Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2019, 07:50 AM

2,860 posts, read 1,902,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Highmark Health is contributing $35 million to help develop a student health, wellness and athletics center at Carnegie Mellon University, the Downtown-based insurer and health system announced Thursday.

https://www.post-gazette.com/busines...s/201911070109
CMU's endowment is approximately $2 billion dollars. (https://www.cmu.edu/news/stories/arc...ent-grows.html)

Highmark just did layoffs.
The glorious Peoples Republic of Pittsburgh just decided to jack up taxes to maintain the Parks.

The idiotic Mayor is more interested in fellating tech companies and trying to take away guns instead of doing his job - and, oh I dont know, fighting against the non-profits (like Highmark) who dont pay taxes and who the Mayor's predecessor began to sue to challenge their tax-exempt status. But Great Progressive Peduto ended the lawsuit (six years ago) so that he could 'negotiate' with the non-profits for 'Payments In Lieu Of Taxes'.

So Highmark doesn't have money to pay all of their workers, so they lay some off. Including a friend of mine.
But they have enough money to give a HUGE grant to a private university that is sitting on billions of its own dollars. This will be for a private recreation center for those who can pay the astronomical price of admission to this world-class university.

Meanwhile, the City doesn't have enough money for its public parks - which are for the public's recreation. So they fleece the taxpayers for more money by jacking up taxes. And they continue to allow 'non-profit' entities like Highmark get away without paying taxes that would benefit the public.

If a place like Highmark, or UPMC, were actually paying their fair share of taxes - then maybe the public wouldn't have to cough up more money to cover the alleged shortfall in Parks funding.

The corruption, nepotism, mismanagement, elitism, and hypocrisy of the local Democratic Party just boggles my mind - as does the mindlessness with which the local residents continue to vote for the same party for the last 90 years, as it continues to fleece the average taxpayer here.

This situation is sickening and is so wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2019, 07:55 AM

2,109 posts, read 2,161,058 times
I am so confused. A deal between two private entities, which presumably is designed to benefit them both, is somehow related to parks and Bill Peduto?

Old 11-07-2019, 07:58 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,159,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsStanwix? View Post
I am so confused. A deal between two private entities, which presumably is designed to benefit them both, is somehow related to parks and Bill Peduto?
Yeah, I wasn't on board with the parks tax for a couple reasons, but this is a bizarre rant even by him.... He doesn't even live in the city so it literally has no impact on his life. I mean, I wouldn't have voted for it, but I don't live in the city now, so at the end of the day it's their choice to bring it in and not my problem, so I'm not going to rant on here about it.

Old 11-07-2019, 08:00 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,970,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
Yeah, I wasn't on board with the parks tax for a couple reasons, but this is a bizarre rant even by him....
A person who will not pay the parks tax, because he does not live in the city.

Old 11-07-2019, 08:04 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,159,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
A person who will not pay the parks tax, because he does not live in the city.
Yep, zero impact on his life. What did conservatives say in 2016 about what to do if election results don't go your way again?

Does he not realize a majority of voters chose this tax too? It wasn't the city's decision to "jack up the taxes"....

Old 11-07-2019, 08:13 AM

969 posts, read 772,975 times
Pretty triggered for a tax that doesn't even impact you in any negative way. In fact you can now enjoy nicer parks in the city without contributing anything yourself. You are welcome, or not.

Old 11-07-2019, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyovan4 View Post
CMU's endowment is approximately $2 billion dollars. (https://www.cmu.edu/news/stories/arc...ent-grows.html)

Highmark just did layoffs.
The glorious Peoples Republic of Pittsburgh just decided to jack up taxes to maintain the Parks.

The idiotic Mayor is more interested in fellating tech companies and trying to take away guns instead of doing his job - and, oh I dont know, fighting against the non-profits (like Highmark) who dont pay taxes and who the Mayor's predecessor began to sue to challenge their tax-exempt status. But Great Progressive Peduto ended the lawsuit (six years ago) so that he could 'negotiate' with the non-profits for 'Payments In Lieu Of Taxes'.

So Highmark doesn't have money to pay all of their workers, so they lay some off. Including a friend of mine.
But they have enough money to give a HUGE grant to a private university that is sitting on billions of its own dollars. This will be for a private recreation center for those who can pay the astronomical price of admission to this world-class university.

Meanwhile, the City doesn't have enough money for its public parks - which are for the public's recreation. So they fleece the taxpayers for more money by jacking up taxes. And they continue to allow 'non-profit' entities like Highmark get away without paying taxes that would benefit the public.

If a place like Highmark, or UPMC, were actually paying their fair share of taxes - then maybe the public wouldn't have to cough up more money to cover the alleged shortfall in Parks funding.

The corruption, nepotism, mismanagement, elitism, and hypocrisy of the local Democratic Party just boggles my mind - as does the mindlessness with which the local residents continue to vote for the same party for the last 90 years, as it continues to fleece the average taxpayer here.

This situation is sickening and is so wrong.
To your bolded statement, my guess is this is not the case. I believe you are talking about layoffs at HM Health Solutions, which is a subsidiary Highmark built to offer IT and other services to other Blues plans. That division hasn't been able to generate as much business as they anticipated, so the business itself probably needed to be restructured and downsized. This subsidiary, which employs over 2000 and maybe even close to 3000 people, has < $1m in annual revenue. In other words, it is bleeding money, but they're still employing a lot of people.

https://www.bizjournals.com/pittsbur...employees.html

Old 11-07-2019, 11:17 AM

1,952 posts, read 1,132,935 times
Yeah you can not compare a companies overall to layoffs in a specific area. It is very common for a large company to have large layoffs while at the same time do mass hirings. Large companies are basically many companies in one with various divisions. One division is lacking the others don't support it, it gets cut. Business not Charity.

Old 11-07-2019, 12:50 PM

153 posts, read 115,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyovan4 View Post
It appears you know neither of two things: from whom endowments are received by universities nor why only a small percentage of universities’ endowments can be spent each year on operations or capital investments.

Old 11-07-2019, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knepper3 View Post
Yeah you can not compare a companies overall to layoffs in a specific area. It is very common for a large company to have large layoffs while at the same time do mass hirings. Large companies are basically many companies in one with various divisions. One division is lacking the others don't support it, it gets cut. Business not Charity.
In fairness, the bolded is why many are livid over the non-profit status of these large corporations. I always thought it made sense to not pay corporate income tax as a non-profit - there aren't technically profits to tax. Not paying property tax, however, is a head scratcher to me.

That said, while the issues I raise are likely of concern to the OP and many others (including me), they don't really explain why it is a problem that two entities operating within the confines of laws they are subject to are chastised for entering a mutually-beneficial agreement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh