Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2019, 11:46 AM

18 posts, read 27,940 times

Advertisements

I've spent a few days combing these archives for recommendations and decided to make my own post to see what you guys think.

My husband got a job in Shadyside, so we are moving from western Massachusetts this summer. (Closer to our families in Ohio). We're excited. We visited in October during his interview and really liked the city.

Some info:
  • We do have a school aged kid, but schools are not a dealbreaker. We currently homeschool our son (oldest of 3 kids, only one school age) for logistical reasons (we like to be able to travel when we want), so I'm fine continuing to do that. We aren't opposed to cheap Catholic schools either. I don't need the most amazing schools ever, just ones they won't be physically harmed.
  • Our budget is about $275K since the higher property tax will make up a big chunk of our monthly payment. We need 2-4 bedrooms and somewhat of a yard (can be tiny, just a place for the kids to get out).
  • Sidewalks are essential and having stuff to walk to is ideal (library, coffee, etc). I hate having to do all my errands by car and like to be active.
  • Relatively safe - I just want to feel safe running alone as a woman.
  • Diverse - I want to raise my kids around people who are different than them. ie: not like 80% white (Not starting any debates, just important to us!)

We are trying to figure out how to narrow down our neighborhood search and wanted to see if we're missing anything on our list.
  • Regent Square seems to fit in well with our ideals, but there isn't much on the market in our price range.
  • Dormont/Mt. Leb seem great but friends in Pittsburgh have advised us we don't want that commute to Shadyside every day.
  • How would the Bellvue commute be? It seems to hit a lot on our list, but not diverse.
  • Is Greenfield safe? Walkable?

Where else should we be looking? Squirrel Hill and Shadyside seem great, but are definitely over our budget. :-/

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2019, 12:02 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,632,563 times
Hello, and welcome in advance to our city!

You're unfortunately finding that Pittsburgh isn't quite as "dirt cheap" as some coastal transplants on here proclaim it is, especially if you want to live in a safe, walkable, diverse, "crunchy" neighborhoods of sorts.

Some places that came to mind for you to consider?

Aspinwall (not very diverse, though, and your budget will be tight here)
Bellevue (admittedly not the best of commutes to Shadyside but it ticks all the other boxes)
Bloomfield (very urban---small lot sizes/yards, highly walkable and tons of transit/bike lanes, medium diversity by Pittsburgh's standards, very close to Shadyside---certainly biking distance)
Brookline (walkable main drag, safe, nice homes in your price range, mostly white, not a bad commute by car through the Liberty Tunnel and then up to Bigelow Boulevard and down Baum Boulevard into Shadyside)
Crafton (like Bellevue it's not a great commute to Shadyside; however, it does tick all the other boxes)
East Allegheny (Shadyside would be about 20 minutes away via car; neighborhood is in various stages of gentrifying; reasonably diverse; reasonably safe; reasonably walkable)
Friendship (your budget will be tight here, too, as it would be in Aspinwall; walking distance to the Penn Avenue or Liberty Avenue business districts; super close to Shadyside and the East End shopping areas)
Garfield (probably most diverse offering on this list; close to Shadyside; budget-friendly; decently walkable; still a bit rough around the edges the further uphill you get away from Penn Avenue)
Greenfield (not as well-polished as the rest of the East End, but it's still home to many liberal younger professional families, is safe, and is within your budget)
Morningside (southern 1/3 or so of the neighborhood, where Eschaton lives, is semi-walkable to East Liberty or Highland Park business districts, is safe, is reasonably diverse, and is family-friendly)

Old 03-08-2019, 12:09 PM

I also think you need to accept that the entire region is still largely a "zebra" (Caucasian or African-American) area. Many South Asians and Latin Americans self-congregate in a select few areas. Shadyside and Squirrel Hill are very diverse, but, alas, are uber-expensive, as you already saw. Race relations are better in Pittsburgh than in some other cities but they still aren't perfect here. To find a truly "diverse", safe, walkable, left-leaning sort of neighborhood <$275,000 is going to be tough here.

Old 03-08-2019, 12:09 PM

29,747 posts, read 34,404,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amwangel View Post
Regent Square seems to fit in well with our ideals, but there isn't much on the market in our price range.
A lot of people I know (university-affiliated professionals, mostly) who are being priced out of Regent Square are buying in Swissvale and Braddock Hills.

Old 03-08-2019, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
A lot of people I know (university-affiliated professionals, mostly) who are being priced out of Regent Square are buying in Swissvale and Braddock Hills.
Oh! I like the suggestion of Swissvale. Relatively walkable (depending upon what part of the borough). Affordably-priced. Reasonably-safe (again, depending upon what part of the borough---the parts closer to the city proper and Edgewood are generally safer/more desirable). Diverse. Edgewood Towne Centre has a lot of shopping/dining. There's a library. Pharmacies. Banks. Etc.

Braddock Hills is not a place I'd suggest because it's not at all "walkable".

Old 03-08-2019, 12:12 PM

3,711 posts, read 2,700,987 times
You can buy the best nicest home in Dormont for under your budget and it has everything you want except for the short commute. And it's not as diverse as it should be. Yet hopefully. Otherwise maybe Garfield but homes in the East End area are pricey even in the less desirable areas. I love Brookline too. Anyway welcome!

Old 03-08-2019, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalewskimm View Post
You can buy the best nicest home in Dormont for under your budget and it has everything you want except for the short commute. And it's not as diverse as it should be. Yet hopefully. Otherwise maybe Garfield but homes in the East End area are pricey even in the less desirable areas. I love Brookline too. Anyway welcome!
I absolutely adore Dormont, but I just feel like the drive to Shadyside daily would drive me insane. Likewise Brookline is an almost identical commute to Shadyside. Crafton and Bellevue would be sort of rough, too. I just think the OP should still consider Dormont, Brookline, Crafton, and Bellevue, though, because they're all great neighborhoods/suburbs that tick all the other boxes besides smooth commute.

Old 03-08-2019, 12:20 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,132,504 times
Does your husband work normal 8-5 type hours? Honestly getting many places is not bad outside of commute times but it also depends on what you are used to in terms of traffic.

$275k should give you good options but some of the areas I would consider more walkable maybe not unless you are open on the condition.

I agree on the about maybe meeting what you want. Brookline was my first thought, Crafton but yeah the commute is a little more and walkable would depend on what area. Bellevue is pretty walkable overall and $275k would likely get you a nice renovated home but at rush hour might be more of a commute than you want though its comparable to most other city commutes.

Really its the walkable part that limits, there are other places that are semi walkable to some things but maybe not a grocery store.

Old 03-08-2019, 12:22 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,132,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I absolutely adore Dormont, but I just feel like the drive to Shadyside daily would drive me insane. Likewise Brookline is an almost identical commute to Shadyside. Crafton and Bellevue would be sort of rough, too. I just think the OP should still consider Dormont, Brookline, Crafton, and Bellevue, though, because they're all great neighborhoods/suburbs that tick all the other boxes besides smooth commute.

I love Dormont as well but there is just too much traffic in general for me there. Just a personal preference, its not like its bumper to bumper but I've never felt like it was quiet.

Old 03-08-2019, 12:34 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,038,833 times
Quote:
I've spent a few days combing these archives for recommendations and decided to make my own post to see what you guys think.

My husband got a job in Shadyside, so we are moving from western Massachusetts this summer. (Closer to our families in Ohio). We're excited. We visited in October during his interview and really liked the city.
I went to school at UMass and spent six years of my life in total various places in Western Mass. Whereabouts are you coming from exactly?

Quote:
Some info:
  • We do have a school aged kid, but schools are not a dealbreaker. We currently homeschool our son (oldest of 3 kids, only one school age) for logistical reasons (we like to be able to travel when we want), so I'm fine continuing to do that. We aren't opposed to cheap Catholic schools either. I don't need the most amazing schools ever, just ones they won't be physically harmed.
  • Our budget is about $275K since the higher property tax will make up a big chunk of our monthly payment. We need 2-4 bedrooms and somewhat of a yard (can be tiny, just a place for the kids to get out).
  • Sidewalks are essential and having stuff to walk to is ideal (library, coffee, etc). I hate having to do all my errands by car and like to be active.
  • Relatively safe - I just want to feel safe running alone as a woman.
  • Diverse - I want to raise my kids around people who are different than them. ie: not like 80% white (Not starting any debates, just important to us!)
These are all fairly easy to accomplish in that price range. People sometimes complain about Pittsburgh Public Schools, but there are robust magnet options here, and a range of different neighborhood schools, from actually good to mediocre to bad. That budget does not price you out of more than a handful of neighborhoods. Safety would not be an issue anywhere with housing at that price in Pittsburgh (the actually unsafe areas are way cheaper than that). Diversity would be a bit harder, as outside of Squirrel Hill/Shadyside Pittsburgh is basically just a black and white city.

What are your feelings on living in a rowhouse? It opens up a lot more options at that price range in walkable neighborhoods. Also, do you guys feel comfortable with a fixer upper? I'm guessing no with three small children.

Quote:
[*]Regent Square seems to fit in well with our ideals, but there isn't much on the market in our price range.
Yeah, there isn't much on the market right now in Regent Square, though we're still about a month from the busy time for listings. Note that it's actually split between four different municipalities. The city section is actually the most desirable, because it has the best public schools and the lowest taxes. The Swissvale/Edgewood sections have high property taxes and not great schools. The Wilkinsburg section has even higher taxes and atrocious schools, even though it's safe.

Quote:
[*]Dormont/Mt. Leb seem great but friends in Pittsburgh have advised us we don't want that commute to Shadyside every day.
Yes. Do not live outside the South hills if you work in the East End. That's a hell commute, whether by car or transit.

Also, that area would fail your desire for diversity.

Quote:
[*]How would the Bellvue commute be? It seems to hit a lot on our list, but not diverse.
Bellevue is getting more diverse, as lower-income black people are gentrified out of the city. I think the big selling point there is there's some amazing historic housing stock if you look around. That said, the commute isn't great to the East End - though better than the South Hills.

Quote:
[*]Is Greenfield safe? Walkable?
Very safe, and with some of the better public schools in the city. Walkable depends. There are two different business districts in the neighborhood, but topography is rugged, meaning it can range from walkable to very suburban.

Quote:
Where else should we be looking? Squirrel Hill and Shadyside seem great, but are definitely over our budget. :-/
You are not absolutely priced out of Shadyside or Squirrel Hill at that range. This is in Shadyside, and is a good location. Some homes in far southern Squirrel Hill come up which are affordable too, though this area is less walkable, and the local school is a bit less desirable (Minadeo vs. Colfax).

If you're okay with rowhouses, I would suggest looking in Lawrenceville. You can get a three-bedroom house in the neighborhood at that price, most of which will have a small backyard. In terms of detached houses in the area, this is a bit above your price range, but cute. This rowhouse near the Bloomfield/Lawrenceville border has a lot of charm as well.

My own neighborhood of Morningside is another potential option. It's very safe and crawling with kids. Unfortunately we haven't had a coffee shop since the last one closed about two years ago, but we do have a small business district with a pub, Rite Aid, and some other essentials. There's a bus which goes right through Shadyside (75) meaning your husband wouldn't have to drive to work). There's only a few houses on the market right now at your price range though, such as this.

I'd also look at Bloomfield, Friendship, Garfield, East Liberty, and Highland Park, but there's really not much on the market now in your price range I'd personally be interested in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh