Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2016, 03:47 PM

3,410 posts, read 4,471,813 times

Advertisements

The chair is only valid a day or two after a major storm imo. It has it's shortcomings as only polite people will respect the fact that you have spent an hour or two digging out your car. Make sure you lay some caltrops for the jerks. Before you accuse me of being a jerk for suggesting this, you have nothing to worry about if you aren't a jerk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2016, 04:03 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,975,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfax View Post
Meh.

If I see a chair I respect the chair. I don't personally use a parking chair but then I have off street parking so not really necessary.

It is part of the culture of Pittsburgh. If you don't like the culture, don't live here. Or at least have some respect even if you do think it's silly.
and will not respect a culture that grants private citizens de facto property rights over public property. Not all cultural norms are legal or respectable. I've lived in neighborhoods where littering was socially acceptable too, doesn't mean I have to respect it or leave.

Old 01-26-2016, 04:11 PM

3,110 posts, read 2,921,384 times
Feelings about this issue divide pretty evenly between those who are jagoffs and those who are not. I will let each person decide if the jagoff is the one who uses the chair, or moves the chair.

Old 01-26-2016, 04:17 PM

18,950 posts, read 11,604,932 times
In Pittsburgh I find it to be excessive but also endearingly identifiable as a somewhat acceptable Pittsburgh thing to do. It will irk me to see it in good weather but I'm fine with it after a big snow. I'm also fine with people moving them - you take your chances. Personally, I've never moved nor placed a parking chair in Pittsburgh.

After this weekend's snow in Virginia and digging out our cars and part of the common parking lot at our complex - ya, between the two of us we have one chair and are respecting others. Chances are we'll take it in tomorrow.

Old 01-26-2016, 04:33 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,239,607 times
Doesn't everyone have to dig out? So everyone puts a chair out?

Old 01-26-2016, 04:38 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,904,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
I currently have off-street parking, but I have routinely moved/destroyed parking placeholders in Pittsburgh, Boston and Chicago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Back in the day, I have run over the chair now and again.
Bless your hearts.

Old 01-26-2016, 04:54 PM

595 posts, read 601,348 times
I have one neighbor that does it year round, I don't mind at all. He's owned his house for 30+ years, we live close to 2 funeral homes (so spots get taken up frequently), and it's not a permit area (which I prefer because I like to have company). For all I care, it's his spot. It's been his spot since before most of the rest of us moved in. To me, it's not a big deal.

Old 01-26-2016, 05:00 PM

3,110 posts, read 2,921,384 times
I feel like when I moved here 13 years ago, and lived in Shadyside, it was completely acceptable to cross traffic to park. I almost feel like people took it as being something that was a completely legal thing to do. My neighbor does it daily, however outside of that I don’t see it very often anymore. Yet another Pgh quirk that has passed.

Old 01-26-2016, 05:12 PM

18,950 posts, read 11,604,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
I feel like when I moved here 13 years ago, and lived in Shadyside, it was completely acceptable to cross traffic to park. I almost feel like people took it as being something that was a completely legal thing to do. My neighbor does it daily, however outside of that I don’t see it very often anymore. Yet another Pgh quirk that has passed.
You mean doing a u-turn in order to park? Totally do that.

Old 01-26-2016, 05:39 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,669,252 times
I find it so irksome because as a delivery driver I just need to park for 30-60 seconds at a time and then be on my merry way, yet if I dare take someone's "spot" or move a chair there's hell to pay. I will never forget the shouting match on the South Side when I dared park in someone's personal on-street parking space as he came around the corner in his pick-up truck 10 seconds later. He stopped his truck in the middle of the street (it was Larkins Way or Edwards Way---don't remember which), got out, and stared me down as I crossed the street to make my delivery to his neighbor. I asked if I could help him with anything from her front sidewalk, and he said I was in "his" spot. I asked where his name was on the spot, and he said "You gettin' smart with me, boy?" Words continued to be exchanged as I handed my customer her food.

Sorry, PGHYinzer, but there's a difference between being a good-natured down-to-earth blue-collar yinzer and being uneducated condescending white-trash, and I've found the latter to be the types who want to throw-down over "their" on-street parking spaces for no reason other than to be insufferable. Those types of people can't be gentrified out of this city quickly enough for my tastes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh