Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2016, 10:08 AM

41,016 posts, read 18,213,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Unfortunately, as the comments on social media indicate, there are also many Pittsburghers who think anyone who doesn't get out of the closed lane two miles early, like they did, are "cutting everyone", so when people in that closed lane get to the merge point instead of taking turns the people who have been stupidly waiting in the two-mile-long traffic jam gun it to prevent anyone from the closed lane from merging in, causing even more gridlock.

As someone who walks back and forth for my commute I'll never understand why so many people choose to live in Cranberry Township, Murrysville, Peters Township, etc. if they are ALSO impatient drivers. I'm an aggressive/impatient driver, so driving my car now for an average of five miles per week is refreshing. If your exurban commute is so long and stressful that you're going to screw up a proper zipper merge, then do us all a favor and find a job in Murrysville or move closer to the city!
How do you know where these "aggressive drivers" are commuting from?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2016, 11:08 AM

7,420 posts, read 2,710,487 times
SCR I have to laugh, yet again. Your numerous questions or statements in your posts, (judgments?) as to not understanding something or other remind me of many young adults who have yet to travel a lot of life and face the trade offs and changing priorities that come with being an "experienced liver" ( as Dick LeBeau/former Steelers DC called maturity);my own now middle-aged children included.

In fact, frequently when I read your posts, I am reminded of the State Farm commercial titled "For All The Nevers In Life". You should google it sometime, if you have not seen it. The premise is this dude repetitively stating he will never grow up or become one of those despicable homeowners in the uncool suburbs, among other "issues". Following every proclamation he is shown doing that thing which he previously vowed not to do.

Reading your precious posts often remind me of old wise sayings such as: Never say Never; Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes; and, life is a choice. ETC, ETC ETC.

Last edited by corpgypsy; 09-24-2016 at 11:27 AM..

Old 09-24-2016, 11:09 AM

41,016 posts, read 18,213,684 times
^^^^^Bingo.

In relation to commercials, Burger King and "wanting it your way" always comes to mind.

Old 09-26-2016, 07:00 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,549,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corpgypsy View Post
SCR I have to laugh, yet again. Your numerous questions or statements in your posts, (judgments?) as to not understanding something or other remind me of many young adults who have yet to travel a lot of life and face the trade offs and changing priorities that come with being an "experienced liver" ( as Dick LeBeau/former Steelers DC called maturity);my own now middle-aged children included.

In fact, frequently when I read your posts, I am reminded of the State Farm commercial titled "For All The Nevers In Life". You should google it sometime, if you have not seen it. The premise is this dude repetitively stating he will never grow up or become one of those despicable homeowners in the uncool suburbs, among other "issues". Following every proclamation he is shown doing that thing which he previously vowed not to do.

Reading your precious posts often remind me of old wise sayings such as: Never say Never; Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes; and, life is a choice. ETC, ETC ETC.
Can't rep ya, so I'll give my highest Great White North tribute:

Old 09-26-2016, 07:13 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,156,239 times
Quote:

At the end of those State Farm commercials he says that he "will never let go" when holding his daughters. Does mean he's going to run off and never be seen again then?

Old 09-30-2016, 08:53 AM

55 posts, read 66,443 times
Everyone has their opinion and here is mine. I've been driving in Pittsburgh for past 30 years and there are two main reasons for the overly aggressive and angry behavior in recent years is simple...

1. Smart phone and instant access to info is affecting people ability to behave responsibly, this is been proven is studies. The increased amount of multi-tasking is toxic to your brain and affect your behavior. People act much more neurotic, knee-jerk, and impatient. Its a trained conditioning for now now now. They are only focused on their needs and getting to their location asap. They will cut you off, tailgate you, flip you off, erratic lane change, endanger others, all to get to the same red light, ridiculous. That is because they are acting on emotion and ego, they are not functioning from a higher responsible self.

2. There is no accountability, so they feel they can get away with it and they do. On 279N and R65N and 376E are perfect examples. If you went back in time to 1985 or 1995 or 2005 you would see the majority of people driving 5 mph over the speed limit and evenly spaced apart all flowing together in harmony, with only an occasional moron. That is because there were patrol cars in those areas and accountability. Now you have the responsible drivers doing 10 to 20 mph over the speed limit and an equal amount of irresponsible drivers doing 30+ mph over the speed limit darting in and out of lanes and tailgating because 20 mph over the speed limit isn't fast enough for them. It is a fact the Police no longer have the manpower for traffic enforcement on the highways close to the city, so its a free-for-all. No harmony + no accountability = chaos.

Old 10-07-2016, 08:44 AM

436 posts, read 343,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thGenerationPGH View Post
Everyone has their opinion and here is mine. I've been driving in Pittsburgh for past 30 years and there are two main reasons for the overly aggressive and angry behavior in recent years is simple...

1. Smart phone and instant access to info is affecting people ability to behave responsibly, this is been proven is studies. The increased amount of multi-tasking is toxic to your brain and affect your behavior. People act much more neurotic, knee-jerk, and impatient. Its a trained conditioning for now now now. They are only focused on their needs and getting to their location asap. They will cut you off, tailgate you, flip you off, erratic lane change, endanger others, all to get to the same red light, ridiculous. That is because they are acting on emotion and ego, they are not functioning from a higher responsible self.

2. There is no accountability, so they feel they can get away with it and they do. On 279N and R65N and 376E are perfect examples. If you went back in time to 1985 or 1995 or 2005 you would see the majority of people driving 5 mph over the speed limit and evenly spaced apart all flowing together in harmony, with only an occasional moron. That is because there were patrol cars in those areas and accountability. Now you have the responsible drivers doing 10 to 20 mph over the speed limit and an equal amount of irresponsible drivers doing 30+ mph over the speed limit darting in and out of lanes and tailgating because 20 mph over the speed limit isn't fast enough for them. It is a fact the Police no longer have the manpower for traffic enforcement on the highways close to the city, so its a free-for-all. No harmony + no accountability = chaos.

I agree with the lack of enforcement, but I wish I could drive with these drivers you mention going anywhere from 10-30 mph over the speed limit. Anymore, my commutes from Point Breeze to Summit Park Drive (outer edge of Robinson) are near stoppage to complete stoppages at Settlers Ridge, I-79 Interchange, Carnegie area, Banksville Road onramp, etc. No accidents, no members of law enforcement forcing anyone to come to a stop, no construction, no reason for anyone to be slowing from 20mph to a complete stoppage. Another thing I just witnessed this morning that happens often; I witnessed a semi going faster in the middle lane than passenger car traffic in the left lane. It should be the other way around. I invite anyone who thinks anyone is driving too fast in our region to spend a week commuting with me.

Old 10-07-2016, 08:49 AM

436 posts, read 343,347 times
Default Why have Pittsburgh drivers gotten so aggressive and angry?

One of the greatest examples of what makes me angry....................on my way home the other night after sitting through an unnecessary stoppage at Settlers Ridge, I-79, Green Tree Hill, and Fort Pitt tunnel...............I noticed the Forbes Ave ramp backed up, which I thought was odd at 6:45pm. The upsetting thing? It really wasn't. There was a line of 20 plus cars, with the very first vehicle sitting disabled, clearly with it's four ways on. So what was the problem? Apparently, no one was smart enough to simply peek around to the left to see that all you had to do was simply go around the disabled vehicle and proceed.

As I say, I feel like I'm constantly on the road with teenagers who are on their first day of driving on their permit.

Old 10-07-2016, 09:29 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,545,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8YearsinPittsburgh View Post

As I say, I feel like I'm constantly on the road with teenagers who are on their first day of driving on their permit.
Why don't you just move to a part of town requiring less driving? You'll live longer.

Old 10-07-2016, 09:31 AM

969 posts, read 772,565 times
Quote:

Very condescending attitude you have there. We can criticize your suburban lifestyle all we want without needing to walk a mile in you shoes or maybe you should say drive? There are no sidewalks in most suburbs.

Last edited by xdv8; 10-07-2016 at 09:31 AM.. Reason: Typos
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh