Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2015, 08:56 AM

2,401 posts, read 2,103,012 times

Advertisements

I don't believe this has been posted yet, confirms my suspicions having witnessed it with greater regularity in my own neighborhood. Encouraging stuff. Not all Pittsburgh neighborhoods are priced properly for a first time buyer with a lump of student loans but there are still a lot that are; Brighton Heights is waiting Gen Y'ers!;

http://www.bizjournals.com/pittsburg...s-hottest.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2015, 09:01 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,987,872 times
The student loan ripoff due to greed, might actually benefit Pittsburgh. I never really thought about it, but lets face it, unless you have one heck of a job, which is hard to get these days because CEO's take all the money for themselves, you can't afford to live in DC, NYC and the like, unless you don't mind a bunch of roommates. Go Pittsburgh!

Old 12-30-2015, 11:02 AM

4 posts, read 4,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
The student loan ripoff due to greed, might actually benefit Pittsburgh. I never really thought about it, but lets face it, unless you have one heck of a job, which is hard to get these days because CEO's take all the money for themselves, you can't afford to live in DC, NYC and the like, unless you don't mind a bunch of roommates. Go Pittsburgh!
This is a big part of why I'm moving to Pittsburgh in the summer. Paying off my 6 figure student loans while affording housing in DC was just too difficult.

Old 12-30-2015, 12:10 PM

994 posts, read 901,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenbmd View Post
This is a big part of why I'm moving to Pittsburgh in the summer. Paying off my 6 figure student loans while affording housing in DC was just too difficult.
How much of a paycut do you expect working in Pittsburgh? The median household income in DC is about $34k more than in Pittsburgh. Housing costs here are significantly lower, but transportation costs in DC are actually lower, and with more options.

Old 12-30-2015, 12:17 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,218,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
If you can't afford to go to college or send your kids to college, then don't.

If, however, you do, go to school for an in demand field. Liberal Arts and Sciences isn't going to bring much demand.

Old 12-30-2015, 01:32 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,898,719 times
Even without the SLD.... The East Coast COL is just too much, which is why in part I gave up NYC and returned to the Burgh, while keeping my NYC employment. God technology is great.

Even Philly COL is soaring from the amount of NYC refugees filling up that city... Pittsburgh politics need to be careful not to let Gentrfication make this city as Unaffordable as the Coasts.

Old 12-30-2015, 01:59 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,218,646 times
I expect it will happen. When you want an area to be better and be like other better areas, expect the appeal to draw more people and more $$$.

Old 12-30-2015, 02:08 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,815,748 times
It's not just NYC. I have noticed a lot of people from the west coast arriving here lately.

Old 12-30-2015, 02:58 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,263,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
Pittsburgh politics need to be careful not to let Gentrfication make this city as Unaffordable as the Coasts.

We are a far way from that, BB.

Plenty of low-priced neighborhoods, townships and boroughs in the area, and many of them are actually fairly attractive.

Old 12-30-2015, 05:02 PM

3,298 posts, read 3,893,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
Plenty of low-priced neighborhoods, townships and boroughs in the area, and many of them are actually fairly attractive.
But do people want to live there? Not really. Gentrification has made the decent neighborhoods unattainable for the average resident. The reason why there are more and more people leaving for other counties. Washington, parts of Beaver, and Butler are booming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh