Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2015, 12:51 PM

3,110 posts, read 2,919,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
Chicken Marsala is a Pgh thing?

Not just a Pgh thing, but standard fare at say weddings and "eye-talian" restaurants.

I am not against those foods if people like them, but an expanding food scene does not mean the death of local history....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2015, 12:54 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,899,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
Not just a Pgh thing, but standard fare at say weddings and "eye-talian" restaurants.

I am not against those foods if people like them, but an expanding food scene does not mean the death of local history....
You would love the Vetri Family of restaurants. Do you ever get to Philadelphia? We've tried Lo Spiedo and Amis so far, and the chicken at Lo Spiedo was probably the best I've ever eaten.

Home - Vetri Family

Old 09-17-2015, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
You would love the Vetri Family of restaurants. Do you ever get to Philadelphia? We've tried Lo Spiedo and Amis so far, and the chicken at Lo Spiedo was probably the best I've ever eaten.

Home - Vetri Family

I do get to Philly a few times a year, but haven't tried out any of these places yet....adding them to my list...thank you!

Old 09-17-2015, 01:15 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,640,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamieRose View Post
Well, it depends on your definition of "good" as well. We made a conscious choice to spend more on ethically and humanely raised meat, wild caught fish and organic/no spray produce. We eat very little processed food. It is not cheap or easy to eat this way, but it is our choice.

And while I understand that others do not choose to do similarly for a myriad of reasons, I am puzzled that most people don't opt for the cheapest house, clothes, cars or other goods, but believe that food should be cheap.
You do realize that not everyone in Pittsburgh is earning a high enough salary to demand the best and only the best, correct? I'm taking on a second job starting next week with a company based in San Francisco to keep pace with the rapidly rising cost-of-living here.

Old 09-17-2015, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
You do realize that not everyone in Pittsburgh is earning a high enough salary to demand the best and only the best, correct? I'm taking on a second job starting next week with a company based in San Francisco to keep pace with the rapidly rising cost-of-living here.
I believe they do realize that. However, what they were wondering about are those who place a higher priority on say, housing or clothing, than they do on food quality. Some people are more concerned about what they put on their bodies than they are with what they put in their bodies.

Old 09-17-2015, 02:19 PM

189 posts, read 166,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
I believe they do realize that. However, what they were wondering about are those who place a higher priority on say, housing or clothing, than they do on food quality. Some people are more concerned about what they put on their bodies than they are with what they put in their bodies.
Thank you PghYinzer, that is exactly what I meant.

And would add that they have no concern for/or understanding of the immediate (abuse of animals) and long term (economic and environmental) costs of cheap food.

Old 09-17-2015, 07:55 PM

419 posts, read 446,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
It just seems like with the addition of every establishment that focuses on the words "artisinal"; "farm-to-table"; "vegan"; "fair-trade"; "organic"; "gluten-free"; etc. our median rent shoots up. This is fine for those of you on here who have great-paying jobs with perks and annual compensation increases. What about the rest of us? I'm about to take on a second job, actually, so I'll be working 70 hours per week to afford the rising cost-of-living here.

Homes on my block are going for crazy amounts now. This ugly as sin place is listed for $369,900, and other "ugly flip" homes in the neighborhood are going for ~$250,000. I could do with less "Seattlization" of Pittsburgh, thank you very much.

http://www.northwood.com/Real_Estate...571-1-1077319/
Sorry SCR. You seem like a hard worker and I enjoy your posts, but if you can't hang with the big boys of the East End, it looks like you'll be banished across the river to Millvale, Etna or Sharpsburg. I know you aspire to own your own place someday. Now is the time to buy in those areas because in another five or ten years, they will be like the Lawrenceville or Polish Hill. Those of you who don't make six figures need not apply in the East End.

Old 09-17-2015, 08:21 PM

778 posts, read 840,660 times
City Has Some More And Some Less Expensive Areas: Pictures at 11!

With not even all of the East End gentrified (hot damn, I wish my hood would! I'd love to have people beating down my door to buy my house!) we've got a long way to go before we're Seattle.

Old 09-17-2015, 08:34 PM

2,768 posts, read 1,584,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sealie View Post
...yupscale...
Did you just coin a new word?

Old 09-18-2015, 08:41 AM

1,653 posts, read 1,586,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmonburgher View Post
Did you just coin a new word?
I probably wasn't the first. I do think 360k is a bit silly for that house, there's a nicer one at 1026 Herron for 275 that actually has interior pics. Must be a fancy flip job for 360.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh