Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2021, 10:12 PM

994 posts, read 901,302 times

Advertisements

Peduto might be able to win as an independent, but he would take a ton flack for it. So I don't think so. He can earn a higher salary as a consultant or Exec Dir of some non profit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2021, 10:23 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,213,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainDewGuy View Post
Peduto might be able to win as an independent, but he would take a ton flack for it. So I don't think so. He can earn a higher salary as a consultant or Exec Dir of some non profit.
Imo Pedutos days are numbered. Weakness carried him this far and his supporters relished in it, but he was in favor of not defunding the police and even more policing. In a Dem/lib city these days it’s becoming the kiss of death.

Old 05-19-2021, 03:48 AM

2,860 posts, read 1,901,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
IMO, it's a very Yinzer move to get rid of a guy who was drawing investment to the city and changing the city's image for the better. Just my outside opinion and view from the other side of the state.

You can throw OnePGH Resilience Strategy - The Need to Support People, Planet, Place, and Performance. in the garbage.
You dont seem to know what youre talking about. You dont live here to see the gentrification - or to realize that the entire development model was based around attracting the tech industry and tech workers to move here and make the city their playground. Peduto's base was developers and people who didn't live in Pgh - he hasn't done anything to advance economic opportunities for Pgh's existing residents who don't have graduate degrees.

As for OnePGH - who cares? That was also classic Peduto - something that he could thump his chest on Twitter about and brag to outsiders while he attends conferences. Meanwhile that clown who calls for billions of dollars in public spending for green initiatives can't even be bothered to take his personally-owned car in for an inspection and emissions check for more than a year. I work within spitting distance of the City-County Building and see his car daily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley Barker View Post
Maybe I missed this in the candidates' platforms, but I will never understand how a candidate for mayor of Pittsburgh (only 25% of the population of Allegheny County) has nothing to say about finding ways to work more cooperatively to consolodate services (dare I say annex like-minded, adjacent communities - Penn Hills, Dormont, Bellvue, Crafton, etc.) with the crazy, inefficient, inbred 130+ municipalities (!) in this county. It would certainly help leverage more state and federal resources. I think it really holds back the entire region.
Because annexation needs to be approved by both municipalities - and who would want to be part of the cesspool of City of Pittsburgh public services and also the failing Pittsburgh Public Schools?

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Imo Pedutos days are numbered. Weakness carried him this far and his supporters relished in it, but he was in favor of not defunding the police and even more policing. In a Dem/lib city these days it’s becoming the kiss of death.
Peduto was a clown and a hypocrite. He let BLM attack downtown with impunity and let crackheads roam the streets as part of his 'city for all' crap - but he unleashed the riot squad the moment that stuff spread to Point Breeze or Regent Square. Enough people saw through his hypocritical double-standards.

____

Peduto was a clown and a hypocrite. He was the mayor of the limousine liberals in the East End Peoples Republic of Pittsburgh.
The type of people who cheer while BLM riots downtown, but who sic the riot squad on them when they show up in wealthy white neighborhoods like Point Breeze or Regent Square.
The type of people who proudly put a 'All Are Welcome Here' sign in their yards and who are so upset about the exodus of blacks from the city, but who support policies creating the break-neck gentrification of black neighborhoods in the East End.

Peduto was a disgraceful sack of crap who loved to talk-the-talk on Twitter and at conferences in Sweden or Cuba. I may not agree with Gainey on everything - but I at least have respect for him that he's going to be a lot more likely to walk-the-walk than Bicycle Bill.

Old 05-19-2021, 04:41 AM

3,829 posts, read 1,686,336 times
Mayor East End lost last night. I haven’t said much regarding the mayors race, but it was time. Too much pandering to the few elite areas of the east end at the rest of the cities expense. Black folks continuously ate crap under peduto in this city. It’s time to be a city of 90 neighborhoods not just 6 or so Peduto cares about.

Old 05-19-2021, 05:04 AM

2,860 posts, read 1,901,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Independentthinking83 View Post
Mayor East End lost last night. I haven’t said much regarding the mayors race, but it was time. Too much pandering to the few elite areas of the east end at the rest of the cities expense. Black folks continuously ate crap under peduto in this city. It’s time to be a city of 90 neighborhoods not just 6 or so Peduto cares about.
Bingo

Old 05-19-2021, 05:06 AM

32,617 posts, read 77,624,272 times
I voted for Peduto but will certainly support Gainey and wish him well as our presumptive Mayor-Elect.

What sunk Peduto was the BLM vs. Police issue. Period. He tried to skate on a tightrope where he was playing nice to both sides; however, both sides ended up resenting him for this. BLM thought Peduto was too pro-police whereas I work for the police, and almost the entire bureau thought Peduto was anti-police.

The VAST MAJORTY of participants in last year's protests were peaceful. The problem? A select few anarchist narcissists also showed up for "social media cred" or social justice warrior points, at which point the police responded aggressively and ended up ticking off the peaceful protestors in the process.

His progressive rich East End white techie "Zoomin' from home" base turned on him and backed Gainey. The Black community backed Gainey. The "Make Pittsburgh Great Again" folks (most of my colleagues and their families) backed Moreno.

All I can say is that as someone who lives in a violent neighborhood I hope Gainey's intentions on defunding the police won't make my own neighborhood more violent because I would not want to have to shoot someone for breaking into my home and threatening me because they felt emboldened to commit more crime by the decrease in visible police presence going forward.

Old 05-19-2021, 05:25 AM

3,110 posts, read 2,918,581 times
I voted Peduto only because I didn’t think Gainey could pull it off but woke up today feeling pretty good that he did. My Peduto vote was more of an anti-Moreno vote than anything. Dude is a joke, never mind the fact that he almost ran me over on Brookline Blvd going around 50 mph in his obnoxious truck a few weeks ago.

Have to wonder if his win could finally get the annexation of Wilkinsburg moving in a serious direction as he is their state representative.

Old 05-19-2021, 05:27 AM

3,829 posts, read 1,686,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I voted for Peduto but will certainly support Gainey and wish him well as our presumptive Mayor-Elect.

What sunk Peduto was the BLM vs. Police issue. Period. He tried to skate on a tightrope where he was playing nice to both sides; however, both sides ended up resenting him for this. BLM thought Peduto was too pro-police whereas I work for the police, and almost the entire bureau thought Peduto was anti-police.

The VAST MAJORTY of participants in last year's protests were peaceful. The problem? A select few anarchist narcissists also showed up for "social media cred" or social justice warrior points, at which point the police responded aggressively and ended up ticking off the peaceful protestors in the process.

His progressive rich East End white techie "Zoomin' from home" base turned on him and backed Gainey. The Black community backed Gainey. The "Make Pittsburgh Great Again" folks (most of my colleagues and their families) backed Moreno.

All I can say is that as someone who lives in a violent neighborhood I hope Gainey's intentions on defunding the police won't make my own neighborhood more violent because I would not want to have to shoot someone for breaking into my home and threatening me because they felt emboldened to commit more crime by the decrease in visible police presence going forward.

I think Moreno won the Carrick neighborhood and got most of his votes out of the south hills if I am not mistaken? That is forgotten Pittsburgh over there for sure. Not surprising in the least.

Was it the progressive rich East Enders that turned their back on Bill or was it the legacy residents that have always been there? He assumed they would get their vote. If you are one of the younger elites Peduto has been the greatest thing since sliced bread. The rest of the city has been ignored at your expense. Hard to imagine that group turning on him. I think it was black and legacy residents that were fed up and finally did something about it.

I have a lot of hope for Gainey. This city is currently not livable for black residents. The census numbers are going to be the ugly wave goodby to Peduto. Remember Peduto promised to grow the city by 20K residents? Remember he set up talent city to hire the best department heads? A lot of broken promises. Too much pandering to elites and Amazon. Not enough work to help all of Pittsburgh.

Old 05-19-2021, 05:40 AM

41,016 posts, read 18,213,684 times
Quote:

BLM is a violent do nothing for an area group that lives to protest.

Defunding the police isn’t going to help violent neighborhoods. It’s a recipe for violent neighborhoods and beyond to get worse. It’s another be careful what you wish for scenario that’ll soon come to fruition.

Old 05-19-2021, 05:55 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,034,992 times
Looking back in this morning, now that all votes are counted, and the race isn't close. Gainey won by around a 7% spread, and Peduto barely broke 39% of the vote. Unfortunately the county map is using the same colors right now for Peduto and Gainey, meaning there's no easy way to see who won what precincts. Clicking around, it's much the same as I saw last night. Gainey won basically all of the upper East End (Polish Hill, Lawrenceville, Stanton Heights, Highland Park, Bloomfield, Friendship, ect) and made inroads even in Peduto's base of Squirrel Hill/Shadyside. The split in "Yinzer country" was more or less a three-way between Peduto/Gainey/Moreno.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley Barker View Post
Good luck to Mr. Gainey. I am not a city voter but looking from the outside in, it was a very disappointing slate of candidates. Gainey's resume is not very impressive, based on his Wikipedia profile at any rate.
Peduto's resume wasn't really impressive either. When he was first elected to City Council in 2001, he was still a college dropout (only finished his degree in 2007). He served as the rep for the wealthy part of the East End for 12 years, positioning himself as some sort of "anti-machine" candidate against whoever happened to be in power at the time.

Regardless, I have heard from people who have worked in city government that Peduto is a very flawed man in terms of his own personal work ethic. Really inattentive and lazy. There certainly were more credible candidates with decent resumes who could have chosen to take him on...but they didn't, and thus Gainey had the race.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyovan4 View Post
Peduto was a clown and a hypocrite. He was the mayor of the limousine liberals in the East End Peoples Republic of Pittsburgh.
The type of people who cheer while BLM riots downtown, but who sic the riot squad on them when they show up in wealthy white neighborhoods like Point Breeze or Regent Square.
The type of people who proudly put a 'All Are Welcome Here' sign in their yards and who are so upset about the exodus of blacks from the city, but who support policies creating the break-neck gentrification of black neighborhoods in the East End.

Peduto was a disgraceful sack of crap who loved to talk-the-talk on Twitter and at conferences in Sweden or Cuba. I may not agree with Gainey on everything - but I at least have respect for him that he's going to be a lot more likely to walk-the-walk than Bicycle Bill.

I have no idea if he would do it, but the #1 thing that Gainey could do to limit gentrification in Pittsburgh (both in black and white neighborhoods) would be to cut the death grip NIMBYs have in the wealthy parts of the East End. If it wasn't so goddamned hard to build new apartment buildings in Oakland (and basically impossible to upzone in Shadyside and Squirrel Hill) you'd see the expensive market-rate development all going there, which would soak up yuppie demand and stop further incursions into places like East Liberty.

Quote:
I also think Penn Plaza helped do him in. It was not a good look for the city, and the ineffective solution ("you have to build affordable housing here if housing is built" - "okay, we'll build office and retail instead") actively made things worse and made Peduto look weak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
I voted Peduto only because I didn’t think Gainey could pull it off but woke up today feeling pretty good that he did. My Peduto vote was more of an anti-Moreno vote than anything. Dude is a joke, never mind the fact that he almost ran me over on Brookline Blvd going around 50 mph in his obnoxious truck a few weeks ago.
Peduto seems to have done pretty well in Brookline, but I can find at least one precinct that Gainey won. Moreno only won a couple of pockets closer to Overbrook.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
Have to wonder if his win could finally get the annexation of Wilkinsburg moving in a serious direction as he is their state representative.
Interesting idea. Historically the opposition to annexation was in part spurred by black Wilkinsburg residents fearing their voices would be lost in a white city. A black mayor could change the equation.

Quote:
I think Moreno won the Carrick neighborhood and got most of his votes out of the south hills if I am not mistaken? That is forgotten Pittsburgh over there for sure. Not surprising in the least.
Moreno seems to have won Carrick, Overbrook, Arlington, Bon Air, Hays, Lincoln Place, New Homestead, and Summer Hill.

Quote:
Was it the progressive rich East Enders that turned their back on Bill or was it the legacy residents that have always been there? He assumed they would get their vote. If you are one of the younger elites Peduto has been the greatest thing since sliced bread. The rest of the city has been ignored at your expense. Hard to imagine that group turning on him. I think it was black and legacy residents that were fed up and finally did something about it.
The split in the East End seems to be more renter-dominated versus homeowner dominated. Peduto did pretty well still in the precincts of Shadyside/Squirrel Hill which are all expensive single family homes, but he lost precincts which have a lot of multi-family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh