Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2015, 01:06 PM

2,401 posts, read 2,100,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by doo dah View Post
Just another suburban elitist. He will pull out the "all the money I spend in the city" banner shortly.
He already did, like clockwork. Like saying, "Goldang cyclist gettin in my way when all I want to do is get to Cheerleaders! Kill em all!" haha!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2015, 01:10 PM

831 posts, read 878,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcider View Post
He already did, like clockwork. Like saying, "Goldang cyclist gettin in my way when all I want to do is get to Cheerleaders! Kill em all!" haha!
I did? Can you point me to the forum that you're reading so I can see too?

Old 06-24-2015, 01:14 PM

2,401 posts, read 2,100,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tclifton View Post
I did? Can you point me to the forum that you're reading so I can see too?
Right here man, remember, you aren't that good at covering your butt regarding quotes. Your keyboard writes checks your brain can't cash:

"I regularly attend events in the city."

Old 06-24-2015, 01:16 PM

35 posts, read 34,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Eh. You need to remember that we live in a city where people feel "entitled" to jaywalk and that drivers need to watch out for THEM. The amount of times I need to blare my horn at pedestrians who illegally walk across Sixth Avenue or Seventh Avenue when I'm trying to turn left from Grant with a dedicated left-hand turn arrow is mind-boggling. I routinely receive all sorts of "bitter beer faces" when I dare not stop to wave jaywalkers across Murray Avenue in Squirrel Hill (never mind the fact that there are marked crosswalks everywhere they could be using on that street).

I jaywalk too, of course, but I would NEVER enter a street without first making sure I wouldn't be inconveniencing an oncoming vehicle or cyclist in doing so. The amount of people who "beach" themselves in the middle of Murray Avenue because the lane closest to them was clear, and then expect YOU to stop so they won't be in the way, is aggravating.

Couple this with the several shouting matches I've had in the last year with drivers honking at me for refusing to turn onto a side street until pedestrians (with the right-of-way) in my path had cleared, and I'm learning people here just have no clue about how to walk, bike, OR drive.
I'm coming in late here, but I think a lot of people misunderstand what jaywalking is. Walking in a straight line from one side of the street to the other, even outside of the crosswalk, is perfectly legal. You just have to walk in a straight line and make sure there are no cars coming. That being said crosswalks are much safer, especially when people actually stop.

Old 06-24-2015, 01:21 PM

831 posts, read 878,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcider View Post
Right here man, remember, you aren't that good at covering your butt regarding quotes. Your keyboard writes checks your brain can't cash:

"I regularly attend events in the city."
Ahhh, you mean when someone asked how often I went downtown?

Yeah, shame on me for answering that question.

That totally invalidates everything I've said.

Old 06-24-2015, 02:19 PM

1,106 posts, read 1,163,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJFathead View Post
I'm coming in late here, but I think a lot of people misunderstand what jaywalking is. Walking in a straight line from one side of the street to the other, even outside of the crosswalk, is perfectly legal. You just have to walk in a straight line and make sure there are no cars coming. That being said crosswalks are much safer, especially when people actually stop.
What are you talking about? Jaywalking refers to crossing where it is not legal, i.e., outside of an intersection or crosswalk.
I should know, I got a ticket for it in Santa Monica many years ago.

Old 06-24-2015, 02:24 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,588,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charisb View Post
What are you talking about? Jaywalking refers to crossing where it is not legal, i.e., outside of an intersection or crosswalk.
I should know, I got a ticket for it in Santa Monica many years ago.
We're not in California. You can tell because of all the water. Looking at slide 12 of the link, I think NJFathead is right. Thank you NJFathead.

http://www.dvrpc.org/transportation/...di_PennDOT.pdf

Old 06-24-2015, 02:28 PM

2,458 posts, read 4,202,032 times
Quote:
Requiring bikes to fully stop at a stop sign is akin to requiring cars to shift
to park at a stop sign.

When driving a fully loaded dump truck, I sit in an elevated position relative to either cars, bikes, or pedestrians, and thus have a superior view of potential hazards, but I have to shift gears five times to go from 0 to 15 mph. I find that terribly inconvenient and time consuming. I should be entitled to ignore stop signs....

Old 06-24-2015, 02:42 PM

1,106 posts, read 1,163,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
We're not in California. You can tell because of all the water. Looking at slide 12 of the link, I think NJFathead is right. Thank you NJFathead.

http://www.dvrpc.org/transportation/...di_PennDOT.pdf
I am not seeing what you are seeing in this document. It says 'Must use the descriptions of pedestrian violations (walking against signals or outside crosswalks) to determine “jaywalking” in Pennsylvania'. What does that have to do with walking in a straight line?
I don't think the definition varies by state, although the likelihood of getting a ticket certainly does.

Old 06-24-2015, 02:48 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,588,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charisb View Post
It says 'Must use the descriptions of pedestrian violations (walking against signals or outside crosswalks) to determine “jaywalking” in Pennsylvania'. What does that have to do with walking in a straight line?
Slide 11 says that. Slide 12 says that a pedestrian has to yield to traffic when not crossing between intersections. Slide 13 says you can't cross the intersection diagonally. Maybe you can cross that way in the middle of the block?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh