Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2015, 01:57 PM

2,109 posts, read 2,159,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Pittsburgh definitely needs another fair-trade gluten-free vegan fro-yo place opened by people who "get it" and are "just a little bit more ahead of the curve". I don't think rents are rising quickly enough yet for us to become the next San Francisco or Seattle.
Not to be a jerk, but I would contend that there aren't enough vegan/vegetarian choices in town. Eden is only open for dinner and on weekends for brunch, other options are more or less limited to restaurants that have options on their menu, but they are not necessarily serving primarily healthy food options. You can't, on one hand, complain about overweight cigarette smoking yinzers and on the other hand categorize places that you deem to be smug as bad additions to the fold.

I'm not sure why one would think we shouldn't have healthy options available, if there is demand. Despite living in the heart of the east end, I find it pretty challenging to decide where to go when I'm in the mood for a good salad and want to sit down somewhere other than Whole Foods.

That said, I agree with the suggestion that a good Italian joint should go where Del's is at. Personally, I'd rather see a coastal Mediterranean style place than a heavy red sauce spot, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2015, 02:07 PM

1,776 posts, read 2,697,386 times
^ Seconded. For a large US city, Pittsburgh has the least available healthy food options I've seen.

Old 09-16-2015, 02:23 PM

1,653 posts, read 1,585,625 times
Salads at point/park brugges are good, but I don't understand how a frozen yogurt is any more pretentiously hip than a $12 peppercorn encrusted hormone free burger and a chocolate vodka shake either.

Old 09-16-2015, 02:32 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,890,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sealie View Post
I don't understand how a frozen yogurt is any more pretentiously hip than a $12 peppercorn encrusted hormone free burger and a chocolate vodka shake.
If you're SCR, "fro-yo" is somehow the quintessence of yuppiedom. Who can say why. It might as well be Brillo Pads. Or umbrellas.

Old 09-16-2015, 02:41 PM

1,106 posts, read 1,163,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
If you're SCR, "fro-yo" is somehow the quintessence of yuppiedom. Who can say why. It might as well be Brillo Pads. Or umbrellas.
I love frozen yogurt. I think it is great that the places have popped up that allow you to take as much as you want. If that makes me a yuppie, so be it.
And more veggie/vegan places would be great.

Old 09-16-2015, 02:42 PM

1,653 posts, read 1,585,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
The original yuppies, from the Wall Street movie, maybe. It was all the rage in the 1980s. They're not even what I'd call ubiquitous in the east end though. I could probably recite more Ritas locations than Pinkberry.

Old 09-16-2015, 02:45 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,890,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charisb View Post
I love frozen yogurt. I think it is great that the places have popped up that allow you to take as much as you want. If that makes me a yuppie, so be it.
And more veggie/vegan places would be great.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sealie View Post
The original yuppies, from the Wall Street movie, maybe. It was all the rage in the 1980s. They're not even what I'd call ubiquitous in the east end though. I could probably recite more Ritas locations than Pinkberry.
I first ate frozen yogurt in the 1970s in New York. Hardly trendy. Or yuppie.

Last edited by jay5835; 09-16-2015 at 02:53 PM..

Old 09-16-2015, 04:28 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,880,844 times
I don't know where to procure any around here, but would gelato be more yuppie-esque?
It would at least fit 'little Italy' better

Old 09-16-2015, 04:29 PM

1,139 posts, read 2,496,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Pittsburgh definitely needs another fair-trade gluten-free vegan fro-yo place opened by people who "get it" and are "just a little bit more ahead of the curve". I don't think rents are rising quickly enough yet for us to become the next San Francisco or Seattle.
If you're serious, hop on the T and try Piccadilly in Mt. Lebanon. I've never been there but I have heard good things... Piccadilly Artisan Yogurt | Organic Yogurt Just Tastes Better

Old 09-16-2015, 04:37 PM

189 posts, read 166,118 times
Piccadilly is delicious and fun, lots of unique flavors and different toppings. But be warned, it can get expensive quickly.

And like others above, I agree this area (and specifically the South Hills) could do with more healthy/ vegan/vegetarian options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh