Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2016, 07:19 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,992,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I have a coworker who lives in Edgewood. His family has a driveway, and only one car, so he doesn't have to worry about off-street parking. However, his next-door neighbor doesn't have a driveway and has two cars. His neighbor not only parks in front of his house, but puts up a chair in front of his house when not using the space. It frustrates him to no end, because it makes everyone on his block think he's the jerk.

Personally I've never lived anywhere in Pittsburgh where people used "the chair." I have had neighbors who seem to park like idiots though, leaving a half car space in front and behind them to ensure no one gets near them. Since I've moved to Morningside, I've found that a lot of people actually seem to believe they "own" the spot in front of their house. One guy even told my wife (nicely) that the parking space was included in his rent. I dunno if he was just speaking rhetorically or getting ripped off.
Do these people not know how cities work?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2016, 08:12 AM

90,296 posts, read 121,034,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
It's impossible to steal the spot because it never belonged to anyone. The labor one puts into freeing their car from the snow entitles them to move their car away from the curb, and nothing more.
Wow, just wow! I remember one time when we got one of those dumps. The four of us, DH, the two then teen girls and I dug out our driveway and the girls' two cars. A neighbor came along and asked us if she could part in the spot we dug out (I forget the exact circumstances, but it was so she could get to work; I think she lived on a cul-de-sac that hadn't yet been plowed open), and we said yes, the girls could park in the driveway for the duration. DH and I park our cars in the garage.

Old 01-27-2016, 08:14 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,901,336 times
I have a collection of parking cones in my basement from an attempted space saver if anyone ever needs any

Old 01-27-2016, 08:38 AM

1,701 posts, read 1,604,207 times
I love this thread so much. Someone still has a chair out in front of the house next to ours, which is hilarious because there is always plenty of space on our street, and besides the snow is long gone. Seems like a waste of a perfectly fine picnic chair to me. I don't have a problem with the concept of the chair myself, but it makes for a funny visual on a half-empty street.

We feel somewhat territorial about the curb in front of our house, but only because there really is plenty of space and so it always seems a little silly not to let us park in front of our own house. I can't imagine actually bringing it up to anyone; it's just cause for an occasional eye roll when the neighbors park in front of our house *and* the curb in front of their house is wide open. What's up with that? But again, it wouldn't occur to us if we lived on a denser street and parking was an actual issue -- if that were the case it would obviously be catch as catch can. We actually have a detached garage that I daydream about converting into a guest cottage or something, because street parking is seriously that plentiful on our block.

Old 01-27-2016, 08:50 AM

346 posts, read 538,417 times
I hate parking drama in all of it’s forms. There is so much STUPID parking DRAMA on my street that is totally unnecessary. There are at least four abandoned houses near me and always ample parking, but my terrible neighbors insist that they lay claim to the parking spots closest to their houses. If we ever have company over it’s always a huge ordeal and I usually am playing valet until everyone arrives. These are things neighbors have said to me. “How would you feel if someone parked in front of your house?!?!?!?!”… “Do you think it’s RIGHT to just park in someone’s spot? In front of their house?”… “All I want to do is park in front of my house” “I HAVE GROCERIES!!!!” … It’s soul crushing and mind numbingly awful. I gave up on fighting these fools on this and just try to park in places I know nobody will cause a fuss over. These people are not elderly nor do they have any sort of physical disability they are just lazy and entitled. That being said, this may sound somewhat hypocritical… but I did use a parking chair for this most recent snowstorm… and I do agree it’s ok ONLY in WINTER when a significant amount of accumulation has fallen. Even when I used it I shoveled the spot for my roommate like an hour before I knew they were going to be home and it was completely necessary as there was nowhere else for them to park. I still felt like I was selling my soul to the devil a bit… but I do agree it’s acceptable ONLY after a significant snow storm and you SHOVELED out a spot for yourself or your family. Once the snow is gone the chair should be gone…

Old 01-27-2016, 09:45 AM

3,111 posts, read 2,928,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrn14 View Post
I hate parking drama in all of it’s forms. There is so much STUPID parking DRAMA on my street that is totally unnecessary. There are at least four abandoned houses near me and always ample parking, but my terrible neighbors insist that they lay claim to the parking spots closest to their houses. If we ever have company over it’s always a huge ordeal and I usually am playing valet until everyone arrives. These are things neighbors have said to me. “How would you feel if someone parked in front of your house?!?!?!?!”… “Do you think it’s RIGHT to just park in someone’s spot? In front of their house?”… “All I want to do is park in front of my house” “I HAVE GROCERIES!!!!” … It’s soul crushing and mind numbingly awful. I gave up on fighting these fools on this and just try to park in places I know nobody will cause a fuss over. These people are not elderly nor do they have any sort of physical disability they are just lazy and entitled. That being said, this may sound somewhat hypocritical… but I did use a parking chair for this most recent snowstorm… and I do agree it’s ok ONLY in WINTER when a significant amount of accumulation has fallen. Even when I used it I shoveled the spot for my roommate like an hour before I knew they were going to be home and it was completely necessary as there was nowhere else for them to park. I still felt like I was selling my soul to the devil a bit… but I do agree it’s acceptable ONLY after a significant snow storm and you SHOVELED out a spot for yourself or your family. Once the snow is gone the chair should be gone…
Question...if there is all of this ample parking around your house, why don't your friends just park in front of one of these abandoned houses, and that way your neighbor can park in front of theirs?

Old 01-27-2016, 09:59 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,626,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
Question...if there is all of this ample parking around your house, why don't your friends just park in front of one of these abandoned houses, and that way your neighbor can park in front of theirs?
Maybe the aggrieved neighbors could put up "Visit Parking" signs to help outlanders know which spots those are?

Old 01-27-2016, 10:11 AM

3,111 posts, read 2,928,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
Maybe the aggrieved neighbors could put up "Visit Parking" signs to help outlanders know which spots those are?
I don't know perhaps one could be like, "next time you stop by can you do me a solid and park at the end of the block so I can avoid having to talk about parking yet again with my crazy neighbor?"

Old 01-27-2016, 10:16 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,626,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
I don't know perhaps one could be like, "next time you stop by can you do me a solid and park at the end of the block so I can avoid having to talk about parking yet again with my crazy neighbor?"

Given that JRN14 said "and I usually am playing valet until everyone arrives", I think that is insufficient for the neighbors.

Old 01-27-2016, 10:28 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,592,680 times
Move to Cranberry and avoid the Chair Game.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh