Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2016, 08:13 AM

32,620 posts, read 77,647,109 times

Advertisements

I think people at-large not only in Pittsburgh but just in society overall are becoming ruder and more self-centered, thanks largely to social media-driven narcissism. We went to the drive-in last night to help celebrate my partner's 30th birthday, and all around us people kept turning their headlights on and off, being loud, etc. Made for a less-than-ideal experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2016, 05:58 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,556,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I think people at-large not only in Pittsburgh but just in society overall are becoming ruder and more self-centered, thanks largely to social media-driven narcissism. We went to the drive-in last night to help celebrate my partner's 30th birthday, and all around us people kept turning their headlights on and off, being loud, etc. Made for a less-than-ideal experience.
Copy that. Poor driving habits are everywhere, not just in the East End. I guess that's SCR's favorite spot.

Traffic here is nothing. Go live in Philly, Phoenix, or DC. You have to plan EVERY trip you take based on the time of day. Pgh is only a PITA 2 hours in the AM and 2 in the PM. It ain't that tough to get around here if you have half a brain.

Old 10-09-2016, 06:58 PM

6 posts, read 7,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8YearsinPittsburgh View Post
Unreasonable?
Also, I was in the left lane (passing lane to the rest of the country) and I had a car in back of me that drifted from approximately three car lengths behind to nearly six car lengths behind. Unreasonable? For sure. No reason to leave that kind of gap on a highway where speeds should be at least 55 mph.
I thought it'd be pertinent to bring up a question from the Pennsylvania Drivers Manual:
Question 90.
AT HIGHWAY SPEEDS, ON A DRY ROAD, A SAFE FOLLOWING DISTANCE IS AT LEAST:
A. 3 seconds of following distance from the car ahead of you
B. 2 seconds of following distance from the car ahead of you
C. 4 seconds of following distance from the car ahead of you
D. 2 car lengths of following distance from the car ahead of you

The answer is C. 4 seconds at 55mph would be 320 feet or approximately 21 car lengths (25 at 65mph). Granted, it's totally unrealistic to give 20+ car lengths gap in city traffic. However, there is no way you could argue that giving anything more than 3 lengths (with a fraction of a second reaction time) is unreasonable. As a side note, you might need some counseling it someone following 6 car lengths behind you causes any amount of frustration.

Old 10-10-2016, 10:46 AM

436 posts, read 343,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Copy that. Poor driving habits are everywhere, not just in the East End. I guess that's SCR's favorite spot.

Traffic here is nothing. Go live in Philly, Phoenix, or DC. You have to plan EVERY trip you take based on the time of day. Pgh is only a PITA 2 hours in the AM and 2 in the PM. It ain't that tough to get around here if you have half a brain.

And population is exponentially higher.

Old 10-10-2016, 10:50 AM

29,748 posts, read 34,415,700 times
I haven't mentioned my "favorite" driving move that I've seen more than once, so it wasn't just one terrible driver. Parkway East outbound, Forbes Ave. exit is backed up. Someone passes up the line of traffic in the exit lane, only to sit stopped with their blinker on in the center/new right lane at the point where the ramp moves away from the highway, which should be going at 55 mph. That's a jag move on a surface street, but it's a death wish on the highway.

Old 10-10-2016, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by churchill5 View Post
As a side note, you might need some counseling it someone following 6 car lengths behind you causes any amount of frustration.

Tell me when you have ever seen ANYONE giving ANYONE 21 car lengths on any interstate highway, ANYWHERE.

The frustration in someone leaving six car lengths or more is, it's one more reason why traffic is so sluggish in this region. There's absolutely no reason to leave that much of a gap on an interstate that should be moving at least at 50mph or better

Old 10-10-2016, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post

That's very true, but there is an additional difference in this region. I best describe it by saying that it seems like people don't know the very basics of driving. The poor focus on keeping traffic moving is something like I've never seen.

Old 10-10-2016, 11:24 AM

2,109 posts, read 2,161,058 times
Quote:
Tell me when you have ever seen ANYONE giving ANYONE 21 car lengths on any interstate highway, ANYWHERE.

The frustration in someone leaving six car lengths or more is, it's one more reason why traffic is so sluggish in this region. There's absolutely no reason to leave that much of a gap on an interstate that should be moving at least at 50mph or better
Please educate yourself. Gaps that are too tight to allow merging or otherwise require more sudden and disruptive actions increase the likelihood of traffic jams. Allowing for enough space so as to not be forced to suddenly brake lest you end up in the lead car's trunk is not only safer, but reduces traffic.

A little ways down the page here, there is a nice graphical representation:

The Physics Behind Traffic Jams

In the event that you would prefer a peer-reviewed study, you may want to consider beginning here:

Analysis of the Effect of Variable Lateral Gap Maintaining Behavior of Vehicles on Traffic Flow Modeling

Old 10-12-2016, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsStanwix? View Post
Please educate yourself. Gaps that are too tight to allow merging or otherwise require more sudden and disruptive actions increase the likelihood of traffic jams.

There's no reason or excuse for leaving 3 car lengths or more in traffic.

Old 10-12-2016, 12:41 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,556,285 times
Quote:
There's no reason or excuse for leaving 3 car lengths or more in traffic.
1 car Length for every 10 miles per hour-
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh