Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2018, 07:11 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,992,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsburghaccuweather View Post
Most people believe the main reason Pittsburgh made this Amazon list is because of Carnegie Mellon University.
Early on I would think this is accurate, but it isn't anymore. I work in the East End and know a ton of people that hire and fire. What we are seeing in Pittsburgh is people moving here due to insane costs in places like NYC, San Francisco and the like. We are cheap and a city big enough for most. It isn't about just what is here now, it is how to entice people to come here due to cost of living. You are living in San Fran and making $120,000 a year. You are just getting buy. You make that in Pittsburgh you are living like a king. That is the appeal. Believe me, people are moving here just because of the media. I in the the mix of all of this with my connections.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2018, 07:48 AM

3,291 posts, read 2,775,957 times
Quote:

And my point was that yes they will have to recruit from elsewhere to get the volume of folks needed to fill the amazon jobs. It’s sad that in a metro of 2.3 million people you don’t have the talent available on hand to fill amazons wants and needs. Will they be able to get folks to move here and keep them? That’s the million dollar question. Preaching lower salary for cost of living is not gonna do it either. That is a gimmick that’s failed up to this point. It’s much easier to do in a city that is already growing vs one on the decline.
No city is going to have everyone they want. You think they don't already heavily recruit from all over while they are based in Seattle? Of course they do, we already know that (and they already recruit from Pittsburgh too, how about that). Every large company hires from out of town. Its foolish to think that a city would have all the talent on hand to fill Amazon's wants and needs - its just not going to happen. Keep in mind just because Amazon makes someone an offer they aren't just going to automatically accept. They have to compete with many other companies who may pay more and have better reputations. Wherever they go they will still keep recruiting from all over.

Old 07-19-2018, 09:18 AM

615 posts, read 394,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Buster View Post
No city is going to have everyone they want. You think they don't already heavily recruit from all over while they are based in Seattle? Of course they do, we already know that (and they already recruit from Pittsburgh too, how about that). Every large company hires from out of town. Its foolish to think that a city would have all the talent on hand to fill Amazon's wants and needs - its just not going to happen. Keep in mind just because Amazon makes someone an offer they aren't just going to automatically accept. They have to compete with many other companies who may pay more and have better reputations. Wherever they go they will still keep recruiting from all over.
You don’t say! I had no idea other cities had to recruit out of town for talent. Since you really didn’t read what I posted here is the question restated. Is Pittsburgh going to be able to attract folks and then retain them? If you look at all 20 cities only one is declining in population, has more deaths than births and has difficulties attracting people to move there from out of town. Also this one city has been a tough sell to outsiders for years. I won’t give you anymore hints on that one.

If amazon comes here they will have to pay comparable to the more expensive cities. Especially the meat grinder that amazon is. The lower salary and live cheaper gimmick doesn’t work and has been a failure advertisement. People don’t buy it. Either a place is desirable or it isn’t. Plain and simple. Seattle happens to be a desirable area. Right now there are lots of good paying jobs throughout the states of Michigan and Indiana. They are cheaper living than the burgh and still have trouble attracting folks for higher salary 70k jobs. Again the desirablility for others to pick up and move there is low. The United States as a whole has the least amount of people moving from place to place for work in a very long time. It’s been stated that if people left these depressed areas to go where work is then unemployment would be near 1 percent. People are much more risk adverse and cling to depressed areas rather than move to a job.

It’s hard to imagine amazon choosing a city like Pittsburgh over Atlanta or Raleigh because those are cities that have been and continue to attract people to move there. We have struggled in that area and continue to do so.

Old 07-19-2018, 10:15 AM

5,110 posts, read 7,143,192 times
The region's natural change is irrelevant to the discussion, but I get that it's critical, essential even, for some to insert it into every comment.

Last edited by JoeP; 07-19-2018 at 10:36 AM..

Old 07-19-2018, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
The region's natural change is irrelevant to the discussion, but I get that it's critical, essential even, for some to insert it into every comment.
You are entitled to your opinion. I think it is relevant and not just to Amazon but other companies looking to setup an office somewhere. I’m sure amazon will do a workforce study as far as what’s available and population migration trends. Businesses usually set up shop where talent is readlily available or in a place where they can get others to relocate there quickly. The good thing about Pittsburgh is even though it’s declining you are within a day drive to a lot of areas to pull talent from. On the flip side we are the ones usually getting purged talent leaving for nearby cities. Fifty percent of graduates leave the region for jobs elsewhere. We are within a day drive and under 1 hour flight time to cities like Raleigh, DC and even Nashville or Indy. It could work for us, but most of the time it goes against us.

Old 07-19-2018, 01:36 PM

5,110 posts, read 7,143,192 times
It's not my opinion. It's just not relevant. Companies do what they do based on their needs. Companies have opened offices in Pittsburgh based on talent etc. Pittsburgh's historical natural migration issue didn't stop it and all of the new companies coming in and expansions of existing companies is what helps change the damage done in the 80s.

This is pretty basic stuff, which makes it very odd that I have to even state it.

Another and ironic layer to this, is that the changes that Amazon's proposed HQ2 bring, would make any city a destination simply based Amazon being there.

People have argued that Raleigh is too small, or similar things with Indy and Columbus, but all of these cities would automatically be altered by the fact that Amazon's presence changes the pattern etc.

Indy, Pittsburgh Columbus etc all have - and you touched on this - other cities nearby, all of this makes the host city able to draw from the other cities.

Again, I'm not breaking any news here.

Old 07-19-2018, 06:08 PM

Quote:
You don’t say! I had no idea other cities had to recruit out of town for talent. Since you really didn’t read what I posted here is the question restated. Is Pittsburgh going to be able to attract folks and then retain them? If you look at all 20 cities only one is declining in population, has more deaths than births and has difficulties attracting people to move there from out of town. Also this one city has been a tough sell to outsiders for years. I won’t give you anymore hints on that one.

If amazon comes here they will have to pay comparable to the more expensive cities. Especially the meat grinder that amazon is. The lower salary and live cheaper gimmick doesn’t work and has been a failure advertisement. People don’t buy it. Either a place is desirable or it isn’t. Plain and simple. Seattle happens to be a desirable area. Right now there are lots of good paying jobs throughout the states of Michigan and Indiana. They are cheaper living than the burgh and still have trouble attracting folks for higher salary 70k jobs. Again the desirablility for others to pick up and move there is low. The United States as a whole has the least amount of people moving from place to place for work in a very long time. It’s been stated that if people left these depressed areas to go where work is then unemployment would be near 1 percent. People are much more risk adverse and cling to depressed areas rather than move to a job.

It’s hard to imagine amazon choosing a city like Pittsburgh over Atlanta or Raleigh because those are cities that have been and continue to attract people to move there. We have struggled in that area and continue to do so.

LOL you quite clearly stated that it's "sad" that Pgh couldn't supply ALL the talent they needed. And I rebutted that correctly by saying no city will. So I guess it also must be sad that Seattle can't do it either, or Boston, or Philly, or Atlanta, etc. Its just a sad state of affairs for all the cities apparently. Guess what, Pittsburgh couldn't supply all the workers for US Steel either back in their heyday. How sad. You seem to like trying to twist the subject and change your intended statements.

Old 07-19-2018, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
It's not my opinion. It's just not relevant. Companies do what they do based on their needs. Companies have opened offices in Pittsburgh based on talent etc. Pittsburgh's historical natural migration issue didn't stop it and all of the new companies coming in and expansions of existing companies is what helps change the damage done in the 80s.

This is pretty basic stuff, which makes it very odd that I have to even state it.

Another and ironic layer to this, is that the changes that Amazon's proposed HQ2 bring, would make any city a destination simply based Amazon being there.

People have argued that Raleigh is too small, or similar things with Indy and Columbus, but all of these cities would automatically be altered by the fact that Amazon's presence changes the pattern etc.

Indy, Pittsburgh Columbus etc all have - and you touched on this - other cities nearby, all of this makes the host city able to draw from the other cities.

Again, I'm not breaking any news here.
Do you have any evidence to back up your claim? We haven’t seen it yet around these parts. We have actually seen the opposite. Companies leaving the county or state for elsewhere. I think we are still reeling from the loss of USAirways and the 10,000 jobs that went to Charlotte with them. PNC will have a bigger presence in North Carolina before long and Heinz is pretty much all gone to Chicago. Natural gas drilling is probably the future of the burgh. The 80s have been gone for 30 plus years now. That’s a straw man argument. Maybe it’s just as simple as those embracing change to move forward and those resistant to change being left behind.

I am down in South Carolina for work and flew into Raleigh. If you think this city is inferior in size to Pittsburgh think again. This place has exploded with growth it will probably pass us in the next 10 to 20 years if not sooner. I think you need to get out to other cities more often and see what real growth is. I wouldn’t be surprised if they make a play for PNC Hq down the road. The future appears to be bright here. Follow the money and people that’s where amazon will go.

I think the 20 city amazon list is irrelevant. They probably already had a top 3 in mind. Who they chose and who they omitted after made no sense. You keep Indianapolis but omit Charlotte? You keep Pittsburgh and Philly, but omit Detroit? I don’t get it.

Old 07-19-2018, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Buster View Post
LOL you quite clearly stated that it's "sad" that Pgh couldn't supply ALL the talent they needed. And I rebutted that correctly by saying no city will. So I guess it also must be sad that Seattle can't do it either, or Boston, or Philly, or Atlanta, etc. Its just a sad state of affairs for all the cities apparently. Guess what, Pittsburgh couldn't supply all the workers for US Steel either back in their heyday. How sad. You seem to like trying to twist the subject and change your intended statements.
Those cities are different. You keep comparing apples and oranges. They are able to attract and retain talent that wants to live there and stay. They aren’t in business to be an economic savior and partner with a mayor that is desperate for more tax revenue to fix things. Pittsburgh needs this and those other cities are doing fine without amazon.

Old 07-19-2018, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Those cities are different. You keep comparing apples and oranges. They are able to attract and retain talent that wants to live there and stay. We haven’t been able to do that. It will always be a problem here. It is the main reason I see Amazon as a long shot here. They aren’t in business to be a savior and partner with a mayor that is desperate for more tax revenue to fix things.

Apples and oranges??? they are all on the Amazon list. dude, what are you talking about? all cities are different. none are them same. apples and oranges I guess. we can't compare any of them I guess becuase all are different. ohhhhh, those cities are on your small super-secret private list of cities that Amazon really wants, ok.

Also love how you tell other posters who you don't even know that they need to get and and travel more. that's really rich.unless they've stated that they don't travel much, you have no idea. Oh but you took that trip to Raleigh, I guess that tops all lol. News for you: most people on this board probably travel quite a bit.

Last edited by _Buster; 07-19-2018 at 06:37 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh