Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2017, 07:07 AM

1,577 posts, read 1,283,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbw5100 View Post
Okay, let's break down some of the posts here, that truly lack self awareness.

"However, the 1st Amendment is what it is and it works both ways. Sometimes you're in favor of it and sometimes you're not. Everyone can't have everything "their way" all the time."

Right! And, it really goes both ways. Nazis were protesting in Charlottesville. People who are against Nazis (are we really calling anyone who is anti-Nazi the alt-left these days?) showed up to peacefully protest. By every account, except the Nazis and the president, the violence came from the alt-right. Not surprising that the group with assault rifles shouting "Soil and blood" were violent, but hey, if you want to be an apologist, go ahead. Exercise your rights, bud. Likewise, those of us who are anti-Nazi will exercise our rights to call you out. And, hopefully, employers will exercise their rights to fire everyone at these rallies and we can drive Nazis back into the shameful closets in which they belong.

"It really makes one wonder what people are teaching these days that they're arguing Constitutional Rights but promotes them only when they see fit."

Every Nazi-apologist argument can be summed up with this.

"You're arguing against the protest because of the protesters themselves and that is arguing a Constitutional Right"

You are arguing the protest of the protest of the protesters, which is a right. Pot, meet kettle.

And finally, to tie this back into Pittsburgh:

"Personal feelings don't trump Constitutional Rights." EXACTLY. Take a look at this Google guy -- he exercised his right to free speech, and published a spiel that anyone could see would be explosive. He created a PR nightmare, so Google exercised their rights to fire him. Why is the alt-right protesting this? I thought they were big fans of Constitutional Rights? I find it especially hilarious that this attack on Google is coming from the right, the very people who championed the concept of Corporate personhood.

The posters have every right to be wary, and upset at the thought of a bunch of ill-informed alt-right members threatening to "peacefully" protest on private property, which they do not have the right to do.
the post was on a private intranet message board concerning diversity.

Old 08-16-2017, 07:09 AM

110 posts, read 95,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xdv8 View Post
Come on down for the next one. Mingle with your people.
It's so weird that, after constantly defending Nazis, people think you're a Nazi, isn't it?

Old 08-16-2017, 07:11 AM

41,016 posts, read 18,213,684 times
Quote:
Okay, let's break down some of the posts here, that truly lack self awareness.

"However, the 1st Amendment is what it is and it works both ways. Sometimes you're in favor of it and sometimes you're not. Everyone can't have everything "their way" all the time."

Right! And, it really goes both ways. Nazis were protesting in Charlottesville. People who are against Nazis (are we really calling anyone who is anti-Nazi the alt-left these days?) showed up to peacefully protest. By every account, except the Nazis and the president, the violence came from the alt-right. Not surprising that the group with assault rifles shouting "Soil and blood" were violent, but hey, if you want to be an apologist, go ahead. Exercise your rights, bud. Likewise, those of us who are anti-Nazi will exercise our rights to call you out. And, hopefully, employers will exercise their rights to fire everyone at these rallies and we can drive Nazis back into the shameful closets in which they belong.

"It really makes one wonder what people are teaching these days that they're arguing Constitutional Rights but promotes them only when they see fit."

Every Nazi-apologist argument can be summed up with this.

"You're arguing against the protest because of the protesters themselves and that is arguing a Constitutional Right"

You are arguing the protest of the protest of the protesters, which is a right. Pot, meet kettle.

And finally, to tie this back into Pittsburgh:

"Personal feelings don't trump Constitutional Rights." EXACTLY. Take a look at this Google guy -- he exercised his right to free speech, and published a spiel that anyone could see would be explosive. He created a PR nightmare, so Google exercised their rights to fire him. Why is the alt-right protesting this? I thought they were big fans of Constitutional Rights? I find it especially hilarious that this attack on Google is coming from the right, the very people who championed the concept of Corporate personhood.

The posters have every right to be wary, and upset at the thought of a bunch of ill-informed alt-right members threatening to "peacefully" protest on private property, which they do not have the right to do.
People can think anything they want, it still doesn't make what they think right.

Actually, I feel sorry for those that live their life thinking everyone around them is a racist just because they don't shake their head up and down at everything they say. In this particular case, these people have gotten all worked up and made ridiculous assumptions for a protest that isn't even going to happen.

Old 08-16-2017, 07:13 AM

684 posts, read 419,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
I don't agree with these Alt Right people, but they have every right to peacefully assemble, and should be able to do so without violent mobs attacking them.
This has to be the most peaceful assembly I've ever seen.

Charlottsville

Old 08-16-2017, 07:14 AM

Quote:
It's so weird that, after constantly defending Nazis, people think you're a Nazi, isn't it?
Who is constantly defending Nazi's?

This is the first post I've seen here talking about a protest. If gg hadn't posted the link most wouldn't have even known there was a protest possibly taking place?

Old 08-16-2017, 07:17 AM

684 posts, read 419,767 times
I guess the snowflakes will stay inside afterall.

Quote:
Organizers of a free speech protest planned at Google locations across the United States including Pittsburgh said late Tuesday that the marches will be postponed because of threats from “left-wing terrorists.”

“The Peaceful March on Google has been postponed due to credible Alt Left terrorist threats for the safety of our citizen participants,” organizers wrote on the protest's website.

The postponement of Saturday's rally comes after violent clashes in Charlottesville in which a car crashed into a crowd of activists, killing one person and injuring 19. On Tuesday, President Trump used the term “alt-left” and said both sides were to blame for the violence.

The organizer of the Google march, Jack Posobiec, is an alt-right activist and self-described “reality journalist” who used conspiracy theories to galvanize Trump supporters during the presidential campaign, including the infamous “Pizzagate” rumors of child trafficking.

In announcing the postponement, Posobiec blamed the mainstream media, and in particular CNN, for making “malicious and false statements that our peaceful march was being organized by Nazi sympathizers.”

Google's office in Pittsburgh's Bakery Square was one of nine locations targeted by the anti-censorship rallies organized by Posobiec.

Posobiec told the Tribune-Review on Tuesday that he was concerned about threats of violence at the planned protests.

The rallies were planned in reaction to Google's firing of James Damore, a software engineer who wrote a controversial anti-diversity memo. Posobiec planned the rallies before the protests in Charlottesville turned violent.

Old 08-16-2017, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prnlvsxy View Post
I guess the snowflakes will stay inside afterall.
The protest not happening was mentioned here 2 pages ago but the snowflakes assumed it was still really going to happen.

Old 08-16-2017, 08:58 AM

4,362 posts, read 6,533,449 times
Eh, I haven't felt like protesting anything since KDKA fired Bob Prince.

My how times have changed.

Old 08-16-2017, 09:06 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,883,891 times
So was this actually a real thing or another one of those made up events to stoke the outrage of netizens like the supposed Antifa grave desecration 'event' in Gettysburg last month that likewise didn't occur?

Old 08-16-2017, 09:17 AM

4,362 posts, read 6,533,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
So was this actually a real thing or another one of those made up events to stoke the outrage of netizens like the supposed Antifa grave desecration 'event' in Gettysburg last month that likewise didn't occur?
Oh yes, Bob Prince was once fired by KDKA. Many were upset, few protested.

Can't we all just get along?

I don't so much care about simple protests, First Amendment style. But when they encroach upon the freeways, all bets are off. An event I can avoid, an unplanned freeway closure I can not.

No matter the reason for protest, the first punch or rock thrown should result in an arrest. Violence can not be tolerated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh