Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2018, 08:02 AM

3,291 posts, read 2,775,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost_In_Translation View Post
Strip district to hill incline????? We have the technology!!!!

They should never have torn it down 60 years ago or whenever. Not sure if that one went close to the lower hill tho.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2018, 08:30 AM

354 posts, read 475,909 times
The leaders around here kept trying to push the areas that they were hoping to fill, not necessarily the ones that were going to appeal to Amazon. Maybe thats the right thing to do, idk. But we took them down to the Airport site and the Carrie Furnace? Why? I always thought Lower Hill, Uptown, the Strip, Swietzer Loch, Station Square/Lower SS, Chateau were the best suited areas. The rest was just land that happened to be empty. Not exacly unique in the ol US of A

Old 05-18-2018, 08:44 AM

3,733 posts, read 5,968,698 times
If they decide on Pittsburgh, the Hill, Strip and Scheizer Lock locations would probably work. They are urban but with land to develop, and don't forget that the T still has a rarely-used spur that goes from Steel Plaza to Penn Station which could be utilized as a connection.

Old 05-18-2018, 09:00 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,042,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faer View Post
The leaders around here kept trying to push the areas that they were hoping to fill, not necessarily the ones that were going to appeal to Amazon. Maybe thats the right thing to do, idk. But we took them down to the Airport site and the Carrie Furnace? Why? I always thought Lower Hill, Uptown, the Strip, Swietzer Loch, Station Square/Lower SS, Chateau were the best suited areas. The rest was just land that happened to be empty. Not exacly unique in the ol US of A
Since this was a joint pitch by Pittsburgh and Allegheny County, I can understand why there was pressure on Fitzgerald to have something not in the city as a pitched location.

Old 05-18-2018, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeo View Post
If they decide on Pittsburgh, the Hill, Strip and Scheizer Lock locations would probably work. They are urban but with land to develop, and don't forget that the T still has a rarely-used spur that goes from Steel Plaza to Penn Station which could be utilized as a connection.
If Amazon chose the strip, I wonder if the T could be extended as far as 14th Street and a pedestrian walkway added over to the strip. I've been not-really-proposing that we route more west/south busroutes to a turnaround loop at the same area. That would really unlock some interesting options, like developing along a lower Strip/Lower hill-Downtown/First side (blow up the jail!)/Station Square corridor. Also a brown line running down there would be a viable option and do wonders for Allentown. The switch and signal system for that is already in place to handle that although the single track bottleneck is still a thing.

Last edited by Faer; 05-18-2018 at 09:24 AM..

Old 05-18-2018, 09:21 AM

3,110 posts, read 2,919,865 times
Quote:
If Amazon chose the strip, I wonder if the T could be extended as far as 14th Street and a pedestrian walkway added over to the strip. I've been not-really-proposing that we route more west/south busroutes to a turnaround loop at the same area. That would really unlock some interesting options, like developing along a lower Strip/Lower hill-Downtown/First side (blow up the jail!)/Station Square corridor. Also a brown line running down there would be a viable option and do wonders for Allentown. The switch and signal system for that is already in place to handle that although the single track bottleneck is still a thing.

Heck, if it ended up in that area the benefits for housing would reach as far as Brookline as the 39 terminates at the busway.

Old 05-18-2018, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
Heck, if it ended up in that area the benefits for housing would reach as far as Brookline as the 39 terminates at the busway.
I've suggested in other places that we make the Smithfield bridge again transit only on 1 side, make Smithfield street into the equivalent of Denver's 16th Street with buslanes each way, feeding into Penn Station and turnaround at ~14th. Basically this would almost all be dedicated buslanes. Add a restored brown line at you've practically dropped a transit hub at the would be Amazon in the Strip. Something to think about.

Old 05-18-2018, 09:45 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Quote:
I've suggested in other places that we make the Smithfield bridge again transit only on 1 side, make Smithfield street into the equivalent of Denver's 16th Street with buslanes each way, feeding into Penn Station and turnaround at ~14th. Basically this would almost all be dedicated buslanes. Add a restored brown line at you've practically dropped a transit hub at the would be Amazon in the Strip. Something to think about.
Whoa! You used the "D" word. You'll probably get some nasty rep.

We should never, ever learn from other cities! /s

Old 05-18-2018, 12:01 PM

3,733 posts, read 5,968,698 times
There are a lot of transportation options that could be possible if Amazon decides on Pittsburgh. The influx of people, jobs, and increased tax revenue could allow us to actually plan solid improvements in the transit system, roads, and yes, bike infrastructure. There will be more people riding, meaning more demand for more routes to critical destination nodes. If we plan it in an intelligent way, we can mitigate added car traffic with increased reliable transit/Uber/Lyft/bikes.

Old 05-18-2018, 12:15 PM

1,705 posts, read 1,390,145 times
Quote:
Instead of buses, I'd use autonomous street cars (no fare). I'd also extend it to include Station Square on one end and at least the Produce Terminal on the other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh