Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2015, 06:06 PM

12,390 posts, read 7,097,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alastad View Post
eschaton, people consider Swissvale to be too far? Sorry, but those people are being way to picky in regards to closeness to the city. If you look at where it's located on a map on the Wikipedia page about it it's western edge borders the eastern edge of the city core.
It is strange that a suburb that literally borders the city could be considered too far out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2015, 06:07 PM

9,340 posts, read 13,007,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
It is strange that a suburb that literally borders the city could be considered too far out.
Bridge and tunnel mentality, 'n at, though in fairness, that's a very common mindset that doesn't really relate to size and sophistication (e.g., Manhattan).

Old 01-16-2015, 06:29 PM

395 posts, read 488,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
Amen to that

Old 01-16-2015, 06:48 PM

395 posts, read 488,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
Okay. The rent is cheaper in those cities because they have less to offer. Cleveland is on its way back, but it's still behind Pittsburgh's train on the urban revitalization tracks. In addition, Cleveland has much fewer desirable city neighborhoods, but significantly more desirable suburbs, so apples-to-apples neighborhood comparisons would be much more helpful than aggregate statistics. Buffalo has theoretical potential, but I don't see it getting its ducks in a row anytime soon. As for Louisville, I've never been, but I believe my friend's fiancee, who's a native, when he says it's sprawled out and has fairly little to offer, though there are certainly far worse places to live, and I'm sure it has its charms and upsides, like every city.

How's that?
Cleveland, from what I understand, has everything Pittsburgh has to offer. We both have trendy clothing stores like AE, Gap, Areopostale, Hollister, Banana Republic, J Crew, Buckle, Abercrombie & Fitch, etch. etch., and we both have Starbucks and I'm sure Cleveland has to have some nice ethnic restaurants like Pittsburgh has like Casbah, Legume, etch. etch., I find it hard to believe they don't. Now Buffalo, OK, they probably don't have a Banana Republic or J crew but I'm sure they at least have an AE or Hollister or Buckle and probably a Starbucks and at least a few ethnic restaurants. Louisville same as Buffalo I'd imagine. As far as Cleveland not having as many nice neighborhoods, yeah, I could believe that, I suppose.

Old 01-16-2015, 07:18 PM

2,218 posts, read 1,945,508 times
Quote:
Cleveland, from what I understand, has everything Pittsburgh has to offer. We both have trendy clothing stores like AE, Gap, Areopostale, Hollister, Banana Republic, J Crew, Buckle, Abercrombie & Fitch, etch. etch., and we both have Starbucks and I'm sure Cleveland has to have some nice ethnic restaurants like Pittsburgh has like Casbah, Legume, etch. etch., I find it hard to believe they don't. Now Buffalo, OK, they probably don't have a Banana Republic or J crew but I'm sure they at least have an AE or Hollister or Buckle and probably a Starbucks and at least a few ethnic restaurants. Louisville same as Buffalo I'd imagine. As far as Cleveland not having as many nice neighborhoods, yeah, I could believe that, I suppose.
I've been quite impressed by Cleveland the last several times I've been there. I like a lot of vintage crap, and that city puts the Burgh to shame when it comes to that scene. I've had several good meals; enjoyed trips to the contemporary and classical art museums; visited some offbeat tourist attractions (the Cleveland Police Museum and the Museum of Divine Statues); got coffee at several Starbucks; and walked around many parts of the city, appreciating the diverse architecture and taking photographs. I don't care about sports, but I could have seen an NBA contest, a ML baseball game, or the NFL. I also didn't partake in any of the nightlife... but more bands still come through there (partially b/c of a prohibitive entertainment tax in the Burgh), and there are several microbreweries to go along with upscale and trendy lounges that seem to be making a resurgence with the older, more sophisticated consumer. Cleveland is coming along just fine.

Old 01-16-2015, 07:22 PM

9,340 posts, read 13,007,749 times
Quote:
I didn't say Cleveland has nothing to offer. I said it doesn't offer as much.

Old 01-16-2015, 09:34 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,030,476 times
Quote:
eschaton, people consider Swissvale to be too far? Sorry, but those people are being way to picky in regards to closeness to the city. If you look at where it's located on a map on the Wikipedia page about it it's western edge borders the eastern edge of the city core.
It's not so much that it's too far, as it is that other areas are closer.

Gentrification based around transit lines tends to proceed out from station to station away from the core. Right now we're seeing almost all the development around East Liberty Station on the EBT. I grant that Homewood Station will probably be skipped over in the shorter run in favor of Wilkinsburg. But I don't see it skipping all the way down the line to Swissvale when better options exist in Wilkinsburg - not until Wilkinsburg is gentrified, which could take decades yet to finish.

More specific to the area, Swissvale does border the city in two chunks. The Regent Square portion is already gentrified. The other segment which borders the city is adjacent to Swisshelm Park, which, while a stable middle-class neighborhood, is really isolated and off the beaten path in terms of the East End. As in, there is only one road connection between it and the rest of the City, which essentially passes through Frick Park along the way. As a result, Swisshelm Park is really forgotten - maybe more so than anywhere else in the East End. Functionally speaking, it's more linked to Swissvale than Swissvale is to the city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merge View Post
I've been quite impressed by Cleveland the last several times I've been there. I like a lot of vintage crap, and that city puts the Burgh to shame when it comes to that scene. I've had several good meals; enjoyed trips to the contemporary and classical art museums; visited some offbeat tourist attractions (the Cleveland Police Museum and the Museum of Divine Statues); got coffee at several Starbucks; and walked around many parts of the city, appreciating the diverse architecture and taking photographs. I don't care about sports, but I could have seen an NBA contest, a ML baseball game, or the NFL. I also didn't partake in any of the nightlife... but more bands still come through there (partially b/c of a prohibitive entertainment tax in the Burgh), and there are several microbreweries to go along with upscale and trendy lounges that seem to be making a resurgence with the older, more sophisticated consumer. Cleveland is coming along just fine.
Cleveland has three big positives over Pittsburgh:

1. Downtown has more dining/nightlife (but conversely, there is nearly no nightlife in other city neighborhoods, besides a smattering of stuff in Ohio City,Tremont, and University Circle).

2. There's a much better rail system (although transit is used less than Pittsburgh overall).

3. There's a more notable black middle class. Even in trendy upscale restaurants you'll always see a lot of black (and mixed-race) couples. You just don't see that as much in Pittsburgh for some reason.

In every other way, I think Pittsburgh's ahead. Better architecture. Less urban blight. More stable middle-class neighborhoods in the city proper. Higher levels of employment downtown. Etc.

Old 01-17-2015, 07:25 AM

3,110 posts, read 2,917,912 times
My two cents (maybe three cents)...

1. I have friends that left Swissvale and moved to South Side, because Swissvale was too far out. Any use of the Parkway East in the afternoon, even exiting before the tunnels, they found to be a miserable experience. Also, they could not walk to anything of value to them.

2. The use of the word trendy to describe stores such as Aeropostale, Gap, and Hollister almost made me spit out my coffee. Are there cities in America that do not have those stores? I wouldn’t even consider any of that when looking at a city, since I just assume they are everywhere.

I think it really depends on the person and the person’s lifestyle if they would feel that area is too far out of the city. For the past 6 years, I have either walked to work or caught a bus a block from my front door. I drive once or twice week. I literally cannot imagine moving to an area that would require me to drive on a daily basis, and it really is not a thought I would even entertain.

Old 01-17-2015, 08:03 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
My two cents (maybe three cents)...
2. The use of the word trendy to describe stores such as Aeropostale, Gap, and Hollister almost made me spit out my coffee. Are there cities in America that do not have those stores? I wouldn’t even consider any of that when looking at a city, since I just assume they are everywhere.
Ditto!

Also AE, Banana Republic, J Crew, Buckle, Abercrombie & Fitch and Starbucks.

Old 01-17-2015, 08:07 AM

664 posts, read 807,299 times
Quote:
National chain retail stores are now considered assets?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh