Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 07:26 AM

114 posts, read 350,304 times

Advertisements

So I've heard a lot about what people do like about Pittsburgh...what don't you like? Thanks!

Old 03-18-2008, 07:43 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,009,142 times
(1) A lot of cloudy days.

(2) Few direct international flights.

(3) The people I know who live in other places are unlikely to visit unless it is specifically to visit us.

Old 03-18-2008, 08:03 AM

1,437 posts, read 3,775,220 times
1. Slow drivers! I am amazed at the number of people that drive well under the speed limit here. Step on it!

2. Negativity from the locals. They don't realize what a good area this is to live because they've never been anywhere else.

3. Taxes

That's about all I can think of for now, I've really enjoyed my first year and a half living in the 'Burgh.

Old 03-18-2008, 08:50 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,367,163 times
I agree with your 1 and 2, Mugatu. I was driving home on the parkway east last weekend, and I passed several cars going under 50. I can't imagine any other city where people drive *below* the speed limit on the highway. And bought a house 2 years ago, and I'm still eyed suspiciously by the neighbors because I'm new. Many of the older folks have lived on the same street their whole lives.

Old 03-18-2008, 08:53 AM

158 posts, read 527,070 times
I don't like:
1)lack of sunshine, lack of sunshine, and general lack of sunshine.
2)that winters are getting too mild (meaning cold rain instead of snow)
3)this should be number one: THAT THERE ARE NO YOUNG PEOPLE!!! (I can't find a decent girl to date, seriously. All my friends have this problem, unless they are willing to really compromise). We are once again the oldest county in the country. Woohoo.
4)job market generally sucks (though that doesn't really affect me these days)
5)Frankly, this insanely intense love of the sports teams gets old.

Old 03-18-2008, 08:53 AM

103 posts, read 269,777 times
hows the jobs in pittsburgh

Old 03-18-2008, 08:54 AM

40 posts, read 181,807 times
I have a love/hate relationship with the topography and roads. The city is beautiful with the hills and rivers but it makes for some convoluted ways to get from here to there.
Coming from Colorado, directions were simple and roads were wide and straight (until you hit the mountains...)
Here, 279 South is the Parkway West and is also 22/30 and becomes 60 north once you hit Robinson. It really messed with my head when I first moved here.
I don't really like that your house has to be built on a hill--I always liked my flat yard as a kid.

Property taxes.
Potholes.

Old 03-18-2008, 09:53 AM

39 posts, read 145,132 times
There's nothing about this sorry a** city that i do like. I'm leaving by the end of next year, hopefully sooner.

Old 03-18-2008, 10:28 AM

2,039 posts, read 6,322,066 times
Talking Pittsburgh has it's good and bad points

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smily Gladshanks View Post
I don't like:
1)lack of sunshine, lack of sunshine, and general lack of sunshine.
2)that winters are getting too mild (meaning cold rain instead of snow)
3)this should be number one: THAT THERE ARE NO YOUNG PEOPLE!!! (I can't find a decent girl to date, seriously. All my friends have this problem, unless they are willing to really compromise). We are once again the oldest county in the country. Woohoo.
4)job market generally sucks (though that doesn't really affect me these days)
5)Frankly, this insanely intense love of the sports teams gets old.
Well I have to agree with the LACK of sunshine! I'm originally from Buffalo and even BUFFALO HAS MORE SUNSHINE!!!!! I lived in Seattle and it's even greyer than there. I think the greyness is what gives the general population it's "I hate my life and Pittsburgh" attitude. If only the sun could pop out at least once or twice during the week in the winter, it wouldn't be so dreary.

The old people thing. Yeah, everytime I'd go into the stores or any business for that matter, most of the people were grey haired. I noticed that too, but I also have seen that in many eastern cities like Buffalo, Cleveland, etc. At least the seniors seem to be pretty nice.

The Black and Yellow thing, yeah that drove us nuts. It makes the whole city look strange. I suppose if what they were wearing was at least decent and the people wearing the items weren't so darn overweight, it wouldn't be so bad. I've never seen so many sloppy people in my life! (Seattle was grungy, but that was mostly trendy amongst the younger generations.)

The general dirtiness/gritiness of the city. Pittsburgh - the "city" is not horrible. It has many activites to enjoy. But there is garbage everywhere. I've never seen so much litter strewn about and crapped up front yards. I realize the roads are antiquated, that can't be helped, it's the nature of the topography. But must everyone empty their car ashtrays in the street? Can't people put that piece of garbage into their purse or pocket until they find a garbage can? I could not believe how inconsiderate nearly everyone I watched walking from the stadiums were about the garbage. I've never seen anything like it. Old is one thing, dirty is another. That was one of my biggest pet peeves when we lived there. (Still do until our house in Florida is finished.)

The HICKS. OH. MY. G-D.
I know I will offend SO many people, but seriously, there are no suburbs here! It is all rural. (I am NOT talking about the CITY of Pittsburgh) There are established suburbs you will find in certain areas of Bethal Park, Mt. Lebanon, etc, but many are becoming pretty run down now. (Please, this is my SUBJECTIVE OPINION!)
Want a newer house? Better be prepared to drive 20 minutes or more to the grocery store. And these so-called suburbs have NO SIDEWALKS! WTF?

Have kids? Better be prepared to drive them everywhere because they ceratinly can't walk or ride their bikes. I would not allow my teenager to walk along the side of the road - there aren't even any shoulders of the road! WAY too dangerous!

Taxes are really high for what you get for your money. It's a shame the government can't find better ways to manage the money. Looking at other places, you get WAY MORE for your taxes than you do here in Pittsburgh. I really don't mind high taxes, but at least make me feel like I'm getting my moneys worth!

The inability to purchase alcohol or beer in a grocery store. What a pain in the a*s it is to have to do your grocery shopping in one place and to get your alcohol from a completely different place. It wouldn't be such a problem, but the weather is so crappy most times that it's not a pleasant experience to have to run out of your vehicle into the pouring, freezing rain to get alcohol. And the fact you cannot buy a 6 pack or beer/wine coolers at these beer stores is even MORE ridicuous! So now you have ANOTHER trip you have to make to a BAR (hoping it's open in the AM) unless you want to buy beer by the case load. And wait, you still have to go out to ANOTHER place to get a bottle of wine!
It's the most inconvenient place I have ever lived.
WAY too much work to be worth my while.

My experience with the slow drivers hasn't been all that bad. Most times if you are traveling fast in the left hand lane and someone ahead of you is traveling at a slower pace, the drivers seem to scoot right over so you can pass. I think the drivers here are the most considerate in the country!

But the most important thing is, if you were born and raised in Pittsburgh, you are used to all this and you probably find it endearing. Home is where your heart is. What drove ME nuts, others may find to be to their liking. Every area has their quirks, but this area had a few too many for me.

Old 03-18-2008, 11:16 AM

439 posts, read 1,474,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachlover1 View Post
There's nothing about this sorry a** city that i do like. I'm leaving by the end of next year, hopefully sooner.
Can't wait!

Let me be the first to say GOODBYE!!! Your negativity will surely be missed!!

My list:

Potholes
Backward attitude/resistance to change of many of the older residents
Redundant local government in surrounding areas

Last edited by raynist; 03-18-2008 at 11:27 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh