Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2018, 03:41 PM

1,106 posts, read 1,164,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
Read the Seattle Times about their homeless problem. The city council there is taxing Amazon $250+ PER employee per year to fund homeless "services". This would include free needles for addicts and other insanity. The city has addicts moving there from the Rust Belt like ants to a picnic. Multiply $250 * 40k employees. Bezos is a little ticked off.
Why are you conflating homelessness with opioid addiction? And do you really think needle exchanges encourage people to use heroin?
You know opioid use and overdose deaths have gone up significantly in PA but not in Washington state, right?
Allegheny County has about 10 overdose deaths every day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2018, 04:27 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,549,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charisb View Post
Why are you conflating homelessness with opioid addiction? And do you really think needle exchanges encourage people to use heroin?
You know opioid use and overdose deaths have gone up significantly in PA but not in Washington state, right?
Allegheny County has about 10 overdose deaths every day.
Read the Seattle news. There's an informative thread on this site's Seattle forum that addresses the Head tax and homelessness there.

Old 05-16-2018, 05:15 PM

1,106 posts, read 1,164,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
Read the Seattle news. There's an informative thread on this site's Seattle forum that addresses the Head tax and homelessness there.
I am talking specifically about the connection between opioid use and increases in homelessness. I am not seeing anything that makes that link. In fact, one article states:

"There is a 96 percent statistical correlation between the region’s rent increases and the increase in homelessness, a finding that echoes an analysis by Zillow Research, which found those relationships strong in Seattle, Los Angeles, New York and Washington, D.C.

While McKinsey can’t say that higher rents directly cause more people to lose their homes, the two have “risen together in lockstep,” Stringfellow said.

McKinsey found the correlation between opioid deaths and homelessness to be far lower, at 34 percent — an indication that, counter to some assumptions, drug use alone isn’t driving the dramatic rise in homelessness here."

Old 05-16-2018, 09:07 PM

3,595 posts, read 3,396,252 times
I would think the increase in homelessness can be attributed more to the decline in mental health care than the increase in opioid use.

Old 05-17-2018, 07:36 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,554,414 times
Are they gonna televise this like LeBron's Decision?

Old 05-17-2018, 03:24 PM

1,705 posts, read 1,390,145 times
According to Fortune, Amazon has visited all 20 cities and might have enough to make a decision.

Amazon is Getting Closer To Picking a Site For HQ2 | Fortune

Some sources think Apple is interested in Raleigh. Arlington was notified by Amazon that its site wasn't "urban" enough, or something like that.

The PG suggested that Amazon was impressed with the Strip. Don't think it was on the list of spots offered although, the Hill might be somewhat close enough. I think capping 579 would be important to integrate an Amazon campus with Downtown.

Old 05-18-2018, 06:53 AM

3,291 posts, read 2,775,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krogerDisco View Post
According to Fortune, Amazon has visited all 20 cities and might have enough to make a decision.

Amazon is Getting Closer To Picking a Site For HQ2 | Fortune

Some sources think Apple is interested in Raleigh. Arlington was notified by Amazon that its site wasn't "urban" enough, or something like that.

The PG suggested that Amazon was impressed with the Strip. Don't think it was on the list of spots offered although, the Hill might be somewhat close enough. I think capping 579 would be important to integrate an Amazon campus with Downtown.

I speculated on here last year that they should look at a split campus between the Hill and the Strip, if interested in Pittsburgh. Seems like that combination would get them what they want in a centralized area.

Old 05-18-2018, 07:09 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,042,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Buster View Post
I speculated on here last year that they should look at a split campus between the Hill and the Strip, if interested in Pittsburgh. Seems like that combination would get them what they want in a centralized area.
The problem is due to topography and 579 (even post deck park) it's going to be like a 20 minute unpleasant walk between the two.

If they chose the Strip, they'd buy out Bucher's lower strip property. If they did that, they might as well buy out Schweizer Lock (which is also owned by Buncher) right across the 16th Street Bridge on the North Shore as well.

One added benefit for Amazon would be both locations would be right next to hundreds of units of apartments.

Old 05-18-2018, 07:22 AM

3,291 posts, read 2,775,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
The problem is due to topography and 579 (even post deck park) it's going to be like a 20 minute unpleasant walk between the two.

Yeah something should be done to improve access between those two areas, Amazon or not.

But I don't think it would be a huge deal. I've worked at several companies with multiple locations in an area, where they had basically continuous shuttle service running between the locations. Some people used the shuttles as part of their regular commute also.

Old 05-18-2018, 07:26 AM

2,277 posts, read 3,962,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Buster View Post
Yeah something should be done to improve access between those two areas, Amazon or not.

But I don't think it would be a huge deal. I've worked at several companies with multiple locations in an area, where they had basically continuous shuttle service running between the locations. Some people used the shuttles as part of their regular commute also.
Strip district to hill incline????? We have the technology!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh