and CMU count, then I'd say yes, most immigrants are in the East End

Old 10-26-2014, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Depends on who you mean. If international students at Pitt and CMU count, then I'd say yes, most immigrants are in the East End
International students aren't immigrants, but there are a fair number of Somali families that have relocated to the east, as well as numerous families from the old USSR that came mostly to Squirrel Hill in the 80's and 90's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh