Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2015, 08:21 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,260,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by doo dah View Post
Oh, you are right. I looked at the corner and thought Revco. But I don't remember if that one was actually a Revco.
Did we have Rexall? I was amused to see Rexall products in my local Dollar General yesterday.

I think I remember Hite's Drug Store was affiliated with Rexall. Hite's was located on Wood St & 4th Ave in town, and at Western & Galveston on the North Side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2015, 08:32 AM

6,358 posts, read 5,055,067 times
Downtown was always, as I remember it - dirty, and dusty, grimy....up until the 2000s. Those pictures are just amazing, though. I wish there more from the residential communities.

East Liberty was amazing - it was like Downtown, but new, and clean.

What was 13Q's programming like?

I remember a bingo-type game for some station. When they would play a song, you would mark off that band on your 'bingo' card if it appeared there. Was that KQV, too? Why do I think it may have been KDKA, but I'm going way back to some of my youngest memories, so maybe those Flintstones vitamins that I ate like candy messed up my brain and this 'bingo' game just did not happen.

Old 01-20-2015, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post

What was 13Q's programming like?
Lots of ads for pimple cream, just like on KQV.

13Q, and Jackson Armstrong, were very popular and put an end to KQV's hegemony in the world of Top 40 forever.

KQV fired Rush Limbaugh who broadcast opposite Armstrong and switched to all-news.

Limbaugh went back home, came up with a new programming idea, and the rest is history. If it wasn't for 13Q, Rush would still be spinning records and selling pimple cream and he would have never had the motivation to devise his current format.

Old 01-20-2015, 08:42 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,894,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
KQV fired Rush Limbaugh who broadcast opposite Armstrong and switched to all-news.

Limbaugh went back home, came up with a new programming idea, and the rest is history. If it wasn't for 13Q, Rush would still be spinning records and selling pimple cream and he would have never had the motivation to devise his current format.
Was he "Jeff Christie" then? Is that his real name, btw?

Old 01-20-2015, 08:45 AM

3,733 posts, read 5,966,964 times
He went by Jeff Christy, but I don't know if that was his real name.

My brother and I kept answering our phone with "I listen to the new sound of 13Q" until our parents put a stop to it.

Old 01-20-2015, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
Was he "Jeff Christie" then? Is that his real name, btw?
Limbaugh is his real name, the federal court house in his home town of Cape Girardeau is the Rush Limbaugh Federal Court House. (named after his gramps)

Old 01-20-2015, 09:38 AM

4,362 posts, read 6,532,538 times
Well in 1975 kids still played outside. Yep I know, unheard of.

The Housing Projects still existed, much of that has been since raised.

The Pens were awful and a sell out was NOT the norm. The Buccos were still up there with the Steelers in popularity and we know that this is where that would turn forever.

Old 01-20-2015, 11:25 AM

2,269 posts, read 3,801,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slamont61 View Post
Well in 1975 kids still played outside. Yep I know, unheard of.

The Housing Projects still existed, much of that has been since raised.

The Pens were awful and a sell out was NOT the norm. The Buccos were still up there with the Steelers in popularity and we know that this is where that would turn forever.
The Pens were excellent in 1975. That was the year that they blew the 3-0 lead to the Islanders in the quarterfinals. They lost 1-0 in game 7, on a late goal by Ed Westfall. Pierre Larouche was the young star of the team. The owners were cash strapped, and badly needed for the team to reach the conference finals. When they didn't, the team went bankrupt. The Islanders went on to face the defending champion Flyers. They again fell behind 3-0, and roared back to force a game 7. The Flyers were so nervous that they flew in Kate Smith to sing God Bless America live before the game, which the Flyers won, on their way to their second (and last to this point) Stanley Cup. That Islanders team had Denis Potvin, Brian Trottier, Billy Smith, and several other young players who would win 4 Cups in a row, but had to wait, as Montreal exploded with one of the greatest teams ever, blocking the Islanders as they themselves won 4 straight Cups, before the Isles finally broke through.

Old 01-20-2015, 11:35 AM

6,358 posts, read 5,055,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
...Limbaugh went back home, came up with a new programming idea, and the rest is history. If it wasn't for 13Q, Rush would...have never had the motivation to devise his current format of evil, irrational, divisiveness.
Fixed!

I think kids still do play outside, but its always a family outing, it seems. The parents always are there. It's weird - did you want your parents at the playground?

I think kids play with other kids, without adult presence, in some neighborhoods.

Old 01-20-2015, 12:26 PM

14 posts, read 25,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doo dah View Post
That building wasn't there back then. Was built sometime in the 1980s?
Thanks

Just checking
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh