Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2017, 01:52 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,213,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcider View Post
Small minds use small words.
And you still can't "ignore" it.

Old 08-15-2017, 02:11 PM

3,733 posts, read 5,966,964 times
So a bunch of people from the right are massing to protest "at will" employment at a company?

Old 08-15-2017, 02:18 PM

969 posts, read 772,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeo View Post
So a bunch of people from the right are massing to protest "at will" employment at a company?
Constantly confusing at will employment with some free speech fight, only when it suits. Maybe Wendy Bell and Mr. Damore can tour together?

Old 08-15-2017, 02:47 PM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times
I don't really understand why the alt right is protesting and siding with Damore, since he is a centric. He wrote a memo and was fired for it by Google. I found the memo VERY well written and felt a subject like that could be discussed and expanded upon and if nothing else some sort of learning on all sides could possibly take place, but Google saw it as a sexist memo and wanted no part of a discussion, which is exactly the point Mr. Damore was trying to make. There is no room at Google for opinions other than what Google feels is their way, which of course would be popular in cites, but maybe not so popular in the country. I think he has a valid point regardless if you agree or disagree with the memo. Here is the memo if you want to learn about the actual story. Listening to a news source would be a complete waste of time on this one as they would want to spin it into something huge for profit which of course they did.

https://drive.google.com/viewerng/vi...ho-Chamber.pdf

Old 08-15-2017, 04:13 PM

2,401 posts, read 2,102,536 times
GG I believe they are looking to provoke a fight. They could care less about the Google guy who has denounced any support for the racists.

Old 08-15-2017, 05:27 PM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times
Quote:
GG I believe they are looking to provoke a fight. They could care less about the Google guy who has denounced any support for the racists.
Yeah, I sort of get the connection in a way, but Damore's style is very much a centric one, not leaning left or right. In city circles it would probably look right in style, but as a fellow centric, I would feel Damore is very much in the middle and just wanted to give a possible reason there are so many men in tech and leadership roles. I felt there was nothing negative towards women at all since he stated the women are the same as men at Google in talent.

Anyway, this thing sure went viral. As someone that works in the city and has lots of coworkers, I would say if I was a right winger and made that clear to others, I would be VERY unpopular to the point, I might be forced to leave, because people might conspire to get me to go via complaints. I know a right wing at work and he is DEAD silent to the point of NEVER speaking about it other than he knows me and I am centric and open to all sides to better understand everyone's viewpoint. I don't think I would like Google much as I am sure it is much more left than most places.

A lot can be learned from Damore's view, but I feel the media will just create it some Nazi story instead of what it really was. It was a memo stating there are differences in men and women. Duh, no kidding, but we can't discuss them or learn truths because it would appear sexist. Shame we cannot get past agendas and hype to learn reality. Oh well, it is going to be some **** show as always. I think the memo was very interesting and there is no doubt this young man is VERY bright.

Old 08-15-2017, 06:25 PM

12,390 posts, read 7,098,861 times
Quote:
Yes, nothing says you are looking for a fight when you show up somewhere, with a permit to be there, and peacefully assemble. Yes, standing there excising your constitutional right to peaceful assembly, and having people on the left throw rocks at you, then chase people, leaving the Alt Righters fleeing from a mob that has a very violent past, yes, those Alt Righters sure were looking for a fight. The people that want to protest Google will be no more "looking for a fight" then the group from VA.

I don't agree with these Alt Right people, but they have every right to peacefully assemble, and should be able to do so without violent mobs attacking them.

norcider,

I have a question for you. The violence has almost exclusively come from the left, did you go out of your way to condemn those on the left that have been engaged in rampant violence of people while peacefully assembling?

Old 08-15-2017, 06:30 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,213,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
Yes, nothing says you are looking for a fight when you show up somewhere, with a permit to be there, and peacefully assemble. Yes, standing there excising your constitutional right to peaceful assembly, and having people on the left throw rocks at you, then chase people, leaving the Alt Righters fleeing from a mob that has a very violent past, yes, those Alt Righters sure were looking for a fight. The people that want to protest Google will be no more "looking for a fight" then the group from VA.

I don't agree with these Alt Right people, but they have every right to peacefully assemble, and should be able to do so without violent mobs attacking them.
Exactly. I recall hearing many comments here near exactly like this in regards to protests this past year. I believe there was a BLM protest, a protest at/on the Hot Metal Bridge, Trump protests, etc...

Old 08-15-2017, 06:44 PM

2,401 posts, read 2,102,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post

norcider,

I have a question for you. The violence has almost exclusively come from the left, did you go out of your way to condemn those on the left that have been engaged in rampant violence of people while peacefully assembling?
No use engaging with you; I know what side you are on.

Old 08-15-2017, 06:45 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,599,498 times
There's no way to have a meaningful conversation when people are swallowing lies. I'm not interested in arguing with anyone here. Just look around and ask if you are on the side with the swastikas. You know, the side with the confederate flags. Ask what your father or grandfather would have said about that. Think about what you would say in response. There's no point in arguing with me here. Sooner or later you will see with your own eyes who is being violent, and then you will either march with them or against them.

It's all well and good to be on the side of free speech, but you still have to decide where you stand regarding white supremacy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh