Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2015, 08:28 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
The amount of times I need to blare my horn at pedestrians who illegally walk across Sixth Avenue or Seventh Avenue when I'm trying to turn left from Grant with a dedicated left-hand turn arrow is mind-boggling.
I think you need to realize it isn't "entitled", it is moronic. I really feel people are just getting dumber and dumber. I believe it mostly started with the invention of the Internet and social media. People are focused on every negative happening that is going on in the USA with its 300,000,000++ people and they lost themselves in the media hype that is promoting shock value to sell advertising. I don't believe most people can cope with this new news feed and it makes people dumb and they completely lose common sense. I can't believe what I see pedestrians do these days in comparison to just 15 or so years ago. They just seem to be walking cluelessly. Society as a whole are just getting dumber, so we just have to get used to it. I don't believe the people you are referring to are just walking around "entitled", they are walking around as dumbed down as our government/top 1% seems to want us to be. Salivating over a screen that feeds us garbage. Garbage in, garbage out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2015, 08:29 AM

831 posts, read 878,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
I have no idea if this particular plan will work in this place or not, but it really is amazing how if even small areas are set up to make it so that drivers have to pay more attention to people getting around by other means, it's a huge threat to some people.

And what percentage of drivers who break the law get a ticket for not yielding in a cross walk? I see it done every day and I've never seen a ticket given even if the police are right there.
Yep, right on cue. Rather than look at and address the actual issue discussed in the article of pedestrians and bicyclists routinely ignoring traffic laws, let's ignore that and obfuscate to shift all attention and blame back to the evil car drivers. Well done.

Old 06-24-2015, 08:32 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,879,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
I agree laws should be enforced for all. I think police need to be able to nab speeding cars with radar as well. The selfish people speeding around in their cars are very dangerous considering they are driving a weapon of mass destruction on all levels.
I'm convinced the only thing you can get pulled over & cited for when driving downtown is driving in the bus lane.

Run a red light, eh; blow through cross walks, whatever; speed, meh; throw your four ways on & park in traffic, why not; but don't you dare set one tire on that bus lane or were on you in a second.

Old 06-24-2015, 08:36 AM

14,352 posts, read 17,012,289 times
Moralizing about who is at fault here is silly. Human beings are not perfectly rational. Most of the time that we're traveling (whether driving, riding a bike, or walking) many are somewhat distracted and not paying attention to everything which is around us. This is particularly true if we are traveling along a well-worn path for ourselves, like a work commute. Good street planning takes this into account, creating unconscious cues which make us more vigilant, rather than just concluding that it's up to us to buck up and pay attention.

In the end the models of traffic flow where all forms are segregated have been a failure, insofar as there is still congestion for drivers, and still pedestrian accidents/fatalities. If another system is possible which reduces injuries/deaths, and apparently doesn't actually slow down traffic, why not try it?

Old 06-24-2015, 08:36 AM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by tclifton View Post
Yep, right on cue. Rather than look at and address the actual issue discussed in the article of pedestrians and bicyclists routinely ignoring traffic laws, let's ignore that and obfuscate to shift all attention and blame back to the evil car drivers. Well done.
Every single day is see countless car drivers selfishly going way over the speed limit with their weapon of mass destruction. Driving a car is a privilege, not a right. Speeding cars KILL others. How many pedestrians killed someone by walking too fast? How many cyclists in Pittsburgh killed someone by cycling like a moron? NONE! Lets keep things in perspective shall we. For the record, I honk my horn and try and educate the idiot pedestrians out there doing dumb things, but I don't think they will ever get it. They are really just too dumb.

Old 06-24-2015, 08:39 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times
I'm personally in favor of more pedestrian streets.

What a lot of European cities do is just allow a certain main street to be all pedestrian - filled with musicians, entertainers, etc. The other streets can have cars, and whatever else. But, having one pedestrian street is really key to a lot of vibrancy.

Old 06-24-2015, 08:40 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,588,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tclifton View Post
I don't think pedestrians and bicyclists routinely ignore traffic laws to any greater extent than drivers. Do you have a citation for your repeated assertion otherwise? And I think we should worry more about enforcing the law on people who are controlling the larger, more damaging vehicles. It isn't obfuscation, but actual relevant argument in support of the idea that automobile traffic in current patterns shouldn't be assumed as given.

The closest I've ever come to dying was legally crossing Fifth Ave with the light at Halkett. I've seen that light run so many times that I'm glad my office got moved so that I don't have to cross it anymore. Certainly there are pedestrians who do dangerous things, but it is absurd to think that if pedestrians were obeying the laws, they would somehow be safe. Lots of citations for that point.

Drivers Are at Fault in Most Pedestrian Deaths, Study Reports - NYTimes.com

Also, you should really read eschaton's links as they are very informative. Especially the one marked "Relevant".

Old 06-24-2015, 08:41 AM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
I'm convinced the only thing you can get pulled over & cited for when driving downtown is driving in the bus lane.

Run a red light, eh; blow through cross walks, whatever; speed, meh; throw your four ways on & park in traffic, why not; but don't you dare set one tire on that bus lane or were on you in a second.
I agree. Maybe reckless driving if someone is really doing wild things with their vehicle, but for the most part no one cares.

Old 06-24-2015, 08:42 AM

2,401 posts, read 2,100,231 times
Town is already chaos with or without cyclists. I've lost track of how many times I've nearly been killed by somebody running a light or turning where they weren't supposed to. Don't get me started on PAT.

Old 06-24-2015, 08:50 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,879,034 times
A good example: http://www.rbkc.gov.uk/PDF/Exhibitio...monitoring.pdf

Though I think the area proposed in the PG article is a terrible idea for such a plan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh