Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2018, 09:07 AM

3,463 posts, read 4,647,901 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by krogerDisco View Post
No, it's based in Silicon Valley, more precisely, San Jose.
Thanks for the info! They do have big presence in Seattle, or at least they did last time I visited.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2018, 10:22 AM

1,146 posts, read 1,414,136 times
The NYC subway system is amazing to me just because of its vast scale and so many stations. I've taken the C and E trains a few times when I have been there for work and I never checked a schedule. Just went to the nearest stop and they came every 4-5 minutes. Granted these were weekdays and during daytime/early evening but still. I never experienced issues but I know people will rely on the subway every day and they hate it and the MTA.

With the T here it seems like I am always checking the schedule or TrueTime system because I don't know if they are during the time of day where they come every 7 minutes or 27 minutes, especially if I am taking one of the Blue/Red Line variants.

Old 01-26-2018, 10:23 AM

1,146 posts, read 1,414,136 times
If HQ2 comes here, Amazon totally needs to build these: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/featu...ini-rainforest

Old 01-26-2018, 10:26 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,968,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainmidnight View Post
The NYC subway system is amazing to me just because of its vast scale and so many stations. I've taken the C and E trains a few times when I have been there for work and I never checked a schedule. Just went to the nearest stop and they came every 4-5 minutes. Granted these were weekdays and during daytime/early evening but still. I never experienced issues but I know people will rely on the subway every day and they hate it and the MTA.

With the T here it seems like I am always checking the schedule or TrueTime system because I don't know if they are during the time of day where they come every 7 minutes or 27 minutes, especially if I am taking one of the Blue/Red Line variants.
I grew up in the City and spent my early adulthood there. MTA is the most comprehensive system in the country, but my NY friends tell me it has become completely unreliable, as of late.

Old 01-26-2018, 10:43 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,598,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
I grew up in the City and spent my early adulthood there. MTA is the most comprehensive system in the country, but my NY friends tell me it has become completely unreliable, as of late.
Yes. Followed by unprintable obscenities directed at Andrew Cuomo.

Old 01-26-2018, 11:23 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,338,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainmidnight View Post
If HQ2 comes here, Amazon totally needs to build these: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/featu...ini-rainforest
Or they can invent something to get rid of all the clouds and pollution from the Midwest that hovers over Western PA from October to April!

Old 01-26-2018, 12:23 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,038,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Is there any city in the country which has a fully-functional transit system right now? I've heard horrible complaints about NYC, San Francisco, DC, and to a lesser extent Philly in recent years. Maybe Boston and Chicago are doing comparably okay? Not really sure.

Old 01-26-2018, 12:44 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,599,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Is there any city in the country which has a fully-functional transit system right now? I've heard horrible complaints about NYC, San Francisco, DC, and to a lesser extent Philly in recent years. Maybe Boston and Chicago are doing comparably okay? Not really sure.
We still spend a lot of time back in Rogers Park, and Chicago is doing OK. I mean, public transportation is one of those things that's kind of easy to hate, like stoplights or traffic, so some amount of complaining is inevitable. But I'm aware of the ways in which the NYC system seems to have suffered over the past ten years, and Chicago doesn't seem to be dysfunctional in the same way.

We also lived in Boston/Cambridge for a long time and we hear more complaints from there, but part of that (I think) is that Boston is so darn expensive now that all our friends commute comparatively long distances, so interruptions in service are a bigger hassle. But again...the complaints seem consistent with what they were ten years ago, whereas my NYC people reflect what gladhands and others are saying, that it has been going downhill in a serious way.

Old 01-26-2018, 12:49 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,968,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Chicago has been spending billions to modernize its system, and reliability has increased. Initially, locals wanted service expansions, but the city thought that would be better served with improvements, and it was right.

https://www.transportation.gov/tifia...e-line-project
Red and Purple Modernization Program

Old 01-26-2018, 12:59 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,898,719 times
I actually think Chicago has the most reliable and comprehensive transit in the nation right now.

Boston, NYC, Philly and DC are suffering greatly from crumbling infrastructures. Their transit systems are collapsing and fast. The NYC subway has trains derailing, breaking down in Tunnels trapping people on trains, bad signaling.

Amtrak has let what was once the envy of the rest of the nation, the Northeast Corridor, fall to become a deteriorating joke. The NEC especially between PHL and NYP is collapsing fast, its an unreliable headache. Constant breakdowns, delays... Too Hot the system buckles, too Cold the system buckles. And the Tunnels into NYP are on countdown until one of them collapses from age, they needed replaced Years ago, still no clear path as to when.

We all like to think the East Coast has a leg up when it comes to Transit, just by looking at the comprehensiveness of various systems. But the infrastructure of Transit on the East Coast is in a dire state currently. Its NOT GOOD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh