Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2016, 08:48 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,213,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by safak View Post
They don't come close to filling it except the very big games. i guess the difffererence is you don't have whiney, pedophile enabling fans taking pictures at halftime when everyone is in the bathroom or concorse and posting it to twitter saying you get no attenancece. because honestly, psu was ahead of the curve on finding the last thing they are good at they been touting their attendance for a few years now.

the same reason justin beiber has sold 42x more albums than jimi hendrix. because the masses are idiots, and my daughter needs a 3.9 to get into pitt, but only a 2.0 to start her pursuit of a psu degree.
Pretty sure there's more PSU alumni in Allegheny Cahnty than anywhere else...but as football goes, it's because Pitt hasn't been significant since the 80's. I'd have preferred the "glory days" white/lighter blue jerseys, but at least the new ones are better than what they've had.

Old 09-10-2016, 08:53 PM

3,298 posts, read 3,892,853 times
Quote:
It doesn't matter.

facts, pictures, personal accounts have it at about 12-14k psu fans. thats what it was. but they will talk 50% nonstop until it becomes fact, its already starting.
There will never be an exact count since the majority of PSU fans bought the Pitt packages. ESPN even mentioned that PSU returned tickets. Of course they did because fans didn't want to pay the PSU price.

Old 09-10-2016, 08:57 PM

1,214 posts, read 1,457,963 times
where is the link to that data?> I would be very interested in those numbers.

oh you don't have them, thats just what a friend and his joepa cutout told you? oh. well facts then!

anyway on to football, i am a big pitt fan and am not happy with where we are at. beating psu in a close game, basically means we are a 3rd tier big 10 team. lot of room to grow i guess.

Old 09-10-2016, 09:01 PM

You do realize that a huge amount of Pitt students cashed big on this game with their tix/season tix?

It's a catch 22. If Pitt succeeds too much then Narduzzi gets lured away even faster than when he ends up back at MSU. If they don't win enough it's "same old Pitt". Somewhere in the middle gets some stability and keeps hopes up. Tough program to balance.

Old 09-10-2016, 10:47 PM

3,298 posts, read 3,892,853 times
Quote:
where is the link to that data?> I would be very interested in those numbers.

oh you don't have them, thats just what a friend and his joepa cutout told you? oh. well facts then!

anyway on to football, i am a big pitt fan and am not happy with where we are at. beating psu in a close game, basically means we are a 3rd tier big 10 team. lot of room to grow i guess.
Penn Staters Bought Pitt Season Tickets And Pitt’s All-Time Season Ticket Record Broke - Onward State

http://onwardstate.com/2015/03/17/ni...-2016-meeting/
It's common knowledge. Pittsburgh local media covered the topic and psu fans have been passing around the idea on social media for months.

Old 09-10-2016, 11:00 PM

At least Pitt won and seats were filled. 8 wins is now a great possibility.

Last edited by erieguy; 09-10-2016 at 11:12 PM..

Old 09-11-2016, 12:06 AM

1,214 posts, read 1,457,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post

BTW, Pitt t-shirts are also available in white.

Its funny. White is the most common color of shirt.

Pitt honored the 1976 National Champ team, and half of those guys had white Pitt shirts on (white makes sense in 90 degree weather).

its like old slippin jimmy holding up the number 1 finger that athletes have been using forever, and claiming it as his sign..

Old 09-11-2016, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Its funny. White is the most common color of shirt.

Pitt honored the 1976 National Champ team, and half of those guys had white Pitt shirts on (white makes sense in 90 degree weather).

its like old slippin jimmy holding up the number 1 finger that athletes have been using forever, and claiming it as his sign..
If only we could go back to the glory days. Was great to see Dorsett on the sidelines. The game has just changed so much since then. Takes a lot of $$$ to get a "Saban-like" coach.

Last edited by erieguy; 09-11-2016 at 12:21 AM..

Old 09-11-2016, 03:49 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,474,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamieRose View Post
Congrats to Pitt, they definitely got the best of us, better than the final score indicated. Looking forward to next years match up in Happy Valley. What I don't get though....PSU fills their 107,000+ stadium for nearly every home game. Why can't Pitt can't sell out a 67,000 stadium unless a huge percentage of the fans are from the opposing team.

While I wasn't there, I dId watch on TV. With all due respect, there were many, many PSU fans. The cheers for both teams sounded the same on TV. I've never heard the "We Are" cheer when we play Michigan or OSU away.

Most of my PSU friends bought the 3 game packages. So we'll see what the stadium looks like going forward. But if the Villanova game is any indication, there will be lots of empty seats.
There isn`t much competition for the entertainment dollar in State College is there? Pittsburgh has quite a bit more to offer to say the least.

Old 09-11-2016, 05:35 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,989,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
They have a ways to go to work on their fan base. About half the stadium was Penn State fans and there were a lot of yellow seats. Maybe they should give students more free tickets. Set up a shuttle from campus to Heinz.
Was at the game. Good atmosphere, but still too many empty seats - supposedly a sellout, but probably a good 2-3K didn't show up, or at least never sat down. Those yellow seats are still the worst decision the Rooneys ever made. No way to hide those things.

Anyway, it was much more like 70-30 Pitt fans to PSU if you're not counting the respective bands.

Plenty of shuttle buses. And for once the students actually stayed until the end instead of leaving after third quarter.

Agree that Narduzzi went too conservative too soon.Franklin is not a good coach and PSU is not a good team, IMO, but when they went uptempo in 2nd half, Pitt (mostly) wasn't prepared for it. If PSU had a slightly better O line, they probably pull this off. As it was a dropped pass and the QB missing two open WRs on last play was all that kept Pitt out of loss column.

Last edited by sskink; 09-11-2016 at 05:51 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh