Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2018, 02:58 PM

716 posts, read 766,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsburghaccuweather View Post
So anybody who disagrees with either of you is a troll. I don’t understand. There appears to be a healthy debate lacking from this thread. It is all one sided with nobody wanting to reason with those that disagree. Maybe you both are the trolls. Continue to have everything censored and watch the participation drop.

I was pointing out Pittsburgh’s problems won’t be solved with amazon. It will be a positive step with jobs, but current residents will put up a fight and community groups will sue. It takes years to change culture. It will be a long drag to the finish line if this happens. And most residents will feel the pain in their wallet with rising cost.s.
I dont think it has anything to do with who's disagreeing with whom, it's that you have 15 posts thay all say the same thing. You don't want people to think you're a troll then try diversifying your comments and threads on which you post.

Anyway like any city, Pittsburgh does have some problems. I personally don't consider population to be one of them. Not would I expect Amazon to be a solution. But you're not wrong on some things like pwsa which goes to show that people can agree with you on some things and still consider you a troll.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2018, 05:32 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,732,470 times
Accusing someone of being a troll makes you the troll. And is not allowed.
Report and leave those kinds of decisions to us.
Yac.

Old 07-16-2018, 03:56 PM

41 posts, read 34,653 times
Quote:
Amazon is going to choose Pittsburgh. It will be a a tide that lifts all boats. The population decline will reverse and the income equality will magically erase. People aren’t going to fight. The city and its residents are going to welcome them with open arms. The politicians of this city will be remembered fondly like president FDR for growing the ecomy. PWSA will become a solvent agency delivering the best and most lead free water in the US. It will be like drinking spring water from the Rockies. The amazon package is the most fair and looks out for the citizens of Pittsburgh. Amazon will decide to partner with these great politicians and provide affordable housing. Home wood will become the next model for gentrification. Pittsburgh public schools will become blue ribbon, exceeding USC and mt Lebanon. Mayor Peduto is so enthralled with amazon he decides to drop the wage tax from 3 to 1 percent. Pittsburgh is the next Mecca in the new economy.
See. you literally have nothing to say. I respect purposeful debate, I hate pointless debate. You chose to not address a single point of rebuttal to your position. Your childish answer just affirms your real intention on here.

Stated another, entirely different, way - every city on the list has issues. Amazon will not solve everyone's problems. Some new problems will occur. For all cities. Your position that Pittsburgh is unique is ridiculous.

Old 07-16-2018, 10:27 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,992,063 times
Quote:
Amazon is going to choose Pittsburgh. It will be a a tide that lifts all boats. The population decline will reverse and the income equality will magically erase. People aren’t going to fight. The city and its residents are going to welcome them with open arms. The politicians of this city will be remembered fondly like president FDR for growing the ecomy. PWSA will become a solvent agency delivering the best and most lead free water in the US. It will be like drinking spring water from the Rockies. The amazon package is the most fair and looks out for the citizens of Pittsburgh. Amazon will decide to partner with these great politicians and provide affordable housing. Home wood will become the next model for gentrification. Pittsburgh public schools will become blue ribbon, exceeding USC and mt Lebanon. Mayor Peduto is so enthralled with amazon he decides to drop the wage tax from 3 to 1 percent. Pittsburgh is the next Mecca in the new economy.
Much of this could actually happen, BUT one thing WON'T! You seem to forget once a tax is in place it is forever. PA Turnpike was temporary toll road. Onarodo Tax? Taxes ALWAYS increase and never decrease and we will always get less for our tax dollar. Now if the do come here, which would be great, we would probably see better schools and infrastructure, not to mention a better airport. It would be a win for all that work hard in our area, but might not be great for the porch sitting folks that don't do much.

Old 07-17-2018, 07:22 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbr56 View Post
See. you literally have nothing to say. I respect purposeful debate, I hate pointless debate. You chose to not address a single point of rebuttal to your position. Your childish answer just affirms your real intention on here.

Stated another, entirely different, way - every city on the list has issues. Amazon will not solve everyone's problems. Some new problems will occur. For all cities. Your position that Pittsburgh is unique is ridiculous.
Oh, it was sarcasm. That seems to be acceptable here from some posters. And as I've been told so many times on other issues, the topic is "Why not, Pittsburgh". It's not about "every city on the list".

Old 07-17-2018, 08:25 AM

5,110 posts, read 7,143,858 times
Sigh.

Old 07-18-2018, 03:51 AM

615 posts, read 394,574 times
Most people believe the main reason Pittsburgh made this Amazon list is because of Carnegie Mellon University.

I don’t have the newest data but in 2015 CMU graduated 146 students with computer science degrees. Of the 146 only 77 percent opted to search for full time employment while the others went to grad school or other.

In 2016 there were nearly 7,000 people that applied for the computer science college at CMU. They accepted 205.

Very small in numbers. It is enough to support the east liberty tech scene, but doesn’t appear strong enough for 50K jobs.

Old 07-18-2018, 06:49 AM

3,291 posts, read 2,775,957 times
Why would you assume all the jobs will be filled by computer science majors? Any city they choose they are going to need to recruit from many other places, regardless.

Old 07-18-2018, 08:48 AM

2,109 posts, read 2,161,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Buster View Post
Why would you assume all the jobs will be filled by computer science majors? Any city they choose they are going to need to recruit from many other places, regardless.
And specifically, computer science undergrads.

Old 07-18-2018, 06:54 PM

615 posts, read 394,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Buster View Post
When locals talk about CMU they make it sound like they are graduating large armies of high tech folks. As an outsider spoke with me and had the misconception that there are hundreds if not a few thousand or more tech folks graduating there each year. It is a very small university and some locals make it seem much larger in volume for graduating folks than what is is.. It is very important to the city and is probably just enough to handle the current opportunities available in the city.

And my point was that yes they will have to recruit from elsewhere to get the volume of folks needed to fill the amazon jobs. It’s sad that in a metro of 2.3 million people you don’t have the talent available on hand to fill amazons wants and needs. Will they be able to get folks to move here and keep them? That’s the million dollar question. Preaching lower salary for cost of living is not gonna do it either. That is a gimmick that’s failed up to this point. It’s much easier to do in a city that is already growing vs one on the decline.

This is a big reason why they were asking about bike lines, housing and quality of life stuff. And would people want to stay here.

That said I can’t imagine a flood of thousands of new folks with our current state and condition of housing stock in most city and first ring suburban neighborhoods. It would have to improve and in a hurry. Would there be enough contractors to handle the volume and is their workforce strong enough? Lots of tangibles in play.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh