Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2019, 03:49 PM

130 posts, read 122,605 times

Advertisements

The commute to shadyside from Bellevue isn't that bad. Probably a half hour. The commute back home around 5 can be rough though (could be over 45 mins). We live in Brighton Heights (next to Bellevue) and my wife made that commute at 8a and it was fine. Her work day was over at 9 though so she missed out on the rush hour traffic home. The nice thing about Bellevue is you can take 65 or 279. So if there's construction or an accident you have other options. The only bottleneck on 65 is the McKees Rocks Bridge intersection. Before and after that it's pretty clear. If he's only making that commute 3 days a week that's very tolerable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2019, 06:31 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,034,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amwangel View Post
Northampton! We go over to Amherst often. We love it here but housing to live somewhere walkable are like minimum of $400K. How'd you end up in Pittsburgh? Or how'd you end up at U Mass if you're from there?
I actually am from Connecticut, though I went to UMass for undergrad (and a Masters) for various reasons, including not wanting to stay in my home state and getting a deal on New England regional tuition. I never lived in Noho, but I had friends who lived there, and well after I left, my mom retired to Northampton. She spends most of her time here now to be with her grandkids, but still has a condo near downtown.

I originally moved to Pittsburgh for a job in my mid 20s. I'm going to be 40 this year. Amazing how time flies.

Old 03-11-2019, 11:43 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,532,111 times
The property tax situation isn't as straightforward as you think. The City of Pittsburgh has lower property taxes but a higher income tax compared with suburbs. So, keep that in mind.

Also, some of the neighborhoods mentioned are huge. So, a house's location within the neighborhood would be very important.

If I were you my first choice would be Squirrel Hill. However, finding a house in the right spot within your budget is gonna be tough. The reason I like Squirrel Hill is that is clearly the most walkable. Not even close.

Old 03-11-2019, 11:50 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,034,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post
If I were you my first choice would be Squirrel Hill. However, finding a house in the right spot within your budget is gonna be tough. The reason I like Squirrel Hill is that is clearly the most walkable. Not even close.
This really isn't true. Parts of Squirrel Hill are highly walkable, but if you're say in the Murdoch Farms area, somewhere in the far south like Mt. Royal Road, or just off of Wilkins, it's quite a hike on foot to the business district.

In contrast, somewhere like Lawrenceville or Bloomfield is more or less walkable all over. Less classically family friendly of course, but if the OP isn't either concerned with school feeder patterns or a detached house, I don't think that matters.

Even Shadyside is more "walkable all over" - though the westernmost portions can be quite a hike to Walnut Street.

Old 03-11-2019, 01:19 PM

233 posts, read 136,931 times
you can get squirrel hill house around that price, but it depends on what you are looking for in the house.
i know a 4 bedrooms 2 bathroom house with detached garage close to Blue Slide park is going on market around that price range. Fully remodeled.

Old 03-12-2019, 03:40 PM

969 posts, read 772,565 times
This might be of interest, but it will sell fast.

Pittsburgh part of Regent Square for $240k

https://www.redfin.com/PA/Pittsburgh.../home/74516738

Old 03-12-2019, 04:08 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,132,021 times
Yes it is definitely possible, just have to act quick and they do not come up often. The house across the street from that looks to be not quite as nice and is under contract listed at $240k (though it hasn't closed so not sure the sale price). Another down the block sold a few months ago for $245k but not as nice. a few blocks west and most were up near 300k. Heck the house nextdoor sold a year ago for $251k, will be interesting to see where this one goes. within 1/2 mile radius there are only 7 for sale and 5 are 375-500+. The other is about 120k and needs some bigger updates.

Old 03-13-2019, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
This really isn't true. Parts of Squirrel Hill are highly walkable, but if you're say in the Murdoch Farms area, somewhere in the far south like Mt. Royal Road, or just off of Wilkins, it's quite a hike on foot to the business district.

In contrast, somewhere like Lawrenceville or Bloomfield is more or less walkable all over. Less classically family friendly of course, but if the OP isn't either concerned with school feeder patterns or a detached house, I don't think that matters.

Even Shadyside is more "walkable all over" - though the westernmost portions can be quite a hike to Walnut Street.

As I said above some of the neighborhoods are huge. Squirrel Hill is definitely huge but the business district is also huge. The reason I feel that it has tons of amenities, stores, coffee, restaurants, library, community center, post office, drug stores, grocery store, movie theater, etc. You just have to live in the right spot. If you do then it is the best walkable neighborhood in Pittsburgh.

Old 03-13-2019, 10:49 AM

233 posts, read 136,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post

As I said above some of the neighborhoods are huge. Squirrel Hill is definitely huge but the business district is also huge. The reason I feel that it has tons of amenities, stores, coffee, restaurants, library, community center, post office, drug stores, grocery store, movie theater, etc. You just have to live in the right spot. If you do then it is the best walkable neighborhood in Pittsburgh.
walkable wise, just avoid 15218 squirrel hill, which is Swisshelm Park

Old 03-13-2019, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdv8 View Post
This might be of interest, but it will sell fast.

Pittsburgh part of Regent Square for $240k

https://www.redfin.com/PA/Pittsburgh.../home/74516738

Not sure I would call that Regent Square. Isn't that called Park Place? There used to be a sign there that said it was Park Place.

This is one of those houses that are "walkable" but isn't exactly close to the business district.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh